PDA

View Full Version : oversised oil cooler

1ride2for-god
07-31-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm thinking about getting an oversised oil coiler for my Rancher 350. I ride trails pretty hard, so it heats up realy quickly. Do they make that much difference, or is it just another thing to get you to spend a little more money. IF they do make any difference, what brand should I get? Thanks a lot, God bless you all.:)

tltcracing
08-03-2006, 01:57 PM
hmm... i never herd of someone getting one for a utility... i would say just chainge the oil more ofter bc i have never seen one for the rancher.

1ride2for-god
08-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Do you think one for a 400EX might fit with a few mounting mods?

pnut420
08-07-2006, 01:12 PM
I really dont think the rancher would need it, but if you want to put one on there, I would call four stroke tech (mickey dunlap). He has done alot of these coolers, but for the 400ex it does require some tapping a hole or two which he charges very little to do the tapping.

Ive never seen one on a utility but dunlap does alot of utilities also.

DirtDevilBT
08-07-2006, 10:52 PM
why do holes need to be drilled? The 400ex already has one, can a bigger one just go in it's place. Does the rancher have one, if so just put a larger one from a 400 in. The hoses normally mount all the same, but the mounts might need to be worked over.

My warrior has an oil cooler, but that never had one so I tapped into interior oil lines.

pnut420
08-07-2006, 11:43 PM
Well the cooler for the ex that mickey had is better than most because he relocates where the oil flows, I dont remeber exaxtly but it goes from the cooler then dumps it down into the valves, when it normally has the hotter oil leaving the tank flowing over the valves. Its hard to explain and I havent had an Ex in awhile, if youve got questions mickey dunlap at four stroke tech can answer them he is an expert, Im just a tile guy lol.

DirtDevilBT
08-08-2006, 01:34 AM
counter/cabinet guy lol

I enjoyed talking to Mickey but wan't impressed with the oil cooler I got for my warrior. It used press fittings and had a leak. Just go to AutoZone, Kragen, PepBoys or whatever is near you and look at their transmission coolers. I ended up using one of those and it worked great. I think it was a #201 cooler or something. But those use hose clamps not flanges.

pnut420
08-08-2006, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by DirtDevilBT
counter/cabinet guy lol

I enjoyed talking to Mickey but wan't impressed with the oil cooler I got for my warrior. It used press fittings and had a leak. Just go to AutoZone, Kragen, PepBoys or whatever is near you and look at their transmission coolers. I ended up using one of those and it worked great. I think it was a #201 cooler or something. But those use hose clamps not flanges.

Ah yeah Ive never seen them for a warrior either. Never heard any problems with the 400ex leaking. The 400ex is probably the most impressive cooler he has, because it changes the way the oil flows, oil coming out of the cooler is prob 20-30 degress cooler than when its leaving the tank. Im assuming the warrior was just a bolt up design.

Another thing some people have done is add 2 coolers, seemed pretty simple.

1ride2for-god
08-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by pnut420
Ah yeah Ive never seen them for a warrior either. Never heard any problems with the 400ex leaking. The 400ex is probably the most impressive cooler he has, because it changes the way the oil flows, oil coming out of the cooler is prob 20-30 degress cooler than when its leaving the tank. Im assuming the warrior was just a bolt up design.

Another thing some people have done is add 2 coolers, seemed pretty simple.

How would you go about doing that, 2 coolers sounds pimp. I'm going to take the fan out anyways, so I'll have plenty of room. I don't like the fan, it just doesn't seem that effective. Thanks for all the input people, you all were a good help. God bless you gyz.:)

pnut420
08-08-2006, 03:24 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85290&highlight=dual

This guy did it but it doesnt show how he did it real good.

DirtDevilBT
08-08-2006, 11:37 PM
The warrior doesn't have an oil cooler, I had to tap into interior oil lines to run hoses up to a mounted cooler. That's why I was wondering what FST did with the 400ex. Sounds good, so does the dual coolers too as long as there isn't much pressure drop.