View Full Version : KTM Powered Polaris Outlaw 525

Ralph
07-31-2006, 11:38 PM
Check this thing out. Got a KTM 510cc engine in the IRS chassis. This thing looks like it could do some damage at the GNCC's!!

Details Here (http://www.atvriders.com/atvnews/polarisktm2007outlaw525atvintro.html)

http://www.atvriders.com/atvnews/polaris/2007polarisoutlaw525engine180.jpg (http://www.atvriders.com/atvnews/polaris/2007polarisoutlaw525engine.jpg)

http://www.atvriders.com/atvnews/polaris/2007polarisoutlaw525side.jpg

Details Here (http://www.atvriders.com/atvnews/polarisktm2007outlaw525atvintro.html)

Toadz400
07-31-2006, 11:59 PM
Now that I looked more closely at it and it's specifications, it's awesome for what it was made for. I'm just disappointed they didn't work on something focused for MX or more recreation type riding (all around). But it's awesome that XC riders will get a very powerful, awesome riding machine. Glad they ditched that heavy Japanese engine, it did nothing but weigh the Polaris down.

Ralph
08-01-2006, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Now that I looked more closely at it and it's specifications, it's awesome for what it was made for. I'm just disappointed they didn't work on something focused for MX or more recreation type riding (all around). But it's awesome that XC riders will get a very powerful, awesome riding machine. Glad they ditched that heavy Japanese engine, it did nothing but weigh the Polaris down.

I felt almost the same way but i think it will just make things more exciting in the cross country scene. Also, imagine what happens when Someone comes up with long travel front and rear a-arms and shocks? Just something for the brain to chew on. I would love to see someone seriously trick one out.

08-01-2006, 12:48 AM
i would like to see different plastics :eek2:

Sjorge450R
08-01-2006, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by Kickstarts_Suck
i would like to see different plastics :eek2:

are you serious??? The Predator and the Outlaw (mostley the outlaw) have the best looking plastics in the atv industry. And thats a scientific fact.

cdalejef
08-01-2006, 06:16 AM
I'm just disappointed they didn't work on something focused for MX or more recreation type riding (all around). But it's awesome that XC riders will get a very powerful, awesome riding machine. Glad they ditched that heavy Japanese engine, it did nothing but weigh the Polaris down. XC is closer to recreational riding than MX is.

trx400exxracer
08-01-2006, 07:16 AM
I was really hoping for a strait axle glad i didnt waste my time on waiting for this and went with my 450r i have heard not alot of good about the irs thats just what i heard though i heard it was more trail worthy than race worthy and i was also hoping for something that mx and xc guys could enjoy i also like to do mx every now and then even though i am a xc guys:D

redlineranger
08-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
are you serious??? The Predator and the Outlaw (mostley the outlaw) have the best looking plastics in the atv industry. And thats a scientific fact.

... or you could say its your scientific opinion. me personally i think all of polaris' quads look like sh*t but thats just me.

anyways this thing will dominate the GNCC class, i bet everyone will be riding one.

Toadz400
08-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@TireBalls
XC is closer to recreational riding than MX is.

True. But how well does this handle the corners? It has a sway bar in the rear correct? I know IRS rear ends don't like to slide as well as a solid rear end does. Also some recreational riders (Like myself) like to hit up the track every once in awhile also.

trx400exxracer
08-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by redlineranger
... or you could say its your scientific opinion. me personally i think all of polaris' quads look like sh*t but thats just me.

anyways this thing will dominate the GNCC class, i bet everyone will be riding one.

i dont think everyone will be riding one i highly doubt that :huh

redlineranger
08-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer
i dont think everyone will be riding one i highly doubt that :huh

your right, let me rephrase. i think that alot of people, we'll be switching over to it. the guys on the outlaw now will be riding the new ktm/outlaw next year of course. and its starting to make a name for itself this year. so i think there will be more riders on the outlaw next year.

sorry shouldn't of put it as everybody will be riding one.

trx400exxracer
08-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by redlineranger
your right, let me rephrase. i think that alot of people, we'll be switching over to it. the guys on the outlaw now will be riding the new ktm/outlaw next year of course. and its starting to make a name for itself this year. so i think there will be more riders on the outlaw next year.

sorry shouldn't of put it as everybody will be riding one.

yeah i know you didnt mean exactly everyone but alot of the people dont like irs and the weight issue it is still a little heavy

but Polaris will have a few riders at least they will because they pay big money for their riders and in contingencies:D

bwamos
08-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Dropped the "claimed" dry weight by 44 lbs.

WOW, that other engine must be a monster! (not in a good way.. lol)

Below 400 lbs. Should be competitive, at least.

