PDA

View Full Version : Motor stripped down, Problem isnt what i thought?

Zeppelin03
07-31-2006, 06:03 PM
OK.
This afternoon i stripped down my motor figuring the rings were gone or in bad shape because when it ran before i took it apart it ate through oil like no tommorrow. To my surprise the rings and cylender were in great shape and nothing was wrong with them. My theory as to what was causing the lost oil is a valve problem. My valves were never adjusted and its a 2004. Im the second owner and realized the ticking was the valves which im having adjusted when my motor is back together. But what im trying to get at is , is it possible that since the valves were never adjusted that the valve seals and other related mecanisms allowed oil to seep into the cylinder causing it to burn? If not what else could be the problem that i could look for.

Wheelie
07-31-2006, 06:21 PM
Have the valve guides checked, also replace the valve seals while it's tore down. Hone the cylinder and replace the rings as well.

Zeppelin03
07-31-2006, 06:24 PM
the cylinder is all set, and i bought a 11:1 piston and rings for it. Where do u get valve seals, Serivce Honda i would assume but are there anything other than OEM

Wheelie
07-31-2006, 06:29 PM
Service Honda will have the valve seals, have a local machine shop check the valve guides for you.

Dannys440
08-01-2006, 12:37 AM
Ok, question was it a constant smoke or just on decleration?If it is just deceleration all you need to do is replace valve seals(i just did this 2 weeks ago).I know your motor is broken down i would just replace my valve seals while i had it apart.I got my seals in a full gasket set.

Zeppelin03
08-01-2006, 05:16 AM
Yea. I did the gaskets and plan on gettin seals now. It wasnt a constant smoke...It smoked on starting up an more when i was slowing down than when i was speeding up. The people i ride with said they could always smell oil but mor stongly at times than others

Daver
08-01-2006, 03:48 PM
and while your at it get yourself some valve lapping coumpound and lap those valves after cleaning all the carbon deposit
and dont forget to replace them at the exact same place they were before you disembled them. that way youll be sure they seat properly.!

eldercycle
08-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Do you have the tool to measure the piston to cylinder clearance, what looks good to the eye sometimes measures out of spec.