PDA

View Full Version : Overheating KFX/ coolant leak

jonboy
07-29-2006, 11:22 PM
I have a 2004 KFX 400 and it started to get hot quickly, the fan keeps coming on and off if I ride it for more than 10min. but when I park it I've noticed coolant leaking from the water pump housing. I know the 05 models have problems with the magnesium cover but did i get a late 04 model with the mag cover? has anyone else seen this problem? Could it be a bad impeller?any help would be appreciated

quadsport_rider
08-01-2006, 07:02 AM
hey there jonboy...
i had the same prblem on my z-400...so i just tok off the impeller cover and i looked at the seal that goes around the inside of the cover and it was ripped and was causin it to leak also so i bought a new coolant pump seal for like.....wat was it 6.00$...and i was back on the track...

IrideMHSC
08-01-2006, 08:08 AM
Impeller could also be the culprit... my 03 z-400 smoked a impeller and wasnt moving the coolant and caused it to overheat/lose coolant.... i would check that and like the other guy said the seal

jonboy
08-01-2006, 10:24 PM
What exactly did it do to the impeller? Did it snap in half or something like that? What did it cost to replace, and was it very labor intensive? I would really like to get this thing fixed so i can go ride.:confused:

IrideMHSC
08-02-2006, 09:30 AM
The impeller is a post with like 6 or 8 fins comming off it... i dunno what caused it to happen but all the fins were chewed off and it was worn down to a little nub that wouldnt move coolant.... a pro design billet impeller was like 78 dollar after tax and shipping and as for the labor part... the best thing to do would be get a parts breakdown picture off the net or out of the service manual and look at it... its not reall hard took me like an hour i think

jonboy
08-02-2006, 11:55 AM
Cool! Thanks for all the good info and quick feedback. It goes to show that there are good people in the world still.:D

IrideMHSC
08-02-2006, 02:37 PM
lol no problem glad i could help out

pual0101
08-18-2006, 09:12 AM
had an 04 KFX with the same problem, it was the seal

jonboy
08-18-2006, 05:29 PM
Well needless to say I got my repair manual and took the cover off. I found that the impeller did in fact break, and so I ordered the one from pro design, as well as a new mechanical seal and impeller seal and also the impeller cover seal. Might as well replace it while it is apart with all new stuff, right. It will be a couple of days before I get the parts but Im glad no coolant got into the case. I cant wait to get it going my wife loves to ride to and she's ready to go also. Plus we have have a poker run coming up for a charitable scholership program. :D

IrideMHSC
08-18-2006, 06:26 PM
Well hey im glad to know you got her all apart and back in tip top shape... if you ever have anymore questions dont be afraid to ask Ill help ya anyway i can

jonboy
08-18-2006, 10:49 PM
Yeah, Thank you very much. I really do appreciate the help. I've had my fair share of situations also. So if there is something I can help YOU with please ask. Thats the sole reason I joined this forum was to hopefully find out what to do and maybe help others too. It has worked out great so far. Thanks again! :cool:

jonboy
08-31-2006, 09:18 PM
Well, I finally got it all back together with the pro design impeller put in and all new seals. Put in some Engine Ice, and it works like a champ. It feels great to get back on it again. To bad now I go back to work on weekend nights:( Oh well in two weeks when I'm off on the weekend I'll be all over it!:D

IrideMHSC
09-01-2006, 08:07 AM
Yea theres nothin like havin a huge break on your quad then just beein able to get out and gas all over it. its gotta be the best feeling ever.