Ralph
08-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Hey jeff can you give us a detailed description on how this chassis handeled when you brought it in for 2nd overall?

trx400exxracer
08-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
Hey jeff can you give us a detailed description on how this chassis handeled when you brought it in for 2nd overall?

yeah i wanna know how the rear end is

i reckon i am gonna ride somebody's at the track he has one and i want to try it

MX MaNiAc 06
08-01-2006, 12:40 PM
I think that thing looks retarded :rolleyes:

08-01-2006, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
I think that thing looks retarded :rolleyes:

same

Prey
08-01-2006, 09:30 PM
great critisism you 2, your edjumakations are really showing and the future looks bright for the both of you :rolleyes:

on another note, one the the members of this site went to a show and took close ups of the shocks that are apparently RideFX, does anyone have any info on if those are in fact the shocks that will come on it and 2 if they are the posistion sensative shocks?

450robot
08-01-2006, 09:33 PM
yah, i noticed the shocks looked different too, i see they also have zpl springs

Hondadudeehhhh
08-01-2006, 09:55 PM
i think its awesome. but wouldnt a 4 speed tranny be a little better for the woods? Either way, i wouldnt mind riding one. Im still a little on the fence on the IRS but i have yet to ride the outlaw 500. It looks like polaris is headed in the right direction.

Ralph
08-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Prey
great critisism you 2, your edjumakations are really showing and the future looks bright for the both of you :rolleyes:

on another note, one the the members of this site went to a show and took close ups of the shocks that are apparently RideFX, does anyone have any info on if those are in fact the shocks that will come on it and 2 if they are the posistion sensative shocks?

Honestly, you guys couldnt come up with anything better than it looks retarded?

xtremefullbore
08-01-2006, 10:33 PM
I just plane out dont like polaris, It doesent look bad, I never have liked the polaris looks, they look like a dune buggy body but just small like a quad :confused: ... but it will be fast but it still wont be a chosen gncc bike, yamaha, honda, suzuki will always be the kings of gncc....

Prey
08-02-2006, 07:32 AM
i gotta disagree with ya a little xtreme.

Just in the last year there has been a noticable differene in the # of polaris sport bikes at the GNCC.

and i agree we are all entitled to our opinions, ^^^ that was part of mine here is the other

I think this outlaw 525 is going to go down as one of the most significant machines ever produced...... why

4 reasons

1. 1st IRS Production sport quad (of which i am a big fan of after racing it)
2. 1st production quad to ever receive a hydraulic clutch (that is over $200 after market right there.
3. and the biggy, it finally marks the long awaited, much wanted KTM introduction into the atv industry

not only do you get RideFX, the KTM motor, hydraulic clutch, dual piston calipers, an upgraded BSR to FCR carb, and a shaved 45lbs, but its the same price as an LTR450 and only $400 more than the outlaw 500.

and in all honestly (and i know people will disagree), polaris has been working much harder to change the face of xc racing than any other MFG.

They were the 1st to put name brand shocks on their bike, a name brand axle, name brand tires and rims, they were the 1st and only at this point to offer a scalable bike meaning for a little extra$ you can get upgraded versions of the predator with nerfs, bumper grab bar, white bros pipe, skids etc., they were the 1st to have a nascar signature series (which has been copied by zuki), they were the 1st to recognize the cc limit for GNC and GNCC differ and offer up a cc range in line with GNCC limits, 1st for sport IRS, they are bringing KTM into the ATV market.

you can argue a lot of things, and no one has to like polaris, but no one can factually agrue that any of the other ATV MFG's are working near as hard to change the face of XC racing as polaris.

Sjorge450R
08-02-2006, 07:39 AM
^^^^^^

very nice. and very good info.:muscle:

xtremefullbore
08-02-2006, 08:13 AM
if you guys think this polaris outlaw will out sell 450r's, yfz's, and suzuki your crazy.... polaris will always be polaris, and theres alot of people who will never buy a polaris just because its a polaris...

bradley300
08-02-2006, 08:14 AM
True. But how well does this handle the corners? It has a sway bar in the rear correct? I know IRS rear ends don't like to slide as well as a solid rear end does. Also some recreational riders (Like myself) like to hit up the track every once in awhile also.

must work fairly well, i dont think jeff had ridden a quad in at least 6 months, hopped on the outlaw after only a a small amount of susension tuning the nght before and nearly overalled

Prey
08-02-2006, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by xtremefullbore
if you guys think this polaris outlaw will out sell 450r's, yfz's, and suzuki your crazy.... polaris will always be polaris, and theres alot of people who will never buy a polaris just because its a polaris...

no one said they are going to out sell all 450s combined, but i would be willing to wager that outlaw sales are not to far from any individual 450 nor predator sales. and with KTM, kawasaki and can-am all coming into the market that will split up sales, you will surely see polaris outselling some of them

i would also be willing to wage that this new outlaw 525 will have issues with demand exceeding supply

Brad77
08-02-2006, 08:38 AM
I like what they are doing. I have never really been a big Polaris fan, but I like the way they think. One of the main reasons I never cared much for the Polaris was because of the weight. Although it looks like they are taking care of that.

