View Full Version : Disk Defrag Problem

ShiftFMX
07-31-2006, 04:02 AM
Whenever I try to Defrag (C), I get a popup error that says,

"Disk Defragmentor has detected that chkdsk scheduled to run on the volume: (C).

Please run Chkdsk /f."

:mad: How do I fix this?

FreekShow
07-31-2006, 05:54 AM
start-run-chkdsk

250R-Dee
07-31-2006, 08:17 AM
When you see that popup just restart your computer. Defrag and chkdsk will run after the POST completes.

zeppelin
07-31-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by 250R-Dee
When you see that popup just restart your computer. Defrag and chkdsk will run after the POST completes.

if he doesnt know what chkdsk is i doubt he knows what POST is... restart your computer, and chkdsk will run by it self...

ShiftFMX
07-31-2006, 09:12 AM
thanks guys :macho

250R-Dee
07-31-2006, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by zeppelin
if he doesnt know what chkdsk is i doubt he knows what POST is... restart your computer, and chkdsk will run by it self...

Most motherboards will say "POST" when the power is initialized. POST= Power On Self Test but that is totally irrelevant.

In most cases, the chkdsk /f popup is encountered while trying to do a defrag because there are processes running that will make the computer crash or if there are errors on the disk that need to be repaired before defrag can be allowed to run it's course. When this occurs Defrag will automatically schedule chkdsk to run "with auto repair" before defrag to runs at the next bootup.

chkdsk /f = check disk and repair errors.
chkdsk and defrag are not the same program.