PDA

View Full Version : build a 416ex...maybe stroked. need info on crank

-copyguy-
07-30-2006, 11:57 AM
Ok, so I'm looking to get some more power out of my 2000 400ex. I'd like to go with a 416 for now. I'm trying to decide whether to do it as a stroker though. I can't find any place that tells me exactly all the parts that I need to do the project. I know I'll want to do piston(wiseco), cam (stage1 probably), crank(?), studs(HD) and gaskets(cometic), but I don't know where to go to get info on them to decide exactly what I want? I know I'll have to go to a full exhaust setup to take advantage of it too.

I was thinking of asking Colby for ideas on parts, but I don't want to bug him with it since I may not be doing it for a few months...and I'd like to have some idea on cost before I send him a request too.

The problem is getting info on the stroker cranks. Who makes them and where can I get more info? Also, can you use a piston designed for a stroker crank without the stroker crank...so that the crank could be added later without having to buy another piston.

I want to do the best I can on it, but $ is a factor in how many mods get done.

Thanks

Wheelie
07-30-2006, 01:14 PM
I'm running the setup you're inquiring about---440 stroker. 87x74-- stock is 85x70.

I went w/powrolls kit. Check out www.powroll.com. Excellent customer service and craftsmanship. I would recommend spending the extra money on an HD rod. Also, go with a stage 3 hotcam instead of a stage one. Mine w/the stage 3 has far more low end than stock and pulls hard to the stock 9100 RPM rev limiter.

I'm running a stock carb/headpipe w/a slip-on. I outrun my buddies 05' 450R w/full exhaust/filter/modded lid/1 tooth down on front sprocket. My setup is faster in a drag and on top end.

You won't regret it, it's a killer setup.

-copyguy-
07-30-2006, 04:12 PM
go with a stage 3 hotcam

Is the stage 3 their Stroker cam? I can only find Stage 1, Stage 2 and Stroker on hotcams site.

Wheelie
07-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Sorry, yeah it's the stroker cam, I've got a bad habit of calling it the stage 3.

FYI--I noticed you're running a 13 tooth, step up the gearing w/a new combo IMO. The stroker will be able to pull tall gearing w/ease.

-copyguy-
07-30-2006, 05:09 PM
yeah...the gearing will definitely change...but for now, a stock engine with a 275# rider doesn't do hill climbs very well. :cool:

-copyguy-
07-30-2006, 08:44 PM
ok, so I did a lot of lookin around at sites. It seems that the wiseco stroker "kit" comes with an 89 piston. So, can I just get their +4 stroker crank and get an 87 piston from them for a stroker? Still just want to do a 416 stroked to 440, not a 440 stroked to 460(?)

Anyone else got someplace to recommend for a good stroker setup?

Thanks!

Wheelie
07-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Check out www.powroll.com

They have the exact setup you're looking for. Also, they use a custom JE piston.

bansheexcracer2
07-30-2006, 11:38 PM
I am putting this same motor in my 400 when i get it. A guy I ride with has it and he can pull all the 450's. He still has the stock carb and air filter. The 416 is plenty of motor and aloght more reliable than the 440.

-copyguy-
07-31-2006, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Wheelie
Check out www.powroll.com

Thanks Wheelie. I did check them out yesterday. I just want to see all that is available before I do it. Also, powroll modifies your crank instead of you buying a new one from them...at least that's the only option I found on their site. The Hotrods +4 crank costs the same and you get to keep your crank.

eldercyclerep
07-31-2006, 07:13 PM
i had my 400ex built to a stroked 440 by powroll and i love it. I had my stock crank modified by them and they did a excellent job. I would Highly reccomend them.