And me being a KTM hybrid quad owner, I think it is great to see a ktm powerplant in a factory quad.

Hopefully, I can find someone who will let me ride one.

Prey
08-02-2006, 09:18 AM
i mis-spoke, RydeFX are being used on the newer DS's as well

Toadz400
08-02-2006, 10:58 AM
It seems everyone forgot about Cannondale. They were the first to offer hyrdaulic clutch, name brand shocks, tires, wheels, etc. They also were the first to have different versions for wherever you rode, what you wanted on it (better suspension, tires, wheels, nerfs, bars, etc.). This KTM/Polaris isn't as revolutionary as you think it is.

Prey
08-02-2006, 11:32 AM
yep, forgot about cannondale

BlasterEaten250
08-02-2006, 01:11 PM
I think that would be a fun quad to ride. It wouldn't beat you up like a strait axle quad would. I rode my uncles polaris sportsman one time and it felt like I was riding on a pillow. This quad would definatly be at one of the upper spots on my "I want this 4 wheeler list":p

This quad seems like it would be great for gncc, I wonder if polaris will come out with a ktm mx quad with a smaller and lighter frame. I also think it would be cool for them to do somthing with the ktm 200 engine.

yfz666
08-02-2006, 05:38 PM
i have rode an outlaw and i thought they rode awsome. and i ride a 06 yfz so the outlaw felt like it just needed a little more power. and now with ktm we have it. i think it would be crap on a track but very good duner or woods machine as polaris i dont think had mx on there mind when they built this. im sure thats why they will have a 450 predator for those guys. polaris has came a long way and them willing to try new things might turn out to be a good thing. people thoght 4 wheelers were stupid when first coming out, now look. you will look back one day when your riding your irs qaud and say what was i thinking.

Byte
08-02-2006, 05:45 PM
It seems everyone forgot about Cannondale. They were the first to offer hyrdaulic clutch, name brand shocks, tires, wheels, etc. They also were the first to have different versions for wherever you rode, what you wanted on it (better suspension, tires, wheels, nerfs, bars, etc.). This KTM/Polaris isn't as revolutionary as you think it is.

At 9 to 11 grand! But your point is made...

Byte
08-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by xtremefullbore

This is the crap that kills me. People hate things just to hate. Polaris are solid! Even the fuji engine is bullet proof.

Lets not forget they did the first 500cc sport bike (with the exception of the Quadzilla 2 stroke)! O ya, thats easy to forget...

Heybo
08-02-2006, 05:50 PM

2. 1st production quad to ever receive a hydraulic clutch (that is over $200 after market right there.

They were the 1st to put name brand shocks on their bike, a name brand axle, name brand tires and rims, they were the 1st and only at this point to offer a scalable bike meaning for a little extra$ you can get upgraded versions of the predator with nerfs, bumper grab bar, white bros pipe, skids etc., they were the 1st to have a nascar signature series (which has been copied by zuki), they were the 1st to recognize the cc limit for GNC and GNCC differ and offer up a cc range in line with GNCC limits, 1st for sport IRS, they are bringing KTM into the ATV market.

Actually.... Cannondale was the first production quad with a hydraulic clutch. And.... the also came stock with Ohlins shocks, a FMF made exhaust, and ITP wheels and tires.

Toadz400
08-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Byte
At 9 to 11 grand! But your point is made...

What do you think sport quads will be costing when they make it to Cannondale's level? I bet they will be 8-10k. Cannondale also had EFI and aluminum frame on top of all the other extras. Their stock exhaust was even a lot better than the stock exhausts on 450's nowadays. If a company comes out with a sport quad that is on the same level as Cannondale (which will probably be a long time) it will be around the same price.

And Heybo, you must've skipped my post:D .

Ralph
08-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Take the Cannondale Discussion somewhere else.

Toadz400
08-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Take the Cannondale Discussion somewhere else.

