PDA

View Full Version : how to conince your parents to let you race?

Hondaexboy
07-30-2006, 06:46 PM
hey,
I need some help trying to get my parents to let me race. I keep asking them just to let me race in a few local things or anything but they keep saying no.:mad: how did some you guys get you r parents to let yourace,...they keep saying that im gonna get hurt and stuff, and wont pay for anything

any advice would be great thanks,
-josh

JRP
07-30-2006, 06:48 PM
that was the same thing with my dad, but i got him to watch me ride some at my house and he saw over time how much better i was doing, so he said it was ok for me to race. I havent started yet since im not 16, but in 40 some days i will have my 1st race. lol

250ex13
07-30-2006, 06:49 PM
get a job and do good in shcool

Mxjunkie
07-30-2006, 06:50 PM
Mine stopped supporting racing once I hit 13 cause I fussed up in school, I'm 16 now and I asked pop's if I got a job if he would let me go out and try one year of racing, he told me if I paid for everything for 1 season and made top 5 in point's he would look into a trailer...

I know it suck's working if your still in school but you gotta pay to play :p

JRP
07-30-2006, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by 250ex13
get a job and do good in shcool

true that, i pay for all of my parts and gas. I dont have a job, but i find ways to help out other ppl in my hood, and they pay me. And if you show ur parents that u get good grades and try hard, i belive they will let u race.

MX MaNiAc 06
07-30-2006, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by JRP
that was the same thing with my dad, but i got him to watch me ride some at my house and he saw over time how much better i was doing, so he said it was ok for me to race. I havent started yet since im not 16, but in 40 some days i will have my 1st race. lol

Same here. I had pops make me some jumps n made him watch me, which was even harder lol But once he saw i know what im doing he gave in to let me race. I was supposed to race then it got cancelled cuz of rain. But hes willing to take me next weekend.

wolffie
07-30-2006, 07:34 PM
dont whine. just get a job, save up some green, and work on your riding.

im almost 17, and am a pretty good student. i wanted to ride this summer, but my parents wanted me to bank some cash. as much as i wanted to, i knew they were right. i now have more than a couple thousand saved up to pay for my gas and car bills, and should be primed to race next season.;) just work hard and things are bound to go your way.

07-30-2006, 08:34 PM
What kind of racing you want to do?

Nick shupe
07-30-2006, 09:20 PM
I told my dad I was running a harescrable at Budds Creek but when he got there and seen that I signed up for motocross he got all pissed off. I just told him he's not going to stand in the way of something that I really want no matter if I had to get a job and do it without his support I was still going to do it. I have his full support today and sometimes think he loves it more then I do. He's very serious about my racing now

redlineranger
07-30-2006, 09:40 PM
i told my dad my plans were to get a job and sell my 300ex to get a 450 and he said go for it. i got that part done, and said now my plans are to race. i want you to come out to the track and be involved and all cus you'll really enjoy it. he said thats fine and dandy but if you tear it up dont forget that that's ur 4wheeler and i didnt help u buy it. and i deffinately aint helpin u fix it when its broke. he also told me that if i get hurt bad the 4wheeler goes, so i have to be very cautious when i ride. and then i keep my grades up, and do as much as i can around the house so he wont have to cus he works hard at his job.

but yea man just dont bother them about it to much if they keep saying no, because that'll put the icing on the cake and u can forget about it then. just do good in school, show them you'll ride smart and safe, and stuff like that.

quadrcr161
07-30-2006, 10:24 PM
mine pretty much made the descision for me. when i was 12 i had a old trx125 4 wheeler and an old xr80. well i was trying to trail ride with a couple of older guys, and i couldnt keep up. we were at the local cycle shop and stumbled across a 3 month old blaster with a full fmf exhaust, well him not knowing much about them, and me either we saw a small atv with shocks and oly 200cc's.

well he said if i sold the motorcycles and 4 wheeler he would help me on the rest for my bday. well the same day i sold the xr80 and the parts bike, a week later i had the 125 sold and we went to pick up the blaster. once we got it home and playing around with it dad found out it was a little peppier then he though and feared about me riding trails alone, and trying to keep up with the older guys. remember this is in 92, and the only source of info is dealerships and dirt wheels, and you cant trust either. well after a day of riding, we loaded up and drove 2 hours or more north to a local round track and watched them race, a week or so later i was on the track for the 1st time. well we lowered it, built it up, and ran it all year, and sold it, that winter we picked up a 250r.

now im 27, raced all over, and they still come out to the races to watch and support. he enjoys riding the utes around the yard, and any new race quad i bring home. his friends, and almost every other adult asked my parrents why they choose to put me on the track, and they said it was safer, and it kept me out of trouble. on friday nights instead of going out, drinking i was at home putting the finishing touches to the quad for the saturday night. instead of wasting time at the mall i was saving up for new tires and rims and other parts. instead of riding out in the middle of nowhere alone and not knowing if some one was comming over the hill or if something happening noone know where i was at we were at a national with the rest of the atv family that was there and having a blast.

it was a lot different now then it was back then, i actually miss the smallness of the nationals.

Hondaexboy
07-31-2006, 09:31 AM
thanks guys,...my dad said that hes gonna build me a couple of jumps in a few weeks so Im gonna have him watch me ride and then see what he thinks from there

redlineranger
07-31-2006, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Hondaexboy
thanks guys,...my dad said that hes gonna build me a couple of jumps in a few weeks so Im gonna have him watch me ride and then see what he thinks from there

good deal, thats the first step to achieving what you want. if you have any buddies that have sport quads or w/e, you should get them to come over and just have like a small race. if you had a couple quads doin it with you, your dad could see how you'd be in a race(with traffic all around you etc.)

YFZ450Ridr
07-31-2006, 10:03 AM
i got a job and pay for my phone bill, car insurance, truck payments, 4 wheeler payments, and buy most of my parts now so my parents figured with me doing all that it would be alright to let me race.

Plus, my dad rides with us and hes pretty decent for 46, and slowly over the years ive been exceeding him, so he knows that i can do good.

KWAD GAWD
07-31-2006, 11:43 AM
Don't race, you'll get hurt.

400 SS EX
07-31-2006, 12:04 PM
Depending how old you are. I'm almost 18 and since all my races are on Saturday nights and they take the whole night, I just helped them realize it would keep me from drinking and partying on Sat. nights. If that doesn't work drive home really f***cked up one Saturday night and say that if you would have been racing you wouldn't have been drinking or driving, haha I 'm just kidding drinking and driving isn't cool. But mention something like that and I also pointed out to them how many of my friends that play football have had knee surgery or broken arms, fingers, etc. And when they think about it , its not that much more dangerous than most contact sports. ----- But you can definitely get hurt worse racing. But I feel the chance isn't worth not racing. I know my theories here sound stupid and outrageous, but it worked for me. ---------- I don't want any B.S. response about the joke I made driving home trashed on a SAt. night. I t was a joke.

juanki
07-31-2006, 01:11 PM
just remember racing is not only jumping, its an important part, but here is much involving in racing, like quad control, turns, lane choices etc.
if you want your parents to know that you are serious about racing, start doing the necesary training, i.e. jogging, gym etc. and let your partens notice that.

and like everbody else says, be a good kid, good grades and responsable one. good luck

Warnerade
07-31-2006, 03:31 PM
i just got home from work one friday evening and told my parents i was going to race tonite, i'll be home late...

"be careful"

and that was that