PDA

View Full Version : short jets?

drchoicey
07-30-2006, 08:32 PM
hi
does any one know the difference
between the long keihin pilot jet and the short one?
we got jets from the dealer and they were a good 1/4 inch
longer than the stock jets(05 r +04 400ex)
can they be used in the stock carbs ?
anybody know where to get "short ones"?
thanx
the doctor

Over-land 450r
07-30-2006, 09:17 PM
it is ok to run the longer ones

GPracer2500
07-30-2006, 10:15 PM
The long ones are Series 21 pilots. The short ones are Series 26. If the stock carb uses the shorter S26 then you can usually use the longer S21 with no ill affects as long as there are no clearence issues in the float bowl. I wouldn't recommend trying to use a S26 if a S21 is what the carb actually calls for.

drchoicey
07-30-2006, 11:54 PM
thanx
but are the new jets similar by the numbers
i wanted to go up one size on both quads
the new 50 i bought for the r had air bleed holes so much
larger than the stock"48s" i was afraid it would turn out
leaner.Do you know, is 50 pilot still richer than a 48s?
Do you know where i can get short pilots?

GPracer2500
07-31-2006, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by drchoicey
thanx
but are the new jets similar by the numbers
i wanted to go up one size on both quads
the new 50 i bought for the r had air bleed holes so much
larger than the stock"48s" i was afraid it would turn out
leaner.Do you know, is 50 pilot still richer than a 48s?
Do you know where i can get short pilots?

The "Series" of a Keihin pilot jet is independent of the size (e.g. 45, 48, 50, 52, etc.). A 48 Series 21 is going to meter the same amount of fuel as a 48 Series 26. The emucification holes are different on your stock pilot jet because it is an "S" jet. Some stock jets are labeled as "S" jets and the only difference (in the case of pilots) is the size of the emucification holes. I don't care for "S" jets as I believe the difference is emissions related--NOT performance related. In other words, Honda specs a slightly different pilot than a standard Keihin pilot for emissions purposes. That is not a fact, it is my belief.

If you want stock "S" style Series 26 jets you'll have to get them from Honda. I know some of the "S" jet part numbers but not for the size rages you're looking for. You'll have to find a VERY competent Honda parts guy to find you those part numbers. Most are gonna look at you funny and say "S what? Series what?". lol

I wouldn't bother with the "S" pilots though. Just get standard Keihin pilots in the sizes you need. If the Series 21 style are easier to find (usually the case) and they don't interfere with anything in the float chamber (S21 are fine in a 400EX carb, I'd bet they're fine in the 04/05 450r carb too) than just use those--no worries. If you want to use S26 than just tell whomever you're getting jets from that you need a Keihin Series 26 pilot jet in XX size.

drchoicey
07-31-2006, 01:06 AM
thank you,sir