Why? Our discussion about Cannondales deals with the new Polaris Outlaw, if you would've read the posts in your own thread you would've realized that. It's not like we're hijacking the thread and talking ONLY about Cannondales. It's in relation to the KTM Outlaw.

yamablaster24
08-02-2006, 09:01 PM
i would like to see some long travel a-arms on there with some motowoz or king shocks, and a hardcore sway bar

MX MaNiAc 06
08-02-2006, 09:09 PM

Just cuz i dont like the quad means im gonna live in a cardboard box the rest of my life? :rolleyes:

Shouldnt IRS be on big utility quads? I dont see why ud need it in cross country. U still have to corner a lot n that things not gonna slide worth chit.

JKWGA400EX
08-02-2006, 09:13 PM
no offense to anybody,BUT that has got to be the MOST ugliest sport quad i have ever seen.even though the motor mey be good,i still think it looks BUTT ugly.

personal opinion

jared

08-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by JKWGA400EX
no offense to anybody,BUT that has got to be the MOST ugliest sport quad i have ever seen.even though the motor mey be good,i still think it looks BUTT ugly.

personal opinion

jared :macho

Ralph
08-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Why? Our discussion about Cannondales deals with the new Polaris Outlaw, if you would've read the posts in your own thread you would've realized that. It's not like we're hijacking the thread and talking ONLY about Cannondales. It's in relation to the KTM Outlaw.

I read every single post in this thread. The Cannondale thing has been beaten to death. Also, Comparing this quad to the c-dales is irrelevant and personaly ive read enough arguing about the cdales. I think they are great quads too but i wouldnt compare them to this bike.

Toadz400
08-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
Just cuz i dont like the quad means im gonna live in a cardboard box the rest of my life? :rolleyes:

Shouldnt IRS be on big utility quads? I dont see why ud need it in cross country. U still have to corner a lot n that things not gonna slide worth chit.

Guessing by your maturity, you're no older than 15 or 16. Right? I think that guess might even be off by a year or two.

You don't have to call everything YOU don't like "retarded". Ever thought about if some people don't like you, are you automatically a "retard"? Come on guys, be mature, you don't have to act your age you know?

And for the IRS, it's awesome that they are finally getting it put on sport quads. You know how much better a quad handles through rough sections (XC is all about endurance and rough sections). Have you ever ridden a utility and noticed that it's like riding a cushion compared to a sport quad? I say it's about time one of the sport quads got IRS, in a few years they'll have it perfected and XC racers will be nothing but happy.

And Ralph - I don't think I've ever seen you in this much of a bad mood before. I think you're taking this way too far, someone was claiming that Polaris was the first for all this stuff, so I corrected them with the fact that Cannondale was the first to do all this. That's all the further it went, no one was arguing or saying how great Cannondale is. Oh, sorry, we also put in the factor of cost with all the aftermarket things. I think you need to take a chill pill about it, no on is hijacking your Outlaw thread. We're still discussing it, don't worry.

Ralph
08-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Guessing by your maturity, you're no older than 15 or 16. Right? I think that guess might even be off by a year or two.

You don't have to call everything YOU don't like "retarded". Ever thought about if some people like you, are you automatically a "retard"? Come on guys, be mature, you don't have to act your age you know?

And for the IRS, it's awesome that they are finally getting it put on sport quads. You know how much better a quad handles through rough sections (XC is all about endurance and rough sections). Have you ever ridden a utility and noticed that it's like riding a cushion compared to a sport quad? I say it's about time one of the sport quads got IRS, in a few years they'll have it perfected and XC racers will be nothing but happy.

Exactly, alot of what cross country is about is endurance. You are racing for 2 hours straight. If the irs takes the rough stuff better it will enable the rider to ride harder longer.

Also, ive personaly never ridden this particular chassy but i dont see why it would'nt "Slide" as you mention. When the tires are spinning anything will slide out.

Toadz400
08-02-2006, 11:28 PM
Exactly, alot of what cross country is about is endurance. You are racing for 2 hours straight. If the irs takes the rough stuff better it will enable the rider to ride harder longer.

Also, ive personaly never ridden this particular chassy but i dont see why it would'nt "Slide" as you mention. When the tires are spinning anything will slide out.

Well a common problem with utilities with trying to take corners too quickly is the rear end wants to almost "dive" into the ground because of the IRS. I believe the sway bar is supposed to fix this, but I've heard of it still being a slight problem on the Outlaw - not exactly sure on this, does it have the sway bar on the rear?

Oh and Ralph, I'm not trying to be an a** to you, I was just kinda surprised at how you got almost defensive about us discussing the Cannondale in relation to the KTM Outlaw. No offense meant by it.

Ralph
08-02-2006, 11:49 PM
Well a common problem with utilities with trying to take corners too quickly is the rear end wants to almost "dive" into the ground because of the IRS. I believe the sway bar is supposed to fix this, but I've heard of it still being a slight problem on the Outlaw - not exactly sure on this, does it have the sway bar on the rear?

