PDA

View Full Version : 400's vs 450's

redexrider4290
07-31-2006, 05:21 PM
one of my buddy's just got a o6 YFZ450 and man that thing is nice i never thought to much of yahami's before but man that thing rips well anyway i have a 250ex and have a brother with a 400ex and i am really looking into getting a new quad. i also have a freind with a KFX400(stock). well my freind with the yfz said that when he was following my other freind he was low 5th and my other freind on the kfx was pinned. but i thought there was only a couple miles an hour difference.

my question is this i am 16 and a pretty experienced rider i have a 250 and am now wandering what bike i should get nex.

there is no way i can afford something new so im gona have to get something used. i probobly will get a Z or a KFX because thats wat i can afford but how much of a difference is there between the 450's and the Z400's i mean that yfz felt like it would yank up in any gear no problem are z pretty powerfull like that and if i had a z could i keep up pretty good with a 450?

should i get the z or try to wait another couple years for a 450?

if anyone can give me any suggestions i would really apreciate it.

thanks

quads14589
07-31-2006, 05:27 PM
there is only like 4 or 5mph difference between a 450 and a 400 the 450 just got a s@#$ load more acceleration. i would just go with the 400ex.

TrapZ400
07-31-2006, 05:40 PM
get a z

troutman561
07-31-2006, 05:43 PM
Yea who cares about the top speed difference anyways the 450 will destroy it in a drag becaus of acceleration, so just keep that in mind when trying to find a 400 that will "keep up".. now in trails its all rider and if your better than the guy with a YFZ you could prob keep up with him in the technical stuff...

redexrider4290
07-31-2006, 05:51 PM
yeah im not really concerned about the top speed thing i just didn't think there would be that much of a difference between them for the z being topped out and the yfz being bottom 5th

how much of a difference would there be if the z had mods like a pipe and filter and rejeted.

would it keep up with the yfz in the trails and wat about a little more open places .

i am a little better on a clutch bike then my buddy right now just because he's not to use to it but he is a real good rider were just better at different stuff.

would a z with a pipe and filter and rejeted be a pretty quick bike would it be even close to a stock 450 like how much difference would there be power wise

MOFO
07-31-2006, 05:53 PM
A guy I work with just bought a Z400 - he does not know much about sport quads....anyways...

He got together with some local guys to do some riding and rode a 400EX and a 450R. He clearly stated he bought the wrong quad... not based on speed or power, but how they handled and how comfortable he felt on the honda's. He really did not know there was such a difference between sport quads.

I suggest you ride all of them since you can ride them. Buy what YOU like and what YOU find comfortable to ride and control.

400exmkt
07-31-2006, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
A guy I work with just bought a Z400 - he does not know much about sport quads....anyways...

He got together with some local guys to do some riding and rode a 400EX and a 450R. He clearly stated he bought the wrong quad... not based on speed or power, but how they handled and how comfortable he felt on the honda's. He really did not know there was such a difference between sport quads.

I suggest you ride all of them since you can ride them. Buy what YOU like and what YOU find comfortable to ride and control.

Very true, get whatever feels good to you. I almost bought a z but thank god i didnt because after ive been on my ex the z just doesnt feel right to me.

Just get whatever you like the best they are all good machines.

Wheelie
07-31-2006, 08:16 PM
As was said before, get what you're comfortable with. Personally I'd take a 400ex over a 450R, simply because I'm very comfortable with the machine.

I've ridden 450's, I prefer the EX.

Toadz400
07-31-2006, 11:54 PM
I personally feel the Z400 is the best all-around sport quad. If I had extra money I would definately buy one.

The Z/KFX400 have no problem hanging with the 450's when properly modified. A girl that was in the same class as me this weekend was on a KFX400 built up by Yoshimura and had no problem keeping up with me on the track.

firefighterjosh
07-31-2006, 11:59 PM
My GF has a KFX 400 with a YOSH full system and I raced a stock LTR 450 from a 1st gear rolling start and we were neck and neck.

