PDA

View Full Version : Oil Buildup on my 300ex

shftmx300ex
07-31-2006, 10:33 PM
i noticed that on my 300ex when i ride for a long time oil seems to be leaking out of either the crankcase or the head, i cant tell. but it seems like it gets worse everytime i ride. idk what it is, can anyone help me out. ill try to get pics of it next time it happens.

firefighterjosh
07-31-2006, 10:41 PM
Sounds like a blown head gasket. I would replace it.

shftmx300ex
07-31-2006, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Sounds like a blown head gasket. I would replace it.
really? damn that sucks...

firefighterjosh
07-31-2006, 11:05 PM
Make sure your head bolts are tight. Maybe one of them is loose and when it gets hot the metal expands and causes a leak. Just a thought.

Sjorge450R
08-01-2006, 05:37 AM
i acually have the same problem. My motor is out of the frame right now and I am going to be checking the head bolts once it gets back into the frame. I just did I rebuild this past winter so everything needs to be checked.

shftmx300ex
08-01-2006, 09:36 PM
any body else have an idea what it is? i checked the head bolts and they are tight, so it may be a blown head gasket i dont know, but it still runs great so it may not be.

brapbrap13
08-01-2006, 10:18 PM
mmmmm, i guess we will find out when we put the 330 kit on if anything was damaged:D

blasteracer24
08-01-2006, 10:25 PM
if th eoil is starting form the top of the motor and going down then its the head gasket. chekc your head bolts and make sure they are tight. if that doesnt work try a new head gasket.

shftmx300ex
08-01-2006, 10:34 PM
yeah i did check the bolts, they werent THAT tight but they werent loose, i did tighten them, well find out tomarrow when i go riding if that helped

firefighterjosh
08-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by shftmx300ex
yeah i did check the bolts, they werent THAT tight but they werent loose, i did tighten them, well find out tomarrow when i go riding if that helped

Let us know what happends

Sjorge450R
08-02-2006, 05:22 AM

are you using a torque wrench???

bwamos
08-02-2006, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by blasteracer24
if th eoil is starting form the top of the motor and going down then its the head gasket. chekc your head bolts and make sure they are tight. if that doesnt work try a new head gasket.

Or missed a spot on the outside of the oil returns when applying the liquid gasket at the head cover. ;)

Also (I know for sure on the stator side at least) if a sidecase had been taken off and the paper gasket was reused you'll get tiny streams of oil spraying out on the downstroke of the piston (when the crankcase pressure is positive).

bwamos
08-02-2006, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
are you using a torque wrench???

He's probably thinking of the head cover bolts.. not the large Head bolts.

Sjorge450R
08-02-2006, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by bwamos

yeah but he should still be using a torque wrench.

bwamos
08-02-2006, 07:09 AM
Doesn't hurt too.. but iv found that using a torque wrench to 7 ft-lbs on those wimpy bolts will often twist the head cover bolts.

Honda makes great quads.. but damn their bolts suck.. lol. (good thing is it's damn near impossible to strip out the hole, because the bolt twists/snaps long before that point.. lol.

I hand tighten them because you can tell when using a standard ratchet when you're reaching that point where the twisting moment is going to excede the ability of the bolt to spring back.

Of course I've tried to use the torque wrench to 7 ft-lbs on several occasions, so I know the feel of what pressure is needed.

On the head cover you'll be just fine with 5 - 7 ft lbs (except for the smallest one up front.. it's only like 3-4 ft-lbs or something like that. (I'd have to look in the manual actually I think that one is inch-lbs). The most important part is tightening them down in increments in a cross pattern as to not warp the mating surface.

Now the Actual head bolts are a completely different story. A torque wrench is not an option on those.. ;) Metal gasket + higher torque rating.

shftmx300ex
08-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by bwamos

no i wansnt thinkin of the head cover bolts, i did tighten the large ones, no i didnt use a torue wrench

Sjorge450R
08-02-2006, 02:44 PM
no i wansnt thinkin of the head cover bolts, i did tighten the large ones, no i didnt use a torue wrench

well the large ones should be tighten to spec. Definetly get a torque wrench and do those ones.

shftmx300ex
08-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
well the large ones should be tighten to spec. Definetly get a torque wrench and do those ones.
i have a toruque wrench, what are the specs?

bwamos
08-03-2006, 07:23 AM
17 ft-lbs on the Head bolts.