Oh and Ralph, I'm not trying to be an a** to you, I was just kinda surprised at how you got almost defensive about us discussing the Cannondale in relation to the KTM Outlaw. No offense meant by it.

None taken

sportraxkid
08-03-2006, 12:25 AM
I was just looking at the specs and seen 11 inches of ground clearence :eek2:. That would be an awesome bike for trail riding.!

Prey
08-03-2006, 11:28 AM

i was going to leave this alone, but being you want to throw around the word wrong in another post, you are wrong.

i will take the hit on hydrualic clutch,

polaris was using Fox in the mid and late 90s along with carlisle tires, remind me what year cannondale released their 1st quad

sure c-dale offered differnt models/version aimed at different users. this is not the same as a scalable model, you could build the c-dales from the fatory? and you better do a little more research into polaris before you start claiming c-dale was the 1st to offer differnt versions of their quads

yes, polaris is a lot more revolutionary than you think

i am not even going to get into how Polaris was the 1st successful company to do all of the afore mentioned, and how badly c-dale failed.

your problem is you assumed i was talking specifically to the outlaw or predator when i was talking about polaris as a whole

they were also the 1st for the mcphereson strut (that i know of) 1st diesel powered quad, 1st automatic sport atv, (copied by kawasaki and can-am), 1st automatic transmition, efi, irs, quartz halogen lights, all wheel disk brakes (copied by everone)

and the list goes on

so please define to me with facts, how they are "not as revolutionary as i think"

MX MaNiAc 06
08-03-2006, 11:36 AM

You don't have to call everything YOU don't like "retarded". Ever thought about if some people don't like you, are you automatically a "retard"? Come on guys, be mature, you don't have to act your age you know?

And Ralph - I don't think I've ever seen you in this much of a bad mood before. I think you're taking this way too far, someone was claiming that Polaris was the first for all this stuff, so I corrected them with the fact that Cannondale was the first to do all this. That's all the further it went, no one was arguing or saying how great Cannondale is. Oh, sorry, we also put in the factor of cost with all the aftermarket things. I think you need to take a chill pill about it, no on is hijacking your Outlaw thread. We're still discussing it, don't worry.

Sorry, its ugly n useless to me. I dont ride cross country so i dont know much about it.

bwamos
08-03-2006, 12:48 PM
all wheel disk brakes (copied by everone)

Not to fuel the fire too much.. but I know Honda had all wheel disk brakes on their ATV's in the early 80's. Polaris didn't make an ATV until 1985, correct?

Prey
08-03-2006, 12:58 PM
nope polaris was the 1st to offer all wheel disks brakes in 1985

scottwvu
08-03-2006, 02:03 PM
The website says "Top accelerating quad ever".

Toadz400
08-03-2006, 02:13 PM
This is a PM i reveived from this KID!!

you wreak of retard :rolleyes:

do not be upset with me because you cannot compile a usefull, coherent post you 1/2tard

i literally love you e-tough guys, all talk here and shut your mouth in person :rolleyes:

Dude, don't post up PM's that you get that are just going to turn this thread into a flame fest. I'd appreciate if you delete your post before a moderator closes down this thread.

And as for Polaris being the innovator, I was referring to the sport quad world. Cannondale was the first and the best in that category, I don't care about utilities - it's not what we're discussing.

Prey
08-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Dude, don't post up PM's that you get that are just going to turn this thread into a flame fest. I'd appreciate if you delete your post before a moderator closes down this thread.

And as for Polaris being the innovator, I was referring to the sport quad world. Cannondale was the first and the best in that category, I don't care about utilities - it's not what we're discussing.

Guy, is this the best retort you got, you should have never offered your limited knowledge on the subject, i think you need to go back re-read my post to see what the point was,

c-dale was a complete and total failure no matter what you think, and if you dont want to take my word for it, go read their bottom line for the 3 years in business

as far as the pm, if the mods wish to delete it, that is fine with me, i dont personally give a damm about what you would appreciate

trx400exxracer
08-03-2006, 02:27 PM
well your age and lack of knowledge would be why you make such useless posts.........

he is open to his own opinions stop trying to point out stuff to people who have it their not listening

i mean if he thinks it is ugly he can think that and you cant change that so just leave it alone and let him and everyone else have your opinion

Ralph
08-03-2006, 02:28 PM
This thread will be closed if the bickering does not stop. You guys should argue with informative posts. If you cant be mature about it then you are openly showing the moderators and the other members your inability to be a positive contribution to this site.

You dont want everyone thinking you are an idiot, do you?

