PDA

View Full Version : caseing a jump?

Ricky g
08-22-2002, 04:52 PM
OK I'm new to mx, I hear this term allot, what does it mean exactly.

Ricky g

Juggalo
08-22-2002, 05:02 PM
its when you come up short on a double and you land on the corner with the bottom of the bike

Sparks425Ex
08-22-2002, 05:14 PM
You got it Juggalo.

Ricky g
08-22-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
its when you come up short on a double and you land on the corner with the bottom of the bike

ummm doesn't sound like a good thing,looks like allot of things can go wrong on jumping doubles. I gotta get used to putting the quad in the air, I guess practice will make perfect, I just don't wanna crash and burn trying to learn.

Ricky g

MxDale71
08-22-2002, 06:20 PM
Hehe... I'm sure all of us here have done that plenty of times.

FullBore52
08-22-2002, 06:25 PM
Casing can also be referring to landing square on the wrong side of the jump...without even making it to the edge...which I've done before!:eek:

Rip_Tear
08-22-2002, 06:34 PM
You know what I worry about most when jumping? Smashing my teeth in, I just feel it every time I launch anything into the air!

Nausty
08-22-2002, 07:28 PM
what always scares me is when I come up a little short on a table top because I have a habit of crashing at the very end when it starts to drop off although i'm like the only quad who even lands at the end of it in my class other than a red 250r. I tend to pull a beerock on em' or like my last practice I was doing a balancing act on the bars until I hit a hail bair.

SGA
08-22-2002, 07:52 PM
I always thought of casing a jump as when the engine/frame smacks the ground hard, because of 1) you land on the top of the next jump, 2) the suspension bottoms out. Anyway, its no fun. It feels like your ankles are gonna break!

Pappy
08-22-2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Screamin 'Shee
Casing can also be referring to landing square on the wrong side of the jump...without even making it to the edge...which I've done before!:eek:

hehe.....spained neck...broken wrist....and a cracked vertebrea

found out the meaning of "overshoot it dont case it" the hard way:mad:

Ricky g
08-22-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
what always scares me is when I come up a little short on a table top because I have a habit of crashing at the very end when it starts to drop off although i'm like the only quad who even lands at the end of it in my class other than a red 250r. I tend to pull a beerock on em' or like my last practice I was doing a balancing act on the bars until I hit a hail bair.

Table tops, ummmm, so does anyone actually clear these, I land on the top about 2-3' from the end and ride em' down, that's gotta be on helava jump to clear the whole table top, I could just see my back tires catching the top of the table and getting flipped off and crashing badly.

Ricky g

Pappy
08-22-2002, 08:58 PM
keep your weight towards the rear of the quad and head for the downside. ive seen more people hurt on a table from NOT hitting the down ramp. they land 3 ft from the end and lose it .

MxDale71
08-22-2002, 10:21 PM
The biggest mistake I see is when people are going to come up short and they pull up the front end real high even though their front tires will make it over. If you know you're going to come up short, but your front wheels will make it over, try to keep your front end as low as possible without them hitting the face of the landing. If your front end is way up and your back tires clip the landing, it will SLAM the front end down and could throw you over. If your front tires have no chance in H3ll of makin it over, than try to get your back tires to hit first.

08-23-2002, 12:31 AM
I really hate it when your bumper or rear grab bar lands first...ouch.....

250rmike
08-23-2002, 08:18 AM
the only thing im afraid of is casing real hard and screwing up my back. i hate back injuries(kenny knows what im talking about)

Str8Wicked
08-23-2002, 08:55 AM
OK now that you guys are scaring the shyt outta me I think I'll get drunk before trying any of this... lol.... One thing I love about sand... It doesn't hurt as much when you eat it.... lol

FullBore52
08-23-2002, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by 250rmike
the only thing im afraid of is casing real hard and screwing up my back. i hate back injuries(kenny knows what im talking about)

Rico definitely knows too

08-23-2002, 12:51 PM
Pain Sucks!!!!!!

