PDA

View Full Version : do mini's need special rims?

oldyeller
08-01-2006, 10:35 AM
I've been looking at some rims on Ebay but I'm wondering about the hole sizes in the wheels where the studs come through.I noticed when I tried to fit my LTZ 400 rims on our Eton that the holes looked much bigger than the studs so I'm thinking that the rims for mini's would have a smaller hole or is there a trick for fixing this short of changing your studs?

BradLoomis
08-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Open up the holes on the rim to match the larger studs or transfer the bolt pattern a drill new holes at a 45 degree angle from the old pattern. That would make them like the old "Uni Lug" rims.

oldyeller
08-01-2006, 09:12 PM
Brad you've got it backwards.The holes are bigger than the studs.Do aftermarket rims like say the douglas rims have different sized lug holes depending on the rim or are they all the same?

Pappy
08-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Douglas and ITP offer rims in differing sizes and they do have the correct size holes for the mini quad studs.

An area that may need attention howver, is the center hole. On kaseas, you have to open the large center hole on the front rims to clearence a step on the hub itself.

BradLoomis
08-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by oldyeller
Brad you've got it backwards.The holes are bigger than the studs.Do aftermarket rims like say the douglas rims have different sized lug holes depending on the rim or are they all the same?

That is why I mentioned drilling new holes at a 45 from the old, so then you could swap them back and forth if you wanted to. But like Pappy said, watch the center hole.

I am pretty sure that some of the bigger bikes probably have 11 and even 12 mm studs in them versus the 10 mm in most minis. And like the automotive world, the rim manufactures make the rims per model and it is up to the consumer to see what it they might fit.