PDA

View Full Version : Shifting trouble on 06 450

15round
07-31-2006, 09:42 AM
It seems I have a problem hitting neutral when shifting from 1st to 2nd.It doesnt happen all the time but enough to annoy me.I tried moving the lever down one spline but it is still the same.Anyone else experience this?

tltcracing
07-31-2006, 10:48 AM
when you say down one spine do yuo mean the shifter is now pionting down or up? i have shifting probs with any bike that doesnt have the shifter rotated up at least one notch. but if thats the way you have your you might just have to just take more time when shifting. its usualy not a tranny prob if thats what you mean, we all hit it at some point or other.

fatkid400
08-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Yeah angle up so you have to pick your foot up higher:huh I know it doesnt make sence but its true up 1 spline.Also do you use the clutch when you shift? if so STOP...Only use the clutch to stop, take off or down shift,not to up shift :huh I Know that doesnt make sence either but trust me it'll shift ALOT smoother and faster for ya.450R's trans are "notchy feeling" Dont use the clutch and SLAM it into 2nd It'll work trust me.I've done both to every bike and quad I've ever owned cause I do the same thing you do.....Grab a false neutral at exactly the wrong time and CRASH!!:D

benwa450r
08-05-2006, 08:38 AM
I disagree with fatkid400. I would not suggest shifting with no clutch. A 2-stroke can get away with it but the mass and flywheel weight of 4-stroke makes it hard on tranny gears shifting with no clutch.

If you're hitting false neutrals, either your shifter is too low and your foot is accidentally pulling up enough to hit neutral or your shifter is too high and you are not pulling up far enough to lock tranny in next gear. Riding position and boot thickness is different for most people. Adjust your shifter up or down to make it work for you.... but use the clutch... unless you want to damage the tranny. :)

fatkid400
08-05-2006, 07:01 PM
You wont damage anything,least I never have and I've been shifting like that on 2 and 4 strokes for years and have NEVER had any tranny problems.The only time I had problems is when I used the clutch.Maybe I'm just lucky?

2006black450
01-02-2007, 12:46 AM
Well now i am confused so do i use a clutch when shifting or not?...

AtvKid4Eva
01-02-2007, 09:13 AM
USE the clutch.

smarty_HondaUK
01-02-2007, 09:35 AM
If you don't use the clutch you will damage the dogs on the gears.... (that means the inside of the gears) and that could cost you £1200 if it finally breaks!!!

lumi
01-02-2007, 09:41 AM
hey uk i got a 450r in montengro!!!! just wanted to vent that.

yea imo i dont like to power shift... and at low speeds u pretty much need the clutch... so ...

and yes u can damge the gears. its there for a reason imo.

anyways yea it has happen to me and almost all 450 class quads.... on my 06 450r i just try to make a clean shift and focus on what im doing.. when im not paying attention i always end up ion neutral when shifting from firs to second... and than when i tryu to shift to second again...I GET A SLAP SOUND.. u get that???

-lumi

smarty_HondaUK
01-02-2007, 09:47 AM
i have heard about a lot of gearbox failures in the UK but when I watch the riders that are having the problems they are very agressive and never smooth. If you treat it right it will treat you right!!! The clutch is built for a reason...changing gear!!

rollie
01-02-2007, 12:37 PM
this happened alot to me in the begining, it hasnt happened sence i moved my shifter down, but i just hope i dont hit neutral on a holeshot:mad: id be pissed, lol

Jonas
01-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Is your clutch cable adjusted correctly?

lumi
01-02-2007, 08:37 PM
imo this will happen no matta what unless something is damged within.. almost all 450's like i mentioned have come upon this "fals neutral" in between 1st and second... u have to pull the lcuthc in hard and click her up hard.... its called lazy foot syndrome...

but im with these guys try adjusting the shifter lever.

my yfz does it all day
good luck

-lumi