PDA

View Full Version : How far can u ride a wheelie?

B450r
07-29-2006, 09:42 PM
i really just started on ridin a wheelie today...

i started out n first gear and and went to 2nd and almost went to 3rd but i let out on it......

Tell me how far u can get...
Pictures would be cool to......

THANX

Chris S.
07-29-2006, 09:56 PM
At the dunes if the sand is smooth I will ride them as far as I got room. I will even ride them all the way up sand dunes. I never ride on the roads but I would guess I could ride one until I run out of gas or veer off the road, which would likely happen first. I can pull a wheelie in any gear even in the sand. I like riding second gear wheelies up the sand dunes the best and jumping off the top of the dune from a wheelie. I will be at silver lake on Aug. 8-9. I will try to get some video and pictures. We always take a camera but always get to rapped up in the riding to get it out and take turns filming.

Flodies400ex
07-29-2006, 10:02 PM
I can ride a wheelie with the 400ex a long ways all the way to 4th gear but with my 450ER I am still trying keep it steady so not that far lol

JKWGA400EX
07-29-2006, 10:22 PM
it all depends on how ure air presure is,and little things like that have to be perfect for it to work right(on highway).the only place i do wheelies is on blacktop/pavement.ive gone almost 5th gear pinned,and then i either lose it or go off the road or somethin.it took me about almost a week to learn to dod them pretty good.but i cant ride slow ones good,the 450r is wayyy to snappy.

-jared

TMSmx47
07-30-2006, 05:38 AM
400ex is best for wheelies.. i could do them till I run her outta fuel.. best way though is like everybody to start learning.. foot in the rear grab bar and the other on the rear brake. She starts to come over on ya, just give it a tap. For the rest of you that go off the road, keep about 3-5lbs of air in the tires, learn how to stand up from a sittin position, once you start to veer off, stand to the opposite side and lean your weight. She'll steer right back over like your on a bike. You should be able to go a couple miles once you learn to turn.. and trust me! You CAN turn, and pretty sharp to. Dont lean to hard, you'll get the feeling. Then you'll start passin cars!

B450r
07-30-2006, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Chris S.
At the dunes if the sand is smooth I will ride them as far as I got room. I will even ride them all the way up sand dunes. I never ride on the roads but I would guess I could ride one until I run out of gas or veer off the road, which would likely happen first. I can pull a wheelie in any gear even in the sand. I like riding second gear wheelies up the sand dunes the best and jumping off the top of the dune from a wheelie. I will be at silver lake on Aug. 8-9. I will try to get some video and pictures. We always take a camera but always get to rapped up in the riding to get it out and take turns filming.

i dont ride in sand cuz i heard that its bad for a 4 wheeler.....
but is it easier to ride a wheelie in sand or dirt......i ride in dirt.....
yeah i would like to see sum pictures or videos if u get a chance......
THANX

B450r
07-30-2006, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by JKWGA400EX
it all depends on how ure air presure is,and little things like that have to be perfect for it to work right(on highway).the only place i do wheelies is on blacktop/pavement.ive gone almost 5th gear pinned,and then i either lose it or go off the road or somethin.it took me about almost a week to learn to dod them pretty good.but i cant ride slow ones good,the 450r is wayyy to snappy.

-jared

it does depend on the air pressure like you said cuz you'll start woblin left to right.......
i run 5psi in rear and 4.5psi in front.....
wht kind of tires you got....street tires....cuz if u dont u want have tires for long.........

tltcracing
07-30-2006, 09:28 AM
look in the video section of the site. there should be a 400ex wheele video where he rides one for what looks like half a mile or more.

Chris S.
07-30-2006, 11:11 AM
Riding in sand isn't bad for your quad if you keep it clean and maintained. Riding in sand can be easier to wheelie if the sand is smooth. The reason for my opinion is that the sand gives both tires even traction, so you always have both rear tires doing the same thing. Some times in dirt when you pull a wheelie the quad veers one way or the other and that is caused from one tire getting traction and the other slipping. In sand I never or rarely expierence that. I also ride with sand tires. When the sand is rutted up it does make it alot more difficult because of all the bouncing around. My previous quad was a 400ex and that was what I learned on, yes the 450r is trickier at first but seems just as easy as the 400ex after some time.

