PDA

View Full Version : WB e-series question

Kevin_ACR
07-30-2006, 11:21 AM
Hey, this is my first post. I have an 06 400ex and I just bought a white brothers e-seires slip on and air filter. I installed it and it sounds great. However I went riding yesterday and mud gets packed inbetween the disks pretty bad only after one ride. Its hard to clean out because I do not want water going into the pipe/packing.

Would buying a quiet core and running without the disks be extremely loud, or does the quiet core only work with the disks? Im guessing performance would go down too? I like the idea of the disks but in the summer when its really wet I dont want to have to get out a tooth brush or something to clean the little fins every time I ride.

Thank you

troutman561
07-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Just take the disks out for now.. its a bit louder but actually sounds better IMO..

bigbearkid4x4
07-30-2006, 04:00 PM
yea if you dont like the discs take them off and just run the elliptical endcap. it sounds good IMO and i dont t hink its much louder than with the discs. itll be around the sound of a HMF or Yoshimura

Kevin_ACR
07-30-2006, 04:59 PM
In the instructions/advertisment it has a quiet core that you can buy. Does this only work with the disks or does this work without the sparkarrester/disks? Thanks

miller821
07-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Are the discs tight enough? I know on mine I don't have that problem at all. But you can run it w/o for a while, I did that to mine and it was really loud but really good... I hear you need back pressure though, so do at your own risk.

bigbearkid4x4
07-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by ride hard man
Are the discs tight enough? I know on mine I don't have that problem at all. But you can run it w/o for a while, I did that to mine and it was really loud but really good... I hear you need back pressure though, so do at your own risk.

i understand what ur sayin but think about a HMF or Yoshimura or lrd or sparks. they are basically the same as a WB e-series with no discs with the open core. IMO youll be 100% fine running no discs just check ur jetting

miller821
07-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by bigbearkid4x4
i understand what ur sayin but think about a HMF or Yoshimura or lrd or sparks. they are basically the same as a WB e-series with no discs with the open core. IMO youll be 100% fine running no discs just check ur jetting

Yea, I'm not sure its just something that I heard if your running wide open it may hurt the piston rings a little... But I'm not sure who I heard from, or if its true (Which I doubt it is).

TRXNIGHTRIDER
07-30-2006, 07:18 PM
my friend ran it without the discs for about a week and it blew the piston rings and smoked like crazy. luckey it was still under warrenty

miller821
07-30-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by TRXNIGHTRIDER
my friend ran it without the discs for about a week and it blew the piston rings and smoked like crazy. luckey it was still under warrenty

I ran mine like that and I just got done having to rebuild it:ermm:

I know i'm running the discs this time just to be safe.

bigbearkid4x4
07-30-2006, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by TRXNIGHTRIDER

maybe cuz he was running lean cuz when u take the discs off it has more flow but if its jetted right there should be no probs at all with this. look at a HMF the core is probably a tad bigger than the WB and noone ive heard of has problems with them. if it caused the quad ot blow up they wouldnt sell it IMO

400exrider0004
07-30-2006, 10:13 PM
you can take the discs out and put a cover on the end of it to make it look nice. It does sound better and gives you better top end I believe. Its a very nice pipe.

Josh

ridfastorbelast
08-05-2006, 10:10 PM
so is less disc u put on more top end youll get? or more dics u put more top end youll have im just curious...... my friend ran his Wb with no disc and was burning oil like crazy.... so he put them back on

400eXr1d3rZ
08-05-2006, 10:25 PM
No the less disks, the less noise, the more bottom, more disks, the louder, more top.

ridfastorbelast
08-06-2006, 09:22 AM
i bought my pipe used.. and i think there dics missing can u buy some at a store... cuz i only 6 or 7 dics on my pipe... or is that the most u can put?

thx alot

okbeast
08-06-2006, 09:34 AM
No you should have 12 discs. I ended up taking mine all off because I'm looking for more flow.

ridfastorbelast
08-06-2006, 10:10 AM
so i cant buy them off a dealer's magasine...

400exrider0004
08-06-2006, 10:52 AM
you can get them directly from WB. Its kinda confusing, the more discs you have(with sparky) or if you have no discs(open end) the more top end. The less discs(with sparky) then more bottom.

SandShark400
08-06-2006, 04:09 PM
if only someone had some dyno results to prove or disprove this theory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

miller821
08-06-2006, 04:41 PM
You can put like 15 discs in there if you wanted to. I'm running 8 on mine, but it just depends on how you like it.

jokester
08-07-2006, 05:12 PM
I used to run the e series on my other quad, and I always ran it with all of the all of the discs in just like white bros said to do if you want the best all around power, and it always ran awsome for me, and I know exactly what you mean about the mud getting in between the discs, so what I would do is i would just turn on the quad and get a pressure washer and blow all of the mud out, and that way it will blow almost all of the water out before it even gets a chance to settle down into the packing.

ridfastorbelast
09-19-2006, 08:49 AM
hey i would like to know if a W-B pipe will fit on a dvx

09-19-2006, 09:07 AM
By running streight through you might need to rejet and it will be about 99-100dbs. You only gain porformance on moded motors by running that way but i ran like that and it did sound better and reved faster.

If you bring it to a shop to get the motor fixed they will blaim all your motor troubles on the pipe cause you removed the disks. Every time i brought my quad to the shop to get worked on they always tole me to put the disks back on the pipe cause it is hurting the motor and only helps a moded motor. Only fact they said was that it only helps moded motors.

