PDA

View Full Version : piston rings question

JR_rivard
08-01-2006, 05:40 PM
my 400ex motor was burning oil like crazy so i tore it apart and got to the piston. When i looked at the rings i realized that my oil ring wasn't ring sticking out at all. It was pretty much level with the piston. My motor was rebuilt 2 summers ago. So i was wondering if that is common or thats the problem why is was burning oil cause the other rings are perfectly fine.

johnsls
08-01-2006, 06:19 PM
GPRACER2500 - Where RU? This sounds like your territory.

If it was rebuilt 2 years ago I think it sounds like it wasn't done properly (but I'm not baching it just sounds like it)

Unless you raced it for the last 2 years then I kinda don't think you should be havin this problem..

WHERE ARE THE PROS?

krt400ex
08-01-2006, 06:26 PM
sounds like the engine was prolly running hot and the rings got jammed into their slots. like they seized. was it running hot?? maybe not enough lubrication. that's all that i can think of. i can tell u that u will need a new piston and rings. u won't be able to get the rings out at all or without scoring the piston.

JR_rivard
08-01-2006, 07:49 PM
no, the piston is fine and the rings came out easily. I sent it to a shop to get rebuilt, i didn't do it myself. So i guess im wondering if that oil ring should stick out noticeably or not that much. But i am going to replace the rings anyways.

GPracer2500
08-01-2006, 08:26 PM
They should "stick-out" some--not as much as the compression rings though. The oil control rings/spacer on an OEM piston don't stick out as much as they do on an aftermarket piston.

krt400ex
08-02-2006, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by JR_rivard
no, the piston is fine and the rings came out easily. I sent it to a shop to get rebuilt, i didn't do it myself. So i guess im wondering if that oil ring should stick out noticeably or not that much. But i am going to replace the rings anyways.

:huh well that confuses me. if they r flush with the piston skirt, usually u won't get them out

JR_rivard
08-03-2006, 03:05 PM
yeah, i dont know i guess cause it came right out. Couldn't it be the it was to small for that piston and that's why it didn't get stuck or stick out. But i'd sure like to think that when u spend alot of money for a dealer to rebuild it they would take the time ot get it right.

krt400ex
08-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by JR_rivard
yeah, i dont know i guess cause it came right out. Couldn't it be the it was to small for that piston and that's why it didn't get stuck or stick out. But i'd sure like to think that when u spend alot of money for a dealer to rebuild it they would take the time ot get it right.

that could be