PDA

View Full Version : 90 wont start after running out of gas

ATKnewbie
07-30-2006, 10:53 AM
My son's Unison 90 ran out of gas last week.
After filling it back up, it will not start.
It will not even sputter.
I have verified that I have spark and gas is making it to the carb.
The only thing I can think of is that something made it through the gas filter and is stuck in the carb.

Any ideas?

LT80
07-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Maybe clean the carb. :)

SCR PRODUCTS
07-30-2006, 09:17 PM
if you have spark and gas check your compression, and if thats ok check the woodrif key on your mag. you might try a little shot of gas with a seringe into the carb. then if all is good check for the cranck seals. then if no luck get the 44mag.

ATKnewbie
07-31-2006, 07:43 PM
I have to admit that I am not a 2-stroke mechanic, this is my first.
Where is the Woodrif key and how do you check it?

SCR PRODUCTS
07-31-2006, 11:05 PM
the woodrif key is the half moon key on your crank shaft and mag. this is located directly under the fan on your rh side of the motor. you have to take the mag off to get to it. what happens is the key will shear and throw off the timing but will still give spark to the plug.

LT80
08-01-2006, 07:12 AM
So cleaning the carb didn't work?
In 10 years of mini motor building, I've not seen the key on the flywheel go bad. Sorry..

markvette
08-01-2006, 03:55 PM
do what jack said. you could try and start it a few times then pull the plug. if its dry you aint getting no gas.

Mark

Arctic Cat Dad
08-01-2006, 06:39 PM
I'd clean out the carb. Just a suggestion. I always run a small inline fuel filter in both his mini's. You can get them at your local bike shop. There very cheap and they keep this problem from happening.

Valder
08-01-2006, 09:04 PM
I'll have to look but my Uni Desert Cat 90 I do believe does have a fuel filter. I have had ours run dry on us a couple of times (kid plays with the valve and sticks it on reserve) and have had no ill effects so far.

Where is that wood to knock on??

ATKnewbie
08-04-2006, 07:10 PM
I have been busy this week and have not had a chance to touch it, hoping tonight or tomorrow to take a look and clean the carb.
It does have an inline fuel filter which has been changed, so that is not the issue.

ATKnewbie
08-05-2006, 10:45 AM
It is running!
Quick carb cleaning and it is back to life.
Another quick question though, I have not been able to find a spark plug for this quad.
The one that came in it is an NGK BR8HSA.
When I called Hetrick for replacements they sent me B8HS plugs.
It does run with these new plugs in it, but less bottom end.
The B8HS plugs have a much shorter electrode than the BR8HSA plugs, not sure if this would be an issue???

Valder
08-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Check ebay...I'll try to dig up the guy I bought mine from there. I think I paid $20 for a box of 10.

Edit: Found it. http://stores.ebay.com/Parts-Store

badvox
08-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by ATKnewbie
It is running!
Quick carb cleaning and it is back to life.
Another quick question though, I have not been able to find a spark plug for this quad.
The one that came in it is an NGK BR8HSA.
When I called Hetrick for replacements they sent me B8HS plugs.
It does run with these new plugs in it, but less bottom end.
The B8HS plugs have a much shorter electrode than the BR8HSA plugs, not sure if this would be an issue???

I have some my fellow atk bretheren!!! PM me your address.

LT80
08-06-2006, 05:50 AM
BR8HIX Iridium plug.
I'm thinking that your ignition doesn't have the power to fire the BR8HS. The Iridium plug is made to fire easyer.
The resistor part is what is different. There is no more non resistor plugs.
Be ready, prolly $12. for the plug but it'll last forever.

ATKnewbie
08-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Thanks for all the help.

This made me spend the time to install the chain tensioner and clutch kit I had bought from Hentrick about a month ago.
The chain tensioner went on like nothing, the threaded bolt hole for the old skid plate was in the right location and thread.
What are the chances...

On the other hand, the clutch kit is a project.
I got the rollers installed in the front of the clutch without issue.
I cannot get the nut off the rear clutch cover to allow me to replace the springs.
What is the secret?

etondaddy
08-06-2006, 06:03 PM
I use my 1/2 air impact gun and a I belive 1 1/2 socket I tap it on.The size is really metric. My buddy Kevin has the right socket but mine works. Hold the gun down and hit the trigger, let it up slow. Then after you install the springs hold it down with two hands and have someone start the nut, my nut is still stuck in my socket. I use a screwdriver with a notch cut in the end to get the little springs. After the first time you'll be a pro. LOL good luck.

ATKnewbie
08-12-2006, 02:35 AM
I did get the clutch kit in after some work and a second set of hands.
What a difference!
Thanks for all the help.