PDA

View Full Version : Predator 90 too fast

angelon400ex
07-31-2006, 08:38 PM
We have a Predator 90 that was raced by a 14 yr old boy that was trying to get the most speed possible and everything restrictive was removed to make it faster. We now have a 7 yr old girl who has never ridden a quad at all who needs it slowed down to learn. Can anyone tell me exactly what part would need to be replaced to control the speed, where we would need to install the part and how to get one? We haven't had any luck getting this info at our local shop....THANKS

Spike99
07-31-2006, 10:21 PM

If this Pred-90 has its factory thumb control system, simply screw its thumb control restricter "screw" back in. For a picture, surf bottom page of:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/283726905/1258414130052910875hlYTMR

Hope this helps...

BradLoomis
08-01-2006, 09:44 AM
Any motor modifications would be tough to change back to original specs. You could change the roller weights back to stock (8 - 9 gram), which will dog the motor down by engaging the CVT too quickly. Or go to a lighter roller weight (3 - 4 gram) to not allow the CVT to totally work and change the rear gearing back to stock, (35 tooth) which would make it quick and not fast. Spikes thumb throttle limiting screw is a good idea... but if it is a really built motor, it might carbon/load up with a limited throttle position. Once you get these motors built up so far, they don't really like just being trail ridden. But try that first because that might be all she needs to get used to the bike before she starts passing you.:D

Spike99
08-02-2006, 10:42 AM

Another idea is to change its sprockets. If its sprockets / chain is worn out and ready to be replaced, different size sprockets will help.

On our '03 Pred-90, stock sprockets are 35-T (rear) and 19-T front. If you install 18T front and say 39/40T rear, it will help. If replacing a worn out chain, you might want to install an HD O-Ring chain. Due to Pred-90's weight and thin rated factory chain, the HD O-Ring chain lasts much longer.

For pictures in this area, surf:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/284402100/1259301449052910875flvBHa
http://community.webshots.com/photo/284402100/1286840142052910875xaACza
http://community.webshots.com/photo/284402100/1286840559052910875rAtKpi

Note: Changing sprockets won't dramatically lower its ground speed. Ours went from max 30 MPH down to 24 MPH (yet had same engine RPM). For our technical bush trails, my son rarely goes above 20 MPH. Thus, forcing its "top end power" down to its lower ground speed range was worth it for us.

For sprockets and chain replacement, you may want to check with Billy Holt at WRH Racing. I received the custom rear sprocket from Billy and it works great. For our riding environment, much better then factory.

Hope this helps as well...

newnick
08-10-2006, 02:44 PM
If it's a race engine, changing the sprockets may make it wheelie exiting to ride. Couldn't help it,lol

angelon400ex
08-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the replies! I probably wasn't specific enough but the only thing done to add speed was the thumb throttle screw taken out, the restrictor plate that limits the speed 10 mph taken off and the pipe hollowed out where it sounds like crap. We have tried replacing the screw and that didn't limit the speed enough and the other thing we were really needing to know is where the restrictor plate goes and then we have to find a replacement one because that was tossed when we bought it. The four wheeler was only raced 3-4 times and is like brand new with no motor work done. As far as her passing me :D ...I hope she is able to take this sport as far as she wants. I didn't get to start riding until I was 27, started racing at 30, won my first championship at 32 and am now working on winning my second women's championship with the Mideast series at 35. I have seen in the nationals that the top women mostly have been racing for years and/or started riding when they were very small. I am excited about the possibilities she will have in this sport. I just don't want her hurt or killed because the machine is too much. If anyone can tell me where the restrictor plate goes and how to get hold of one I would be thankful! Sincerely, Angela

bigdaddy
08-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Find the CDI , should be up under the front plastic, the stock CDI should have 2 small phillips screws in it, this is where the jumper goes across the 2 screws. If it has a aftermarket CDI it wont have these screws. If you need a stock CDI and jumper somebody on here probably has one laying around. If I still had one around I would send it to you, but its long gone. This will restrict the speed to around 10mph and as the rider gets older and more experianced you can remove it.

angelon400ex
08-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Thanks so much! That was exactly what I was needing to know. If anyone has one they don't need please let me know. If not I may be able to get one from the shop we bought it from if I'm lucky enough they still have one laying around. She is going to think she has died and gone to heaven when she gets to ride it alone the first time. I had her on my Predator today just around the oval track on our property and she loves me going fast.

BradLoomis
08-11-2006, 11:11 AM
The CDI should be just abve the carberator on the upper frame rail. It is a black rectangular box that is held in place by a rubber holder. Pull on the CDI and it should come out of it's holder. The two screws that are there hold a piece of metal that connect the two screws together... a piece of electrical wire or even a bigger paper clip connecting the two screws together will work.

Spike99
08-20-2006, 03:51 PM

For a picture of the CDI and its factory jumper, surf:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/283726905/1258414558052910875cWLoqD

As stated above, use a short piece of Automotive 12 or 14 guage wire or bend a steel paper clip to re-install it as a CDI jumper replacement.

Also, deep in the Polaris manual, it recommends to use the throttle screw less then its CDI RPM "low" setting. Sorry, I can't remember the exact page but it is in the manual. If the throttle screw is set "higher" then its CDI jumper, the mini "may" back fire and run like crap - when it reaches its MAX RPM. The reason is, the throttle is allowing "more" gas flow then it can burn off. Thus, back firing and other strange behavior near the 15 mph ground speed. It's recommended to ensure the throttle control screw is always set LOWER then its CDI RPM level. If possible, do order the proper lenght throttle control screw from Polaris. Might cost under $1.00 but well worth it....

To me, the CDI jumper is a "last resort" speed restrictor. The throttle control screw is the primary speed control setting.

Also, you may want to install NGK BPR7 plugs. The "P" in the code is for protruding Tip and works best under 1/2 throttle. Protruding means it will burn more carbon away. Use "7" for normal heat rnage and use "8" if you live in exteme hot climate. 8 is a cooler plug. Using a proper tip and heat range plug under 1/2 throttle is a good thing to do. Especially if you want its engine to last a very long time.

Hope this helps as well...