PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm bolt removal

duey
07-31-2006, 06:43 AM
Need some tips on removing the swingarm bolt on a 03 400ex. I have spent about 4 hours now trying to get it out, 2 cans of PB- blaster and beating on the end with a hammer. The bolt does not even turn with an impact wrench. Best way to cut it out? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Pappy
07-31-2006, 07:07 AM
plasma cutter works, saw zall etc.

its a b!tch, many many hours working on removing them and each one seems to have its own level of difficulty:p

07-31-2006, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
plasma cutter works, saw zall etc.

its a b!tch, many many hours working on removing them and each one seems to have its own level of difficulty:p

Yup.

Best thing you can do is go out and learn a bunch of new swear words, cuz you are gonna need them all to remove a swing arm bolt.

It was the single hardest part of my 250R rebuild.

Its not something you remove. Its something you cut out.

Seriously.

A few pieces of advice - study it for several hours before beginning. Figger out what you can and cannot bang on / heat up / pry against / smash with a hammer.

Be prepared to walk away from the project for several hours. Or days. Weeks is not unreasonable.

Find the dog or cat a new home. No sense in kicking them for what is not their fault.

Remove all firearms from the house. No sense in harming yourself, or others, in a blind rage. Bullet holes in your quad will only prolong the project.

Warn co-workers ahead of time that you will be in a foul mood for the next month. Better, quit your job, and find a new one after the project is done. It will consume all your time, thoughts and energy. No sense in having an ugly firing on your resume.

Consider attending church. Divine help is recommended to remove a swing arm bolt.

Best wishes.

duey
07-31-2006, 08:13 AM
Not what I wanted to hear:( but your responses did give me a good laugh... which I needed after all the cursing I did yesterday (My Rottweiler would not come anywhere near me during the 4 hours I worked on this thing... she probably thinks I'm nuts). Oh well, I guess I'll head to the hardware store and pick up a bunch of new blades and start cutting. Thanks Guys

exrider008
07-31-2006, 08:18 AM
i got lucky because mine comes out sooooo easy all u have to do is poke it through with a punch. but my friened has a 99 and we couldnt ge that thing out to save our lifes.
good luck! ur gona need it.

400exrules
07-31-2006, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by garandman
Yup.

Best thing you can do is go out and learn a bunch of new swear words, cuz you are gonna need them all to remove a swing arm bolt.

It was the single hardest part of my 250R rebuild.

Its not something you remove. Its something you cut out.

Seriously.

A few pieces of advice - study it for several hours before beginning. Figger out what you can and cannot bang on / heat up / pry against / smash with a hammer.

Be prepared to walk away from the project for several hours. Or days. Weeks is not unreasonable.

Find the dog or cat a new home. No sense in kicking them for what is not their fault.

Remove all firearms from the house. No sense in harming yourself, or others, in a blind rage. Bullet holes in your quad will only prolong the project.

Warn co-workers ahead of time that you will be in a foul mood for the next month. Better, quit your job, and find a new one after the project is done. It will consume all your time, thoughts and energy. No sense in having an ugly firing on your resume.

Consider attending church. Divine help is recommended to remove a swing arm bolt.

Best wishes.

LMFAO!

oh boy, ive never taken mine out....but i need to soon....its gonna be fun:rolleyes:

07-31-2006, 10:56 AM
i got mine out with an air hammer with a brass bunch came like butter:D

BuzzAlmighty
07-31-2006, 12:14 PM
I got one of the easy ones. Just a few love taps and I'm home free.

Wheelie
07-31-2006, 12:46 PM
I had to destroy the swingarm bolt to get it out. It was a PITA. Needless to say the new one went in with a liberal amount of anti-sieze applied to it.

miller821
07-31-2006, 03:44 PM
Weew, I remember that same problem when I took mine out:ermm:

What we did was pour a ton of lube everywhere possible on that bolt, and started hitting it with a SLEDGE HAMMER! We hit it a few times and it would budge, put more oil on it and keep doing... Hit that thing at least 30+ times and finally it came out.

DOHC
07-31-2006, 04:00 PM
I had the same problem i had to drill it out and cut the bolt with the torch. BUT BECARFUL the case is very close to the bolt if u use a torch dont get to close cause the case is aluminum and can crack easy. After u get the bolt out have fun trying to get a new one lol (cost alot i just made my bolt) :macho

Wheelie
07-31-2006, 05:07 PM
I got a new nut and bolt through www.servicehonda.com for about 35$ IIRC.

DOHC
07-31-2006, 05:46 PM
My dealer told me alot more then that so i just made it alot of my parts i made myself :)

lghickman21
07-31-2006, 07:58 PM
mine was seized up so i just kept riding it til i destroyed the swingarm:D came out real easy then. of course then i had to buy a new swinger, bolt, nut etc. Come to think of it, that probably wasn't the best way to go about it.:ermm:

07-31-2006, 08:32 PM
mine was seized up so i just kept riding it til i destroyed the swingarm came out real easy then. of course then i had to buy a new swinger, bolt, nut etc. Come to think of it, that probably wasn't the best way to go about it.

lmao:D :D

duey
08-01-2006, 04:44 AM
Well I have about 10 hours into the project now:eek2: but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I used a die grinder and cut the swingarm off... what a PITA... now I'm using a dremmel tool and cutoff wheel to cut through the two hardened spacers which the bolt is actually seized to. Hopefully the bolt is not siezed in the engine cases cause I don't know how much more I can take.

Lessen learned - I have never bought a used bike before and probably never will again :(

Wheelie
08-01-2006, 06:47 AM
The swingarm bolt siezes in place regardless whether it's new or used--it just happens.

Use a liberal amount of anti-sieze when you reassemble it.

redrocker
08-01-2006, 06:55 AM
I drilled mine out