Nick shupe
07-30-2006, 07:24 PM
I love riding wheele's :D I'll go until I run out of pavement I mean dirt.

joaquin
07-30-2006, 07:40 PM
the lt-r 450 is a great quad to do wheelies. Where i mostly do wheelies is on the dunes or in cloudcroft. I can do them on 1st and 2nd gear and I am working on doing them slow and long. :)

IOWAracer
07-30-2006, 10:03 PM
I resently switched to the YFZ and its alot easier to ride wheelies i can ride them till i wanna stop and at about 70 miles an hour on the roads its alot of fun i love the new quad!! I was on a 450R too...

firefighterjosh
07-30-2006, 10:07 PM
I have a friend who went 7 miles 5th gear on his 450r. There is another person on this site who can back me up on this.

JKWGA400EX
07-30-2006, 10:22 PM
b450r,i have kenda's(in signiture).im gonna try that stering thing for sure.that guy musta been tired after 7 miles?by the way
whats the world record?

-jared

firefighterjosh
07-30-2006, 10:47 PM
If you find a balance point it is very easy to do a fast long wheelie. You can stick your leg out from one side to the other to steer the quad going down the road. And yes this is legal, we checked. We are registered and the cop said a wheelie isn't illegal long as your in control.

trx450jason
07-30-2006, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
I have a friend who went 7 miles 5th gear on his 450r. There is another person on this site who can back me up on this.

i believe you i could wheelie for half a mile no problem before i bent my axle..its just being able to have enough room

†2005 400ex†
07-30-2006, 10:59 PM
im still workin on riding out a wheelie,i can pop it up for a couple seconds but thats about it, im workin on it though:macho

firefighterjosh
07-30-2006, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by trx450jason
i believe you i could wheelie for half a mile no problem before i bent my axle..its just being able to have enough room

How did you bend a axle doing a wheelie?

procircuit406ex
07-30-2006, 11:37 PM
i think hes sayin he bent it like on a jump or somethin

trx450jason
07-30-2006, 11:51 PM
yeah haha i wrecked a step up a while ago..its not bent too bad just enough that i cant keep a wheelie in a staight line

firefighterjosh
07-30-2006, 11:54 PM
IC IC duh I had to read it again.

MR.BIG
07-31-2006, 09:21 AM
I can ride a wheelie from first to fifth and never let the front wheels touch the ground. A big hayfield is the best so you don't have to worry about where you are going.

450rJam
07-31-2006, 10:30 AM
It helps me turn if I lean and turn the front tires the direction I want to go. I cant turn very sharp but I can go from one side of the road to the other and back.
It may be in my head but I think the tires catch air and help push the quad from side to side, 4th and 5th work best.

trx450jason
07-31-2006, 10:38 AM
Seems like it to if you ask me..if your going 50 miles an hour they when you turn you tired they have to be catching some air..either that or its just leaning that does it but i could usually get back in the middle or a road this way if i started to drift

JKWGA400EX
07-31-2006, 11:30 AM
firefighterjosh u said u were regestered?what did u have to do to get that?u did mean u can drive on the road legally,right?

-jared

coalson
07-31-2006, 02:43 PM
I can ride slow wheelies for a long time. When i say slow i mean stay in 1 or 2 and just balance but long wheelies im still workn on

firefighterjosh
07-31-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by JKWGA400EX
firefighterjosh u said u were regestered?what did u have to do to get that?u did mean u can drive on the road legally,right?

