PDA

View Full Version : machined clutch basket

oynot400
08-22-2002, 10:36 AM
When I was talking with Mike at For Dirt Only, he metioned that he machines the stock clutch basket to fit a 8 disk system. Does any one else do this? I haven't heard of anyone doing it but then again there are alot of things out there that I don't hear about. :(
Thanks....

Big - D Racing
08-22-2002, 07:31 PM
HAven't heard of that before, but it doesn't sound reliable. Your stock basket is pretty weak as it is, and if you go to a heavy duty 8 plate kit like hinsons and use that weak basket that is extended it probably wouldn't last long. I wouldn't buy any basket like that ever for any set up. Aftermarket and stock basket are precisionaly made on multi-million dollar machines, not in the hands of a mechanic or technician.

Sick0
08-22-2002, 07:32 PM
I agree. It doesn't some like a good idea.

FullBore52
08-22-2002, 10:51 PM
Yea, stock clutch baskets are crap...I broke one just after I got my engine done. :huh

Teufel
08-23-2002, 07:56 AM
I did it with my Banshees and never had a problem. I got the idea from a shop in Arizona, Engine Trix. It was a very popular mod with desert racers. I wouldn't be afraid to try it. You will need to change spring length to prevent coil bind. Another mod they used was to drill a series of 1/16" holes into the circumfrence of the hubs. They were placed in the groove where the fiber plate slides onto the hub. They have to be spaced equally so not to throw the hub out of balance.
This mod allowed for the centrifical force to push oil into the plates from the inside.
It worked out well on the Banshee

08-23-2002, 01:32 PM
it is not the stock basket it is the inner hub. and it will not hurt the reliability at all. it is taken down to have the same finish as the hub new it just allows more rome for more plates.

oynot400
08-23-2002, 01:38 PM
Thanks GNCCer, when I call Mike tonight I was going to question that a little more. I bought that crankshaft last night. :D He is going to send it to Mike next week to install the new rod. I can hardly wait, but I am going to wait until after the race season to tear it down. Then again that is only a few weeks away. :(

86atc250r
08-23-2002, 03:06 PM
I run GT Thunder's version of this setup and it works well.... GNCCer's correct about the inner hub.

oynot400
08-23-2002, 07:55 PM
Yea GNCCer and Gabe is right. I talked with Mike a little bit ago. He does machine the pressure plate and he will also machine some oil holes in the back of the basket. He is real reasonable about doing it also, turn around is real quick too! :D
He did say that I might want to look for a hydraulic clutch lever though.

86atc250r
08-23-2002, 10:27 PM
I ran the stock springs in my setup and the clutch pull didn't change much if any. Neutral is a little harder to find with the additional friction of the extra plate, but gets better as the clutch breaks in.