Prey
08-03-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer
he is open to his own opinions stop trying to point out stuff to people who have it their not listening

i mean if he thinks it is ugly he can think that and you cant change that so just leave it alone and let him and everyone else have your opinion

i never said he was not entitled to an opinion, what i was trying to point out was it was not contructive, it is retarded or ugly does nothing for no one.

"i dont like the shape of the front fenders, and they could do XXXXXX to fix it, i dont like the way the tank is shrouded and this is the way i think they should fix it" is good information and constructive

what i dont like is people posting without reason

trx400exxracer
08-03-2006, 02:45 PM
i never said he was not entitled to an opinion, what i was trying to point out was it was not contructive, it is retarded or ugly does nothing for no one.

"i dont like the shape of the front fenders, and they could do XXXXXX to fix it, i dont like the way the tank is shrouded and this is the way i think they should fix it" is good information and constructive

what i dont like is people posting without reason

well just let him go ahead and say that and make him look dumb or something just dont say anything back it will make you look smarter JMO

cdalejef
08-03-2006, 03:01 PM
nope polaris was the 1st to offer all wheel disks brakes in 1985

This is a pretty funny thread. This post is not correct, some 3 wheelers had disc brakes in the early 80's. Also Suzuki had disc brakes on both their Quadsport and Quadracers in 85.

Prey
08-03-2006, 03:10 PM
This is a pretty funny thread. This post is not correct, some 3 wheelers had disc brakes in the early 80's. Also Suzuki had disc brakes on both their Quadsport and Quadracers in 85.

Jeff, my post is correct, the original post said ATV + all wheel disks .... vice ATC or ATV with front/rear disk (which i dont think there was ever an ATC with a disk at each wheel).

all wheel means a disk at each wheel and polaris was the 1st

cdalejef
08-03-2006, 03:18 PM
The 1985 Polaris had a solid rear axle with one rear disc brake just like the Suzuki's.

http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/pppics/sCyclone003xcyclone3.jpg

Prey
08-03-2006, 03:23 PM
http://pi54.com/ATV/PDFs/FirstPolarisInnovation.pdf

cdalejef
08-03-2006, 03:42 PM
That means that since the rear is a solid axle, 1 calliper is all it takes to brake both rear wheels. Hince the title "all wheel disc brakes"

Prey
08-03-2006, 05:01 PM
well Jeff, i would kinda agree with you, but i know that 83 (may have been earlier, i just never owned a 81 or 82) and up 250Rs had disk fronts and rear,

so the claim as a first on that sheet can only mean 1 thing IMO, or it could be false advertising, but i have noticed a write up on another forum that claimed 4 wheel disk brakes as well. i could be wrong.

according to that sheet though, polaris was also the 1st with EBS, AWD, LT suspension and a rear locking differential

Pappy
08-03-2006, 05:11 PM
LOL...I really dont care who came out first with what, they arent being raced or bought these days by the masses:eek2:

The IRS to me felt pretty good in the woods. I know my back did not seem to hurt as bad, but it would deffinatley take some getting used to. I kept preparing for a hit that never came.

I am pretty sure the new Polaris would have that same feel.

Cant wait to get some time riding this model!

Ralph
08-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
LOL...I really dont care who came out first with what

Honestly, The fact that one company or another has bragging rights on developing something doesnt change the performance of this ATV.

08-03-2006, 05:59 PM
well since the outlaw is the only SPORT atv with irs that means its the only SPORT atv that doesnt have a solid axle which allows it to have a true 4 - wheel disk break.

MX MaNiAc 06
08-03-2006, 06:08 PM
This is a PM i reveived from this KID!!

you wreak of retard :rolleyes:

do not be upset with me because you cannot compile a usefull, coherent post you 1/2tard

i literally love you e-tough guys, all talk here and shut your mouth in person :rolleyes:

Im not even gonna argue with u. Ur flat out ignorant. I tried to keep it out of this thread by sending u a PM.

cdalejef
08-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
LOL...I really dont care who came out first with what, they arent being raced or bought these days by the masses:eek2:

The IRS to me felt pretty good in the woods. I know my back did not seem to hurt as bad, but it would deffinatley take some getting used to. I kept preparing for a hit that never came.

I am pretty sure the new Polaris would have that same feel.