400exBro
08-23-2002, 08:47 PM
if i now i am going to case a double i always lay on the gas to about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle( some times a panic rev) to make sure i do make it past the edge of the jump, instead of stalling it.. some times it does help pending the type of jump
but if the double is huge like the one dana didn't make, you might want to bail, a 380 pound quad does hurt when it barralell rolls over top of you ( i found out the hard way when i over shot a jump so hard that the stock supsen actully rebounded and flip the 400 over top of me going towars the right, man did it hurt, everyone around said luckly you didn't break a wrist on impact or the supension didn't blow to peices, it was a huge drop down ( set down table top sort of jump) maybe 5- 10 feet in the air or so)

" to be old and wise you gotta to be young and stupid"
Bro

Pappy
08-23-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by 250rmike

AMEN:(

airheadedduner
08-23-2002, 09:19 PM
I have more troble with tables then doubles. I don't know why but for me doubles are way easier. Like mxdale said, if you are gonna case it try to put the front end down first. I have cased enough dune doubles in my short time, you will learn everything you need to know REAL fast.

Sick0
08-25-2002, 08:09 AM
You of seen it when hit a jump in the wrong gear an case the jump with my front tires. It killed and I didn't even crash.

MxDale71
08-25-2002, 10:04 AM
I think I worded my last post wrong.

If I'm gonna case a jump, I'm gonna try to let my back tires hit first since the rear shock is much better and can take more. If my front end will make it over the top of the landing, I want my back tires to hit first but at the same time, keep my front end down as much as possible (w/o actually hitting the ground) so that it doesn't slam the front down as hard.

I'm not good with words, so that probably doesn't make sence. :huh

bansheeguy77
08-25-2002, 10:51 AM
yea back pain definatly does suck...really all you got to do is practice and get good with judging speeds and what gear to be in to clear the jump...most jumps are mental jumps and ur just scared of it yet u are ur bike are fully capable of doing it ur mind is not....u just gotta get some grapefruits and hit it then u will love it after u did it and be like y didnt i do it? tabletops are easy though cause u can work ur way on them doubles its all or nothing...if ur gonna overshoot a table i try to let the back hit first have the front like 5 inches higher and right before u land get ur weight back and pin it...o and hold on and u will slam down hard but u will keep going 99% of the time. the best thing u can do when u do start going big though is know how to throw the bike around in the air...angling the quad down for the landing is 1 of the best things u can do to ensure a smooth landing...u can hit it perfect but the front might be higher and u will just ride a wheelie down the landing and the front will smash down. its fun though just work on ur skills and u will be fine.

airheadedduner
08-25-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by MxDale71
I think I worded my last post wrong.

If I'm gonna case a jump, I'm gonna try to let my back tires hit first since the rear shock is much better and can take more. If my front end will make it over the top of the landing, I want my back tires to hit first but at the same time, keep my front end down as much as possible (w/o actually hitting the ground) so that it doesn't slam the front down as hard.

I'm not good with words, so that probably doesn't make sence. :huh
When my back tires hit first it catupults me over the bars, maybe I got too much rebound.

MxDale71
08-25-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by airheadedduner

When my back tires hit first it catupults me over the bars, maybe I got too much rebound.

Thats why I said, try to keep the front end down as much as possible w/o them hitting first. Also, keep you arms and legs bent. Racing is much smoother when you allow your arms and legs to act as shocks too. And I forgot to mention to keep it pinned if you're gonna case something... maybe even grab another gear while your in the air and pin it. It'll help keep your quad moving if you stick it bad.

As much as I seem to wreck, I could preach a 6 hour sermon about how things react to different wrecks, but I'm a lot better at explaining stuff in person than I am at writing things down on paper (or typing them).

08-26-2002, 09:54 AM
last time I cased a jump,,I bent my durablue axle, bent my AC propeg nerfs and pegs, bent my subframe, bruised my kidneys and compressed 2 disks in my back..:eek: I thought the swingarm was gonna be the first to go but it didnt'..:huh

08-26-2002, 10:03 AM
it can hurt very bad, try not 2 do it:eek:

LilGuyOn400ex
08-26-2002, 08:25 PM
the last time i cased a double i broke 6 ribs:eek:

oj250r
08-26-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo

ok,,can it mean that you completly over shop the lump and bottomed out or nose dived?????:huh

Juggalo
08-26-2002, 09:14 PM
no nose diving and over shooter are 2 different things from casing.