PDA

View Full Version : If you have an ER please look!!!

Shift_450R
07-30-2006, 10:01 PM
Im looking into either a ER or an 06 yfz and i need to know how many of you guys have had starting problems or any other major problems...thanks

400exrider0004
07-30-2006, 10:07 PM
All you hear is the bad part about having starting problems. You never hear the good. Most of the time people hold down the starter button for 5 minutes and the starter goes bad, because your not suppose to do that. My 06 starts fine when cold and if it does stall when hot, you HAVE to try starting the bike in small intervals. Let the starter rest, and it will be ok. We all need patients. But yah, the 06 450r is a very good bike, especially when u get an exhaust or the HRC kit.

Josh

JF400EX
07-30-2006, 10:19 PM
I love my '06 ER - always fires right up and never had a problem with it. I don't understand why so many others seem to have starting problems with them.

Flodies400ex
07-30-2006, 10:59 PM
theres nothing wrong with mine but sometimes when i am up on a hill then push on the gas it shuts off but fires right back on so if I was you I would get the 450ER you will never regret getting it and get the HRC kit because its makes the bike alot faster

4ABURN
07-31-2006, 06:27 AM
I love my ER no problems at all so far (every other day for 7 months) and do not baby it.:D

quadguy83
07-31-2006, 07:27 AM
After bumpin my decompression pressure up mine starts great hot or cold

jhoppa
07-31-2006, 09:21 AM
I have had starting issues with my Honda, but still think it is the best bike out there and glad I bought it.

Honda just came out with TSB on the starters. One-way sprag bearing and gears. I just had mine replaced under warranty. Honda says this fails when you give it gas when trying to start.

Comparing the Honda to YFZ on starting... YFZ wins. When it is Cold it normally takes 2-4 cranks before it starts and when it is HOT.... depends how hot, I guess.... sometimes mine will start right away and sometimes it will crank 8-12 times before starting.

I wish mine started like the 400ex, but still love the bike!

Lax
07-31-2006, 09:29 AM
You have to read the manual. The manual states that you cannot hold it down longer then 5 seconds, every 10 seconds. Heat generated will may damage the starter.

I start it EVERYTIME the FIRST try, as a little trick I will tell you without choke.

Before starting, press the throttle twice, and hit the start button, starts up in a second. :)

450rJam
07-31-2006, 10:22 AM
mine also starts better if I pump the gas twice BEFORE touching the start button

450ERRRRRR!
07-31-2006, 10:23 AM
I too use that little trick, it seems to prime it just about right. I've never had a problem 1 with my ER. After rejetting it still starts like it did stock. I think some need to turn up their idle screw just a little. It makes a big difference.

jhoppa
07-31-2006, 10:58 AM
Sorry guys.... I have to disagree....with or without the tricks the YFZ starts better than the Honda and is more consistent starting than the Honda.

Go to a harescramble race and compare if you don't believe me. You will have lots of folks running YFZ an 450ER out there.

Honda's have to turn over 2-3 times more than the YFZ. I ride with about 6 other guys who all have 450ER and all our bikes start the same way.

trx400exxracer
07-31-2006, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by jhoppa
Sorry guys.... I have to disagree....with or without the tricks the YFZ starts better than the Honda and is more consistent starting than the Honda.

Go to a harescramble race and compare if you don't believe me. You will have lots of folks running YFZ an 450ER out there.

Honda's have to turn over 2-3 times more than the YFZ. I ride with about 6 other guys who all have 450ER and all our bikes start the same way.

i agree with you but i am getting a kicker kit to put on mine so i can have both

i also have to agree with 400exrider0004

but there is a kicker kit out there and you can put it on and have both if the electric start isnt good enough for you

Dave400ex
07-31-2006, 06:47 PM
It's not bad, unless you race XC. I think most of the problems you will hear are from racers. I am taking mine in to have it looked at. I might add a kicker as well.

coalson
07-31-2006, 08:49 PM
I had probs with my starter but it was my own fault:mad: Like many have said DO NOT give it gas while starting it. It was around $400 to fix glad i bought warrenty:D I highly recommend the honda

awj8074
07-31-2006, 09:18 PM
I went riding with a kid that had a 06ER and If I get a new one I'm getting another kickstart. He had nothing but trouble and I could Kick mine once thats all it ever takes to start and then i'd have to sit there and wait for him to get his going. I can start mine faster than both my friends with 400ex's and my friend with a kfx400. 1 kick is all it takes hot or cold. Only time a Electric start would be nice is when your stuck on a hill but even then I can get it started sitting down if I have to.

CHEVYZ
08-01-2006, 10:40 AM
I have had the ER for a while now and have not had one problem. Starts up incredibly easy everytime. I wanted a kick, but they didn't have it. I went with the ER and with the HRC kit installed, it is a flawless bike to me.

08-01-2006, 11:07 AM
i have an hrc er and race it A class. i have always heard of Big problems w/ the starter even before i bought mine, so before i started racing it , i tested it.. i tried every stall situation i could think of, even super hot( tight 2nd gear track, hamerin for 20 min) then locking the rear to a stop and it always fired right back up:devil: P.S. it is also much harder to stall than my 04 good luck w/ your des.

Flyin-Low
08-01-2006, 02:35 PM
Havent had a problem with mine yet. But i do freakout when people try to take it for a ride and pump the gas when starting. HAHA, i literally freak out.