Cant wait to get some time riding this model! Just wait till you read my race review of the Outlaw!!! :D

Ralph
08-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Just wait till you read my race review of the Outlaw!!! :D

i cant:)

Toadz400
08-21-2006, 06:30 PM
Just wait till you read my race review of the Outlaw!!! :D

So, when are we going to see the review?:D

angry450r
08-22-2006, 06:41 AM
I guess itll handle good and be fast but Id rather have my 450r it looks fast sitting just sitting in the garage that ktm outlaw thing looks like it used to eat paint chips as a kid REATRDLEY UGLY!! and its a ktm motor in a polaris have fun getting to know the service department guys very well. just my .02

Toadz400
08-22-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by angry450r
I guess itll handle good and be fast but Id rather have my 450r it looks fast sitting just sitting in the garage that ktm outlaw thing looks like it used to eat paint chips as a kid REATRDLEY UGLY!! and its a ktm motor in a polaris have fun getting to know the service department guys very well. just my .02

Well, if you prefer to have something that looks good instead of something that handles well and is very fast so be it. I'll take the Outlaw and have fun passing you on the trail while you're stuck on those ruts;) . I could really care less what a quad looks like just as long as it performs well. Take a look at the Cannondale/ATK, I still think it's quite possibly one of the ugliest quads made but I would still love to own one.

08-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Whoever designed those plastics needs to be fired.

angry450r
08-23-2006, 09:05 AM
ya my 450r handles great in the woods thank you very much! I wouldnt worry about getting out of a rut in the woods cause as soon as you back your ugly new ride off the trailer you'll be pushing it back on to find out why it wont start THIS time. ktm sucks and I know plenty of guys with polaris "bugs" I like reliability most of all which I have! and thats not just my .02 ITS A FACT!

Toadz400
08-23-2006, 11:11 AM
ya my 450r handles great in the woods thank you very much! I wouldnt worry about getting out of a rut in the woods cause as soon as you back your ugly new ride off the trailer you'll be pushing it back on to find out why it wont start THIS time. ktm sucks and I know plenty of guys with polaris "bugs" I like reliability most of all which I have! and thats not just my .02 ITS A FACT!

KTM Sucks? Polaris having reliability problems? I've probably seen more problems with a Honda 450R than any new Polaris. They've really come around in the industry with improving their products, far more than Honda I believe. Now they are starting to push the envelope in the sport ATV department also which makes it even better. I would love to get this KTM Outlaw and go riding with you.

cdalejef
08-23-2006, 11:26 AM

:rolleyes:

Prey
08-23-2006, 12:03 PM

hopefully you can see things from my eyes with this and why i put so little concern into what people have to say about polaris reliability

since july 2005, my list of replacement parts

1 frame, 1 radiator, 1 coil, 2 pistons, 1 head (including valves, springs and all, the head and everything in it was ruined) and 1 cylinder (the new piston, head and jug i eagerly await the bill on :rolleyes: ) and 5 tows of shame on my 2004 450R

my frame is bent and i cannot keep a tie rod or tie rod end on my 2006 450ER (along with a neat little trick honda pulled in tripling the cost of the frame from 05 to 06 :grr: )

my 2004 predator, 1 bent steering stem (in an accident that also broke 3 of my ribs), not only is it my back up race bike for both MX and XC, it has more race hours on it than either of my 450s total hours (not including all the recreational hours i have put on the pred)

I had a 2003 pred that had 0 problems until the day it was stolen

Ralph
08-23-2006, 12:11 PM

could you cite your sources please?

AJ's Blaster
08-23-2006, 05:29 PM
did anyone stop to think of this for a second, KTM is a very accomplished bike factory so why would they agree to be partners with polaris if they are so lame, and jepordize the company. And why would they let polaris put there engine into the outlaw if they saw no potential. I am sorry but I never heard of KTM trying to partner with any other company let alone use there machines frames.

450robot
08-23-2006, 06:29 PM
ima kick the *** of the person who said ktm motors were slow and unreliable

im not sure if the 525 in the outlaw is the same as our 525xc bike, but ours just flat out hauls. i never even throw a leg over it cause it scares the hell out of me, and as far as problems, not one issues after 10 hour of pure beating, the valves arent even out of spec yet.

protraxrptr17
08-23-2006, 07:34 PM
KTM's last much longer than anything Japanese. When I was building my hybrid, I talked to lots of guys with engines and complete bikes for sale. I always asked, "How many hours on the top end?". A few of them said that they had torn them down and inspected them and put them back together. No rings or anything. The others said they had never been apart. Keep in mind, alot of these engines were 2002 models. I was skeptical, so I called a very well known KTM mechanic and asked what was up with that. He told me to forget everything I knew about motorcycle and atv engines. He said that he had never replaced a piston in a KTM RFS (Racing Four Stroke) due to wear. He said he has replaced some from dropped valves or adding a big bore kit. Valves need replacing from time to time and you have to replace the cam bearings periodically, but that is all. They don't even sound like a Jap engine. Not that there's anything wrong with Jap engines, but contrary to popular belief, Honda is not #1 in reliability. As far as power goes, I challenge ANY MX quad to pull a holeshot against a 525SX quad of reasonable weight. This Polaris conglomeration may be too heavy to really hold it's own.

