PDA

View Full Version : Smoking new top end

DieselBoy
07-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Okay, I rebuilt my top end all in spec, new bore/piston/rings/gaskets, you name it. It was smoking before, and now with only 5 minutes on it, if you give it a good rev it blows oil, I'm kind of frustrated and confused at the same time. Is this normal for a not-broken in engine? (5 mins max.) I took it for a ride and she was puffin a bit... I'm not sure if it's from the oil that was in the tank or that something's wrong, or whether I'm just being nuts. I never hear about this sort of thing. Everything during the build went very well. It's not an excessive amount, more of a whitish blue. Oh, and it only occurs at a mid/high-rev.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Floorit
07-29-2006, 08:41 PM
it's going to take awhile for the rings to seat. Give it some time and break it in as if it was brand new. Go easy for a bit....should go away as long as you did everything right ;)

atvn
07-29-2006, 08:44 PM
It sounds like your rings are not seated yet. You will need to give it some more time to allow the rings to seat try to stay away from the RPM range where it blows the smoke. Also avoid long constant RPM rides. If you vary the rmps and stay away from the top end where it is pushing oil by the rings it should be ok with another 5 hours or so of riding.

DieselBoy
07-29-2006, 09:07 PM
ok, thanks. Can anybody verify whether or not smoking at this early stage is normal, or abnormal? I'm going to take it for a ride next weekend and see. thanks for your opinions, if you have additional opinions or suggestions don't hesitate to post them.

DieselBoy
07-30-2006, 12:15 PM
bump

GPracer2500
07-30-2006, 01:39 PM
Tell us more about the ring installation.

-Were the ring gaps set/verified?
-Were the gaps staggered as they should be?
-Was the top ring "T" mark oriented facing upwards?
-Were the ends of the oil control ring spacer butted together (and not overlaped)?

Does the smoking occur under acceleration or under deceleration? I ask this because if it's only smoking under decel than it may not be a ring issue but a valve guide issue.

I'm not sure what's happening but it doesn't strike me as being normal [shrug]. But, if the smoking condition goes away soon than perhaps the rings just need more time to seat? I'd prolly just continue to ride it and see what happens. Don't be too shy about using the throttle--the rings need high cylinder pressures to properly seat.

Good luck and let us know what happens...

DieselBoy
07-30-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Tell us more about the ring installation.

-Were the ring gaps set/verified?
-Were the gaps staggered as they should be?
-Was the top ring "T" mark oriented facing upwards?
-Were the ends of the oil control ring spacer butted together (and not overlaped)?

Does the smoking occur under acceleration or under deceleration? I ask this because if it's only smoking under decel than it may not be a ring issue but a valve guide issue.

I'm not sure what's happening but it doesn't strike me as being normal [shrug]. But, if the smoking condition goes away soon than perhaps the rings just need more time to seat? I'd prolly just continue to ride it and see what happens. Don't be too shy about using the throttle--the rings need high cylinder pressures to properly seat.

Good luck and let us know what happens...

-Were the ring gaps set/verified? - by the machine shop...
-Were the gaps staggered as they should be? - yes...
-Was the top ring "T" mark oriented facing upwards? - yes...
-Were the ends of the oil control ring spacer butted together (and not overlaped)? - im almost positive they were butted together, and not overlapped....

DieselBoy
07-30-2006, 02:15 PM
i don't know what could have gone wrong... i'm baffled. i figured since the rings are not set it's very possible for blowby to occur at higher rpms due to them not being "set" yet...

It won't smoke alot, and it's only when you get on it good that this occurs. maybe it just needs to burn off the oil that got put in the cylinder, or the rings need to set... im just not sure.

this motor's really pissing me off though.

DieselBoy
07-30-2006, 03:02 PM
oh, and issue occurs when you punch it... i don't think it's valve seals...:chinese:

Mx_523
07-30-2006, 03:32 PM
The only thing I could think of is that the rings havn't seated or the rings weren't installed right or may of moved when the pistion/rings were being installed into the bore. Just brake it in carefully, then see if it smokes.

DieselBoy
07-30-2006, 03:45 PM
rings were also stagered as needed.

Aceman
07-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Just run it until it's been fully broke in. There's no reason to stress until the rings are completely seated. Just keep checking the oil and fill if necessary. If it's still smoking after you've ran a few tanks through it, then it's time to start worrying. But until then, just let it go.;)