09-19-2006, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by ridfastorbelast
hey i would like to know if a W-B pipe will fit on a dvx

Yeah but a 400ex pipe wont fit it. I seen z400's with the e pipe and other white bros pipes so if they fit on the z then they will fit on the DVX and KLX.

09-19-2006, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by SandShark400
if only someone had some dyno results to prove or disprove this theory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's true. Thats how disk systems work.

09-19-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by ride hard man
Yea, I'm not sure its just something that I heard if your running wide open it may hurt the piston rings a little... But I'm not sure who I heard from, or if its true (Which I doubt it is).

Cant really hurt the rings. Rings are on the sides of the piston and they wear out from friction. The higher rpm you tend to run at will determin the life of your rings cause the higher rpm the more the piston goes up and down. Thats why 2 strokes go through top ends faster cause they need to be reved and make mainly top end power so you have to keep it reving. The piston should be ok running like that.

Alot of people dont rejet when adding a pipe cause it's said you dont have to. Only way you wouldn't really have to rejet is if you are running rich or lean from the factory and the pipe could help cure it.

I went from running 12 disks on my 400ex to no disks and made the pipe 5 inches shorter than stock and the plug was still nice and tan.

PismoLocal
09-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by slow
If you bring it to a shop to get the motor fixed they will blaim all your motor troubles on the pipe cause you removed the disks. Every time i brought my quad to the shop to get worked on they always tole me to put the disks back on the pipe cause it is hurting the motor and only helps a moded motor. Only fact they said was that it only helps moded motors.

The amount of disks you run in your exhaust wether its all of em or none with no spark arrestor has nothing to do with reliability its all in the jetting.

As far as the back pressure thing goes you could run just your head pipe and not have to worry about blowing rings or frying valves because of back pressure.

09-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
The amount of disks you run in your exhaust wether its all of em or none with no spark arrestor has nothing to do with reliability its all in the jetting.

As far as the back pressure thing goes you could run just your head pipe and not have to worry about blowing rings or frying valves because of back pressure.

Yeah. Every time i went ot get my quad fixed they tole me to put my muffler back to how it was. Then I modded it into a shorty and they finaly stopped telling me to put my muffler back the way it was. Almost every time i brought it in to get fixxed it eather had a differant muffler or it was modded and finally they said they didn't want to fix it no more and its cause im not running the right muffler. Shops tend to blaim every thing on aftermarket/modded pipes. Even if you add a pipe on a quad it will void the factory woranty.
The thing i wonder is the quads that come with pure or gytr pipes if them quads come with a woranty.
Slip ons dont help a hole lot with back pressure. Stock pipes have the most back pressure along with disk systems. other pipes are streigh through flow almost holding no back pressure.

Honda#4
09-19-2006, 10:57 AM
you can run up to 18 discs on the e-series then the core can't handle it somthing like that.

09-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Honda#4
you can run up to 18 discs on the e-series then the core can't handle it somthing like that.

If you add to many disks the pipe might get to long making it catch the ground before the grab bar catches.
Shorter pipes look nicer.

I hatted cleaning my disks. Some times they would get clogged with carbon so i would have to clean em all and it took for ever.

miller821
09-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by slow
Cant really hurt the rings. Rings are on the sides of the piston and they wear out from friction. The higher rpm you tend to run at will determin the life of your rings cause the higher rpm the more the piston goes up and down. Thats why 2 strokes go through top ends faster cause they need to be reved and make mainly top end power so you have to keep it reving. The piston should be ok running like that.

Alot of people dont rejet when adding a pipe cause it's said you dont have to. Only way you wouldn't really have to rejet is if you are running rich or lean from the factory and the pipe could help cure it.

I went from running 12 disks on my 400ex to no disks and made the pipe 5 inches shorter than stock and the plug was still nice and tan.

Your probably right, but after rebuildin I don't really feel like takin another chance though I liked it much better when it was wide open. I did/do have it rejeted to a 155, but I never did check the plug.

ridfastorbelast
09-19-2006, 05:56 PM
so an ex pipe wont fit for a dvx... it look's similar.. it jsut my friend want to buy my pipe for his dvx.. he's trying it on tomorow but i hope it fit for him.. thansk i jsut wanted to know

09-20-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by ridfastorbelast
so an ex pipe wont fit for a dvx... it look's similar.. it jsut my friend want to buy my pipe for his dvx.. he's trying it on tomorow but i hope it fit for him.. thansk i jsut wanted to know

I dont know? You can rig it to fit. the mid pipe might not match up to the header. If it dont you need to make a sleave to stop the pipe from leaking. The mouning point might be off and you might have to shorten the pipe or make a new mount on the frame.
I tryed to get a 400ex pipe on a raptor660 and the mid pipe was the same width as the header so we needed to make a thing that would go around were the mid pipe hooked up to the header to stop it from leaking. The mounting location was off so we used a hose clamp. So if you want it to fit right you will have to make a new mount.

Chin_Chilla
09-20-2006, 09:51 AM
I used to have a FMF MegaMax ll full exhaust, which is basically the same thing as the White Bros. E-Series with different names, and I ran that without any discs or quite core, just straight through flow, and never gave me any problems. Felt like it pulled harder and revved higher without them. I used it like that for maybe 6 months? No problems whatsoever.