PDA

View Full Version : 05 raptor 660 knocking noise

stang65pony
07-29-2006, 09:53 PM
I got my bike back from the shop today. I put it in there because I noticed a ticking/knocking coming from the engine. the guy checked it out. checked the cam area out (new cam) and everything seemed fine. he listened around different parts of the engine and him and his father (another tech) determined it was coming from below the head. his dad said that it was called a "piston slap" or something like that. that bikes, after a good bit of hours are on them, the lower flanges of the piston sort of "hit" the sleeve or something, im not sure, I am rather mechanically inclined. but it is annoying me and I feel like something is broken. if anyone knows about this or has experience it themselves please let me know. thanks

redrider9045
07-30-2006, 06:59 AM
The piston slap can just be your cylinder is worn out or your rings are worn out. Also you could have a crank bearing problem but those guys at the shop should have fixed that

DieselBoy
07-30-2006, 12:19 PM
you need to remove the jug, have it bored, and get a new piston, rings, wristpin, circlips....then you should be good to go (if it's what they say it is).

A 2005 660 shouldn't be knocking, though. How many hours on it?

stang65pony
07-31-2006, 04:59 PM
well idk how many hours. i dont really keep track, but i ride the living s#!+ out of it. not really hard riding just often. and i drag sometimes. would putting a big bore kit in it make it less relaible?

firefighterjosh
08-01-2006, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by stang65pony
well idk how many hours. i dont really keep track, but i ride the living s#!+ out of it. not really hard riding just often. and i drag sometimes. would putting a big bore kit in it make it less relaible?

Piston slap is not good. Rebuilt your quad before something bad happends. It depends what kind of Big Bore kit you get.

DieselBoy
08-01-2006, 01:43 PM
are you sure your cam chain isn't slapping?

08-01-2006, 04:10 PM
try to fix the cheep stuff b4 you go get a big bore b/c it could be a $50 part.

stang65pony
08-01-2006, 11:06 PM
ok so what should i do? should i tear into it (by that i mean have someone tear into it because i am mechanically inclined), ride it out, or believe it is piston slap and replace the needed parts? the ride it out part was a joke

firefighterjosh
08-01-2006, 11:25 PM
I would take it to someone you trust have them tear it down and rebuild it. If you have the cash why not do it. Even if its just the chain adjustment. Why its a part you might as well rebuild it since someone has already said it piston slap Sounds like you have beat the hell out of it.

stang65pony
08-02-2006, 11:44 PM
well i do ride it hard. well should i go ahead and get the big bore kit? will it make my bike less reliable?

firefighterjosh
08-07-2006, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by stang65pony
well i do ride it hard. well should i go ahead and get the big bore kit? will it make my bike less reliable?

Depends what kind of big bore kit you get. Try to get ahold of some engine builders not sure how you would do that.

When I wanted a new engine for my banshee I just posted a thread. I need an engine builder. I got tons of responses