PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Baskets?

Sparks425Ex
08-22-2002, 11:01 AM
Ok i am in the market for a new clutch and i need to know a few things:

I have the stock clutch still in my 40Ex and i am prolly gnnan get a Sparks Clutch Kit.

Will i need a new Clutch Basket?

If i get a Barenett will i need a new Clutch basket?

What clutch kit could i get that does not need a nedd Clutch basket?

I do race Mx so i need a clutch that will holf up to teh beatign i give it.

Thanks For Anything
Justin

Big - D Racing
08-22-2002, 07:27 PM
you can use your stock clutch basket with either of those kits. If you go to a hison 8 plate clutch you have to get the hinson oversized basket and hinson side case. If you decide to go with sparks or barnet you can use stock or upgrade to a billet basket by performance enginering it will increase life of the clutch and keep it cooler but it runs for $150 on top of the price of the kit.

Sick0
08-22-2002, 07:30 PM
Get the billet clutch basket

MichaelS693
08-22-2002, 07:44 PM
hinson clutch basket thats what most draggers use

cals400ex
08-22-2002, 10:04 PM
i have the sparks clutch kit. i have 8 friction plates and 7 steel plates. this also comes with the heavy duty springs. it was like 148 shipped and all. i am using the stock basket. you can use the stock basket. call up sparks and ask if you can use the stock basket. that is what i did and they said it will fit fine. it does fit because that is what i have in right now. the only thing is i have to have the clutch lever almost all the way back to the hand grip in order for the clutch to be totally disengaged. i also have no play in the clutch lever.

oynot400
08-23-2002, 08:10 AM
How hard does the clutch lever pull now? A buddy put in a Barnett dirt digger kit in his banshee and it is nearly impossible to pull. :huh

cals400ex
08-24-2002, 12:20 AM
yes you can definately tell a difference in the pull. it is a little stiffer than stock but not by a great margin. this clutch really helped out though. you can ride the clutch in corners and out of them a lot better. it definately seems like it would help out on a track. it is hard to explain, you just need to experience it for yourself.

Sparks425Ex
08-24-2002, 07:09 AM
Would the pull be lighter if i got a new clutch basket to go with the new Clutch kit i am going to be getting. I will also be gettign a new Lever and pearch. Before i went with the cheap levers like the MSR. and i am sick of them. They wear so fast then they jsut wobble. I am thinking about get the works connectiong clutch lever.

How is this lever and what is so special about it to pay 100+ for it?

Thanks,
Justin

MichaelS693
08-24-2002, 10:11 AM
im getttin hinson put in my blaster:D

cals400ex
08-24-2002, 11:17 AM
i would not think the basket would have anything to do with the pull of the lever, but i am not sure. what makes the lever harder to pull is the heavy duty springs. they do made easy pull clutch cables that seem to smooth things out quite a bit. although i have never tried one on a 400ex but i have on a blaster and wow. it really smoothed out the blasters clutch.

Sick0
08-24-2002, 03:39 PM
What about the hydrlic clutch.

Sick0
08-24-2002, 03:39 PM
What about the hydrolic clutch.

Dave400ex
08-24-2002, 04:10 PM
The Hinson 8 Plate Setup is the best way to go but around $1,000 in Parts. If I were you I would get the Sparks and a Hinson Baske or give TC Racing a call and Tom will get you an awesome Clutch Setup.

Claas900
08-24-2002, 09:51 PM
..Hi,I have the Sparks so far so good.it does fit in the stock basket,and if you buy an aftermarket one it'll fit that one too,there all the same,Hinson,P.E.,you can put 8 in both.But I dont know this for sure but i think the Sparks is just 250r fiber's with 300ex steals??I think thats how Sparks makes them fit??I think there thinner,thats how they fit.But Sparks does offer H/D springs for like $20 or $30..so..but get the Sparks..and for a basket,replacet it if you have a LOT of ride time on it or a built motor,a basket can make a differents on lever pull cuzz with time groves get wore in the basket makeing like notches in it,makeing it hard to pull.. you can also do a search on this a lot of stuff will come up.....Thanks Hoped I helped..

cals400ex
08-25-2002, 12:29 AM
hey class900, do you have any play in your lever? i don't right now and mine seems to disengage pretty early. its weird because when i get the lever about 3/4's of the way pulled back i can feel it get stiffer or not as smooth. also mine does not seem to shift quite as smooth as it did with the stock clutch but i am not sure why.

Claas900
08-25-2002, 04:46 PM
..yeah cals400ex i dont have any free play in my either,and yes i did notice you have to have the lever in almost all the way to shift,i noticded this because when id power slid,and hit the brake id kill it,but iv gotton use to it now,and just learned to work with it,but it has been holding up very well tho,I hope to go to the brach soon here ,that will be the true test for it,i always kill the clutch when im over there..Thanks