PDA

View Full Version : Won't start... Just clicks. Pisses me off.

cody anderson
08-01-2006, 06:47 AM
Okay, so here's the deal. My YFZ won't start. It just clicks the solenoid when I hit the start button. I have NO idea what it is. This is what I've check/swapped so far.

New battery
CDI
ground connections
solenoid
fuses

What is going on?!!? I swear to God I'm going to burn it to the ground :scary: .

Also, I tried to take a screw driver and lay it across both points of the solenoid. When you do this, it's SUPPOSE to by pass and start the bike... This is not the case with me.

Anybody have some ideas? Please help!

knelson
08-01-2006, 07:17 AM
more than likely your starters locked up try to run a wire from your positive post of your battery to the post on the starter to see if it spins,(carefull you will have a lot of resistance if your starter is locked up so the wire could and probably will get very hot!good luck and keep us posted:)

cody anderson
08-01-2006, 07:26 AM
How does a starter get locked up? I just put this motor in last week. I took it out of my other bike. When I took it out, both bikes ran just fine. Is it possible the the starter gear is mis aligned with the splines on the shafts from tipping the motor to go in the frame?

knelson
08-01-2006, 07:34 AM
possibly could be not meshing corectly, could be the brushes in the starter not making contact. Your solenoid clicking tells you you either you have low amps or your starters locked when you hold the starter button down does the starter wire get hot? try to take a volt meter and see what you are getting at the starter while button is depressed.

cody anderson
08-01-2006, 08:09 AM
Yea, when I hold it down it gets way hot!

intruder
08-01-2006, 03:25 PM
will the quad start if you push start it.

YFZ450 11x
08-01-2006, 08:48 PM
My buddy had this problem last week and I hope your outcome is better than his.
1 Check battary for voltage it should be around 12v
2 check voltage while pushing start button. It really shouldnt drop off to much
3 Take out your starter gear. Its on the left side of the bike w/ two 8mm bolts in front of the starter.
4 If starter spins put the gear back in and shift the bike into a high gear and pull it behind a car.
5 If the tires wont turn work as much overtime as you possibly can your going to need the money:rolleyes:
At this point you looking at anything from a crank, snaped rod, siesed piston, or a locked tranny.
We tore down my buddys bike and found the rod had siesed in the crank. Good luck

knelson
08-01-2006, 08:48 PM
do not push it (sorry:( )If your starter is bound up, push starting may cause unwanted breakage.take the starter off and bench test it. while starter is off pull your sparkplug,put your bike in gear and see if you can get the motor to cycle over (this should tell you if your motor is locked up) keep us posted:)

cody anderson
08-02-2006, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by intruder
will the quad start if you push start it.

Yes. It WILL push start and run fine.

cody anderson
08-02-2006, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by knelson
do not push it (sorry:( )If your starter is bound up, push starting may cause unwanted breakage.take the starter off and bench test it. while starter is off pull your sparkplug,put your bike in gear and see if you can get the motor to cycle over (this should tell you if your motor is locked up) keep us posted:)

I took the starter gear out last night to make sure that it wasen't bound up in there. It was fine. So then I push started it and it ran just fine... I have no idea what's going on. This is the only thing that has ever stumped me on my bikes! :scary:

Jersey450R
08-02-2006, 07:12 AM
is it an 06...? then the 2 bolts behind the starter might have came out causing it to lock up. search for 06' problems. the early ones, yamaya forgot to tighten these 2 nuts.

cody anderson
08-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Yea, it's an 06 but I already checked that.

I talked with Kevin From Lost Creek Cycles and he said that the post on the stater motor is probably broke on the inside. I thihnk that he's right...:( Oh well, get another one I guess.

atvrulz
08-02-2006, 01:18 PM
You should buy the trail tech rectifier and stator, you’ll never have an electrical problem again. $150 for both from Trail Tech

knelson
08-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Think about it guys, Why is the starter wire getting hot when he presses the starter button?if the positive post was broken inside the starter it just wouldn't work (it would be an open circuit) it wouldn't make the wire hot unless it broke and was grounding out ,which is possible but the post would have to be bent inside touching the caseing (doubtfull).the wire is heating up because it is completing the circuit there is just a lot of resistance from the starter (ie. the starter is locked up or brushes are stuck) take the starter off and bench test it, take it apart, inspect it, learn a little about HOW a starter works. Worst case scenario you buy a new starter (I assume thats what lost creek cycle said to do, if you would like I am a yamaha dealer I can get you one also if you like throwing money around, just trying to save you some coin!)

Also how does a trail tech rectifier and stator fix this problem?

Don't let this stump you:D I deal with mechanical problems all day long this is a cake walk:blah: Keep us posted:)

intruder
08-03-2006, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by atvrulz
You should buy the trail tech rectifier and stator, you’ll never have an electrical problem again. $150 for both from Trail Tech

The 06 doesn't have the problems the 04 and 05 have. Trail Tech is not needed.

Pappy
08-03-2006, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by cody anderson
Yea, it's an 06 but I already checked that.

I talked with Kevin From Lost Creek Cycles and he said that the post on the stater motor is probably broke on the inside. I thihnk that he's right...:( Oh well, get another one I guess.

Thats what I would suspect, but also do not over look the small black box near the battery. We have replaced a few of those and the sypmtom was all click no start.

cody anderson
08-03-2006, 06:52 AM
YO! I GOT IT FIXED! THANK YOU LOST CREEK CYCLES!

Dude, Kevin from LCC knew what it was in like 15 seconds of talking ot him on the phone!

I took the starter out and the plastic washer on the inside that goes over the post broke when I tightened the wire down on it.

BY THE WAY! YAMAHA DOES NOT SELL JUST A BRUSH KIT! You have to buy the whole starter. I just took a junk starter from a watercraft and took the plastic washer out of it, and ground it down to fit in the YFZ starter. Works perfect.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE THAT HELPED ME ON THIS!