PDA

View Full Version : best powerplant

nicktrx400ex
07-29-2006, 08:10 PM
wat would be the best power plant for a rhino type vehical i want a like motor cycle motor but cant deside id like to have a crotch rocket motor bu id have to gear it down a little in all the gears but im shure a harley would be a good one also s any sugestions will be taken the vehical is going to weigh a bout 2,000 lbs im guessing so it will need to be able to pul it its like a rhino but better

nicktrx400ex
07-29-2006, 08:15 PM
heres a drawing of wat i want it to look like
with like 35in truck tires

idontknowwhoiam
07-30-2006, 04:22 PM
2000 pounds and 35s?....a 350 v8?:p

Toadz400
07-31-2006, 02:13 AM
Looks like a Jeep.

2000 lbs is a lot of weight for a motorcycle engine to pull. A crotch rocket engine definately would be out of the question as they don't make very much torque, it's mostly high-revving horsepower. Maybe if you geared it down, de-bored it and then stroked it it might be a decent engine for what you're looking for. Other than that idea I'd try a small car engine. Try looking for an older Subaru 1.8L. They're great little engines that make some good power and are very simple to work on.

1ride2for-god
07-31-2006, 04:13 PM
Ya, a small car engine would be good. It woulnd probly be quite a bit esier to install too. Just one qustion, "WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH THAT THING" I mean Jeez leweez! It looks like it's going to be like over 20,000 grand to get it like you want it! I dunno, I think it might be cheaper to just get a jeep. I think your crazy man, God bless you.:eek2:

GPracer2500
07-31-2006, 04:41 PM
Reminds me of a Suzuki Samurai:

http://www.projectsamurai.com/images/newSamurai2.jpg

omega27
07-31-2006, 08:01 PM
I would say go with a 1300cc Suzuki motor (hayabusa) or a 1400cc Kawasaki motor (new ninja) that would be sweet:D would take alot of work and money but i think it would be cool. but in my opinion the price would be waaaaaaayy out of hand. What do you need that much power in a side by side for anyway.

Happy riding!

p.s. would like to see an afterward pic that isnt made in "Paint".:p

Toadz400
07-31-2006, 11:08 PM
I think if you're really serious about this, a motorcycle engine is out of the question. A small car engine would be ideal for this as it's made for hauling that kind of weight around anyway and that design would just put way too much stress on a cycle engine even if you built it up.

I seriously think until you're older with more experience and money you should just buy yourself a Jeep or that Suzuki Samurai and have fun with that.

bwamos
08-01-2006, 07:21 AM
Motorcycle tranny will not withstand the added weight or the 35" tires.

If you want a small motor with good torque for really cheap... look at an old Volkswagen Rabbit Desiel motor. ;) @ 2000lbs, an VW buggy motor would work well also.

krt400ex
08-01-2006, 11:23 AM
i would go with a Honda Goldwing 1800.

those motors have lots of torque off the bottom and they sound cool

ak_stick
08-01-2006, 06:49 PM
lots of toque, for a motor cycle.... but not for a 2000 suv

Toadz400
08-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by ak_stick
lots of toque, for a motor cycle.... but not for a 2000 suv

Exactly. Go with a small car engine. Subaru or Volkswagen would be a good choice.

EXevan91
08-01-2006, 07:41 PM
WELL buy a car lol find a geo tracker thats what u want.

and as for the gold wing its a v-6 so... but i wount ruin a good bike expectionly a busa...

ak_stick
08-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by EXevan91
WELL buy a car lol find a geo tracker thats what u want.

and as for the gold wing its a v-6 so... but i wount ruin a good bike expectionly a busa...

Yeah, its a V-6 but its made to drive a bike. That engine just isn't built to move a vehicle of that size and mass, with the kind of traction a 2000 lb vehicle with 35 in tires on. A single tire will have a contact patch almost as large as the entire rear wheel of a goldwing.

He wants a jeep. Just in a smaller package.

stuntjake7
08-03-2006, 03:19 AM
A motorcycle engine is possible just not probible. I have seen supercharged and turbod busa and ninjas put out amazing ft/lb not to mention HP. If you were to do this with motorcycle engine you would have to do what we did with our 8 foot staintless steal go cart. run a whole now tranny set up. we have a 750 gsxr egine on a custom build cart. to much money to do it agian though. thank god for work helping me out. and the race team. just go with the Sammy motor and you wont have any problems. make sure you run nothing higher then a 4.10 gear ratio. you could run a 600cc street bike engine if you gear it right. gearing and mechanics is everything in this prodject.

Toadz400
08-03-2006, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by stuntjake7
A motorcycle engine is possible just not probible. I have seen supercharged and turbod busa and ninjas put out amazing ft/lb not to mention HP. If you were to do this with motorcycle engine you would have to do what we did with our 8 foot staintless steal go cart. run a whole now tranny set up. we have a 750 gsxr egine on a custom build cart. to much money to do it agian though. thank god for work helping me out. and the race team. just go with the Sammy motor and you wont have any problems. make sure you run nothing higher then a 4.10 gear ratio. you could run a 600cc street bike engine if you gear it right. gearing and mechanics is everything in this prodject.

Yea that's the thing, you may have a motorcycle engine that puts out a lot of horsepower and ft/lbs but no matter what, that tranny isn't designed to pull/push around 2000lbs, or even 1000lbs for that matter. I believe it'd be much easier, cheaper, and more worthwhile to use a small car engine. They are only a little bit bigger than a motorcycle engine and are actually designed for this use.