YFZ450Ridr
08-01-2006, 12:01 AM
i came off of a 250ex and got z400 when i was 15. exactly 1 year later i wanted somthing bigger. the 400 is now forsale and i have a nice yfz sitting in the garage. the 450 rips WAY MORE than my 400 would of ever.

the acceleration is phenominal along with the torque and handling. the stock suspension isnt all that great, but compared to my 400s old suspenion they are like pillows.

if your having thoughts about a 450, there is no point in getting a 400 because sooner or later youll be wanting one. i can sit in my garage and point out things for an hour that is better on a 450 than my 400. do your self a big favor and get a 450.

08-01-2006, 06:00 AM
The new 450's seem to be set up for MX racing. Shocks with reservoirs, wider a-arms and rear axles, etc.

Not sure how motors compare, but the most obvious difference betwen the 400's and 450's is suspension.

Your selection is one instance where its OK to live by the motto "If it feels good, do it."

Your bikes gota work for YOU - no one else.

I'm a big fan of Hondas, and the 400EX is time tested.

PTMracing
08-01-2006, 06:58 AM
Here's my 2 cents............and that's all it's worth................It really depends on what you REALLY want out of a quad, what you'd be content with. 3 to 4000 dollars....that's alot of money to a kid your age!! At least it was when I was that age...still is! Anyway..A 400ex is a great feeling quad, parts are affordable and readily available. A z400 is simply a step up in power. Once again.. a great feeling quad. These, along with the 400ex, can be found-right now- with mods for GREAT prices considering the cost of modding one yourself. They are for sale every where due to the boom in popularity of the 450's. There are alot of people jumping ship on the 400cc quads, in the 'rat-race' to stay up front. If that's what you want to do.....stay up front.....then you should try to find a good buy on a 450. But be careful. It's a big jump to the 450. The 450 power is awesome, and would put you up front while going through the gears down the dirt roads!!! But is that really all that important? In my opinion.....Have fun. Buy a nice 400 that someone put alot of TLC, elbow grease, and cash into. You'll find one. And you'll love it. If racing is EVEN AN OPTION... then go 450. I'm stepping down from my soapbox now. Thank you.

killen them all
08-01-2006, 10:51 AM
get the z or kfx dont get a 400ex

i would get the z and put the doug gust yoshi kit in it

redexrider4290
08-01-2006, 05:56 PM
thanks for the advice

i've riden the 400ex a good bit to get a good feel of it i like it and everything i think i just want something with a little more power the suspension on it is probobly good enough for me because i don't really jump that much i just would like to be able hit a decent sized jump if i had the chance

i always wanted a 400ex but then i rode on the back of the YFZ and it just felt like it had so much more power that the ex i loved how fast it accelerated

i don't race (other than around trails and stuff with my freinds) most of the ridin i do is just cruzin around ridin wheelies and stuff like that i don;t really do a lot of straight wide open stuff i just want to be able to go pretty fast if i wanted

i dont really think i can afford a 450 (my dream would be a 450r) but i don; t want to get a z and just get boared with it and want something new right away. but im used to rideing a 250 and still have fun on it so i figure a z400 would be a pretty good step up.

i herd their suspention is pretty good and i thought if i wanted to mod it it would be worth doin like pipe,filter.maybe cam and bore.

so do you guys think a Z400 with some mods is still worth gettin i mean i could still get up and go pretty good don;t they. (and still havin reverse seems nice).

MY BIGGEST CONCERN DO Z400'S WHEELIE GOOD THAT 450 FELT LIKE IT WOULD JUST YANK UP DO Z'S HAVE A GOOD AMOUNT OF TORQE. HOW WOULD THEY COMPARE TO A 250 IN POWEr

thanks you guys i know this is long but I'm just trying to find info and you guys haven;t let me down ye. i really aprieciate it all

Lax
08-01-2006, 06:30 PM
get a new 05 or 04 yfz or trx for cheap if the dealers have any in stock left over. Or get a good condition used one.

Toadz400
08-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Go with a Z400, you won't be disappointed at all. They are awesome for wheelies, I feel they are easier than a YFZ. You will not be bored with a Z400 and they can keep up with 450's no problem with some mods, and they also get up and go very well for only being a 400. Like I said, if I had extra money I would definately buy a Z400 for doing exactly what you do, just riding and having fun. I wish I could set my YFZ up for strictly MX racing but 1. I can't afford that and 2. I love to ride the trails too.