PDA

View Full Version : ball joint - auto part replacement?

Razorback
08-22-2002, 09:36 AM
i've got one of the ball joints on my houser a-arms that has the boot torn. i want to replace it before this weekend if at all possible. i've heard these ball joints can be found at an auto parts store. has anyone done this? and do you know what car/truck/van it is made for and what year (or year range)?

i've searched through the other posts and the only thing i can find is a napa part number, but i called and it is for a tie rod end. maybe i need to cross-reference that somehow, or maybe it's the same thing, i don't know.

any help here would be greatly appreciated.

BadA$$440
08-22-2002, 10:07 AM
I think they come off a VolksWagonbut i could be wrong

NJ300ex
08-22-2002, 12:24 PM
The lonestar balljoints are a tie rod end from a ford van. I am not sure if Houser uses those ball joints though, or they are all the same?

I am sure if you call up Houser 1 ball joint won't set you back much.

Razorback
08-22-2002, 12:29 PM
i believe houser uses the lonestar ball joints, so they are the same thing. it's not really a matter of money, rather time. i was wanting to get a new one for this weekend. i called houser and they didn't know which vehicle would work, but she said it would cost $25 for shipping one ball joint overnight, so i had to pass on that.

do you happen to know which ford van the tie rod end is for? like model and year (approx.)?

thanks for the help, both of you.

boogiechile
08-22-2002, 08:23 PM
The ball joints are tie rod ends for automotive use. If you have a napa # that is a tie rod end it is likely that it is the right part. check it out at the napa store and see.

Razorback
08-22-2002, 08:33 PM
that all makes sense now. i appreciate the help. i'll check tomorrow and report on my findings. i know other people have asked about this before...