PDA

View Full Version : little help here

brstrike
07-31-2006, 04:51 PM
Hey,I'm brand new to the atv thing.So,I know comeing from being a member of other forums the new members ask the same things over and over lol.Have mercy on me lol and give me some basic advice for a basic upgrade in performance brands,parts,etc.I have a new 400 trx

thanks for the help god bless

lghickman21
07-31-2006, 08:10 PM
there is a search button at the top of the forum pages that you can use to search through archived stuff before you ask a question, may answer your question so you don't have to wait for replies. Everyone has there own opinions on what parts are best. if you find something that interests you, try it out and then tell us how it worked. the quick list of performance for almost anything is an exhaust, cam, piston, and the cheap performance is gearing. suspension is probably the best thing to spend your money on so that you can get the best out of your bike. Don't be afraid to ask questions, everyone will be happy to help. (hopefully) Welcome to exriders.com! Check out C&D racing for parts!

firefighterjosh
07-31-2006, 10:50 PM
Welcome to the site.

buster024
07-31-2006, 11:19 PM
Congrats on first post. Performance mods will really vary depending on the kind of riding you plan on doing, but getting started by getting more air into your bike i.e. filters, exhaust, headers (or not :devil: ) is a great idea. No matter what kind of riding you do, starting there is a wise idea. Don't forget about good gear as well. Boots are a must have, nerf bars look awesome and can save your ***** in the dirt. Suspension is an awesome idea (expensive), as the 400 stock suspension is crappy. There are tons of things to do. Get ready to get sucked in!!:D :D

-copyguy-
08-01-2006, 06:11 AM
Lets see, I started off getting better tires (I bought my quad used). Then I got some better pegs (used on ebay, double width with kickups) so that I had better control. Then I adjusted the stock suspension the best I could for trail riding. Switched out the stock front sprocket for more torque and put on a better chain. Just picked up a steering stabillizer last night. Looking to get an HMF exhaust in the next couple of months. Then 440 stroker...ummm....stroker goodness....then I'll need a better suspension...

It is a vicious cycle...don't get sucked in...just give me your quad now :devil:

brstrike
08-01-2006, 07:36 PM
copyguy I seen you said you adjusted your stock suspension.I seen something about that in the manual.I am gonna be doing mainly trail riding whats the best way to adjust for this kind of riding? thanks again

-copyguy-
08-03-2006, 06:32 AM
I just softened everything as much as I could and slowed the rebound down in the rear. I also dropped the rear ride height down a little. I ride mostly trails and was trying to eliminate as many of the hard jolts as I could.

You basically need to try some of the adjustments to see if the change is positive or negative to your riding style.

Here's a good article on shocks:
http://www.quadmagazine.com/quad/features/article/0,24942,1172631,00.html