-jared

I had to go to the indiana DNR web site. I don't know what the laws are in texas but here in indiana you pay $30 for 3 years and you can ride down all "back" roads (No highway or city). You don't need any lights. Except at dark you need a headlight and tail light.

yamablaster24
07-31-2006, 10:33 PM
like most have said i too can find the balance point of the quad. Longest i have ridden a wheelie was maybe 500 feet in a field until i ran out of room. Yea they are easy now once you can find the balance point and can go as long as you can give it gas and tap the brake. I have a video of me doing a 1st gear one handed wheelie on my stock 400ex going just fast enough to stop stalling. I also do remember pulling in the clutch in a wheelie...coasting...tappin the brake and balancing while free wheeling then letting the clutch out and keep going. -

B450r
08-01-2006, 02:10 PM
i heard that the yfz 450 has a small balancing point......

is that true....

bsjoe
08-01-2006, 02:30 PM
this is embarrasing to say, but i got a yfz450 nd am still working on wheeling. I pop the clutch nd it starts going up so my reflex or what ever you call it is to let off the throttle. I havent gotten more then 3 feet with it on two wheels :( I've only ridden it 3 days now (only can ride one day every weekend it seems)

B450r
08-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by bsjoe
this is embarrasing to say, but i got a yfz450 nd am still working on wheeling. I pop the clutch nd it starts going up so my reflex or what ever you call it is to let off the throttle. I havent gotten more then 3 feet with it on two wheels :( I've only ridden it 3 days now (only can ride one day every weekend it seems)

Thats all right, when i started out ridin everytime i would go up to do a wheelie i would let go of the throttle cuz i didnt want to flip over.....

keep tryin....youll get it......

GoldenGloves
08-01-2006, 08:58 PM
I just bought my first Quad (stock 400ex), and I've only tried to wheelie 2 different times, from sitting down (not putting my leg on the seat for balance (I think its cheating)) I can only wheelie from the beginning of first to the middle of second and then the front end drops, I think I might have to slide my weight backwards in order to keep it balanced and go farther.. Practice makes perfect I guess

B450r
08-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by GoldenGloves
I just bought my first Quad (stock 400ex), and I've only tried to wheelie 2 different times, from sitting down (not putting my leg on the seat for balance (I think its cheating)) I can only wheelie from the beginning of first to the middle of second and then the front end drops, I think I might have to slide my weight backwards in order to keep it balanced and go farther.. Practice makes perfect I guess

i dont do that cheap crap like putting my foot on the grab bar like u said.....its not really ridin a wheelie.......i think u have less control that way........

keep ur weight on the rear of the quad.......

Chris S.
08-02-2006, 07:48 PM
When first learing, try to just bring the front end up with throttle instead of popping clutch. Popping the clutch kind of brings it up alittle jerky, unless you have really got the hang of doing it that way. The smoother and slower you bring it up, the easier it will be to the hold the front end at the balance point. Feeling that balance point is most important thing. Think of yourself in a rocking chair and pull in the clutch and shift gears at the highest point of the balance point and that will keep you from having to really gas it in the next gear. Learing to use the back brake it is very important and should be the first thing to practice. Pop a wheelie and hit the rear brake to get the feel for what it does and how the quad reacts. Go out to a open area and do it over and over until it becomes a natural reaction. It will make it alot safer and help you steady your wheelies. Learning to ride wheelies is alot of fun and after you start riding a few good ones you will be hooked and riding wheelies everywhere and they will just keep getting better.

B450r
08-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Chris S.
When first learing, try to just bring the front end up with throttle instead of popping clutch. Popping the clutch kind of brings it up alittle jerky, unless you have really got the hang of doing it that way. The smoother and slower you bring it up, the easier it will be to the hold the front end at the balance point. Feeling that balance point is most important thing. Think of yourself in a rocking chair and pull in the clutch and shift gears at the highest point of the balance point and that will keep you from having to really gas it in the next gear. Learing to use the back brake it is very important and should be the first thing to practice. Pop a wheelie and hit the rear brake to get the feel for what it does and how the quad reacts. Go out to a open area and do it over and over until it becomes a natural reaction. It will make it alot safer and help you steady your wheelies. Learning to ride wheelies is alot of fun and after you start riding a few good ones you will be hooked and riding wheelies everywhere and they will just keep getting better.

i dont ever pop the clutch when ridin a wheelie cuz it could cum back on you.....if ur not fast enugh for the back brake......