MentalState
08-23-2006, 09:16 PM
You guys are basing you comments on a bike you never even rode..I own and outlaw and you would be hard pressed to get me on anything else..And I have rode them all hondas yamaha's Kawi's small big and utes...Granted its not the fastest but I can ride it faster in the woods than I have on any other bike..Yeah it takes a little getting used to but she will slide in and out of any corner I toss at it..I can lug it around in second gear all day through the woods...almost comming to a stop..Yeah it has some quirks but all quads do...But for the money this is the best out of the box woods racer you can get...Believe that!

Now that KTM is putting a big motor and lighter to boot..This quad is going to be hard to catch...

Just my 2 cents

Dont knock it till ya try it...And I am not a big POPO fan..I have green in my vains..

IRS all the way for the woods racers...

ridfastorbelast
08-23-2006, 10:19 PM
my friend has the 2006 one.. i liked it pretty much...... it a good wuad to jump... get lots of air with it.. and suspension absorb it pretty well.

lots of people didnt want it cuz they thought they sucked because the cuz me tipsy and stuff bud damn it a good trail quad i love it.. so does my friends

it goes pretty fast to can smoke a 450r on top end

but i dont knwo if they will big a big dif this year... the ktm motor is good for a dirt bike.. i dont know if it will do go on a quad that weight about 400pounds

Ps: he getting the 2 white brother pipe soon;)

ridfastorbelast
08-23-2006, 10:21 PM
but why did polaris had to put another brand of motor in there... cuz polaris isnt good enought lmao?

450robot
08-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by ridfastorbelast
but why did polaris had to put another brand of motor in there... cuz polaris isnt good enought lmao?

wrong, the polaris motor was very formitable in all aspects

and btw, the 500cc motor in the previous predators and outlaws were made by Fuji, not polaris

Ralph
08-24-2006, 01:18 AM
Its Austrian Engineering. Think of it like like Mercedes/BMW/Porshe vs. Honda and Toyota in the car world:blah:

i know mercedes is german but its close enough for me :macho. The KTM headquaters are actualy very close to where my grandma lives in germany.

firefighterjosh
08-24-2006, 01:42 AM
A guy on another thread said one of his buddies has already rode the new KTM/polaris. he said it is very fast. Prabably the quickest thing around

Now we will just see if there is truth in that.

ridfastorbelast
08-24-2006, 09:56 PM
i dont even think there in shop yet....:S:S:S

troutman561
08-24-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by protraxrptr17
KTM's last much longer than anything Japanese. When I was building my hybrid, I talked to lots of guys with engines and complete bikes for sale. I always asked, "How many hours on the top end?". A few of them said that they had torn them down and inspected them and put them back together. No rings or anything. The others said they had never been apart. Keep in mind, alot of these engines were 2002 models. I was skeptical, so I called a very well known KTM mechanic and asked what was up with that. He told me to forget everything I knew about motorcycle and atv engines. He said that he had never replaced a piston in a KTM RFS (Racing Four Stroke) due to wear. He said he has replaced some from dropped valves or adding a big bore kit. Valves need replacing from time to time and you have to replace the cam bearings periodically, but that is all. They don't even sound like a Jap engine. Not that there's anything wrong with Jap engines, but contrary to popular belief, Honda is not #1 in reliability. As far as power goes, I challenge ANY MX quad to pull a holeshot against a 525SX quad of reasonable weight. This Polaris conglomeration may be too heavy to really hold it's own.

Why did you put the KTM in a raptor frame?? is the engine that mch more powerful than the 660 was?

Toadz400
08-25-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by ridfastorbelast
i dont even think there in shop yet....:S:S:S

He works for Polaris;) .

troutman561 - I've seen the Raptor with the KTM engine in it and the owner claimed the KTM engine cut down on weight and the center of gravity. I guess the biggest reason why the Raptor is top-heavy/tippy is because of how the engine is placed. Putting the KTM in it was probably more powerful (dirtbike engines are always way more powerful than ATV engines, even when the ATV engine is bigger in CC's) and it cut down on how top heavy it was.

protraxrptr17
08-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by troutman561
Why did you put the KTM in a raptor frame?? is the engine that mch more powerful than the 660 was?

The 660 was too heavy and revved too slow for motocross. The 525 will blow the 660 away. Doesn't stand a chance in any kind of race. The 660 with all it's wiring, carbs, and useless junk weighed about 150lbs. The 525SX with carb and CDI weighs about 70lbs. My entire bike weighs 365lbs full of fuel.