PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! lugnuts fell off while riding and now this...

OH'S 400ex
07-29-2006, 04:05 PM
hope u can see this pic (http://community.webshots.com/photo/552668772/2830105620094896563BsOkpj)

not sure if the pic will work

but last weekend i was riding for about 2-3hrs when i got stuck in some serious mud. when i started to pull my self out i noticed that 2 of the lugnuts had fallen off the rear wheel. today i got 2 new lugnuts and while i was putting them on the washer looking piece (in the pic) fell out.

im pretty sure that i also put the lugnuts on the wrong way after reading some posts. on a stock rim the flat part is suppose to be facing outward right?

well this is my problem and im really pissed cause i have one day a week to go riding and this might screw it up. any help is greatly appreciated

-owen

Sjorge450R
07-29-2006, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by OH'S 400ex
hope u can see this pic (http://community.webshots.com/photo/552668772/2830105620094896563BsOkpj)

not sure if the pic will work

but last weekend i was riding for about 2-3hrs when i got stuck in some serious mud. when i started to pull my self out i noticed that 2 of the lugnuts had fallen off the rear wheel. today i got 2 new lugnuts and while i was putting them on the washer looking piece (in the pic) fell out.

im pretty sure that i also put the lugnuts on the wrong way after reading some posts. on a stock rim the flat part is suppose to be facing outward right?

well this is my problem and im really pissed cause i have one day a week to go riding and this might screw it up. any help is greatly appreciated

-owen

just put it back where its supposed to go and put the nut on. And yes, the flat side faces out (tapered in) on a stock wheel

OH'S 400ex
07-29-2006, 05:54 PM
thanks for the reply

ya thats what i did and it worked. i think i might need a new axle or bearing tho cause my quad has been doing wheelies that bend to the right.

anyone had this problem b4?

Sjorge450R
07-29-2006, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by OH'S 400ex
thanks for the reply

ya thats what i did and it worked. i think i might need a new axle or bearing tho cause my quad has been doing wheelies that bend to the right.

anyone had this problem b4?

try checking the air pressure in the tires and make sure its even.

OH'S 400ex
07-29-2006, 07:35 PM
ya ive done that and even tried to take some more out of my left tire to even it out but nothing worked

think im going to bring it to a local shop and see what they can do

stocktires
07-31-2006, 06:56 PM
NO NO NO!
Get a new wheel, TRUST ME. I've been there and almost hurt myself badly. Mine did the same and I put it back on thinking everything was ok. Before I knew it one day at the track my wheel flew off and traveled probably 50-60 feet. If that happened on a jump I would have went over the bars easily.
It happened again when I bought my old R. I didn't check the lugs and wheels and the first time I rode it my front wheel flew off in a turn.

OH'S 400ex
08-03-2006, 06:37 AM
ya i got lucky too when my lugnuts came off....i was riding through some thick mud and ended up getting stuck and thats when i noticed i was missing 2 lugnuts. could of been alot worse.

ya ive been thinking of getting new rims anyways cause my stock rims are pretty beat up.

so after u got new rims was the problem fixed?

bwamos
08-03-2006, 07:08 AM
Depends on how wallered out (gotta love technical terms) the hole got. It it's very close to the origional size you should be ok. If it got wallered out quite a bit you'll want a new rim.

Odds are the reason you're pulling left or right on a wheelie is because the 2 tires aren't a perfect match.

Even many of the high performance tire makers cant seem the get the tire carcases the same diameter.. lol.

You'd know it if your axle was bent. You'd be riding clown car style.

tltcracing
08-03-2006, 02:14 PM
do you wheelie with one foot on the grab bar and one on the peg? everytime i do that i pull my body too far to one side and it turns the quad.

OH'S 400ex
08-03-2006, 02:31 PM
i do wheelies like that sometimes but even if im doing a basic wheelie it still bends to the right.

when im "walking" the quad with a wheelie i can do a complete circle tho with a big enough parking lot, so it has its up side haha

but im really starting to get sick of it now and im ready to drop some money to get it fixed.

pnut420
08-07-2006, 12:52 PM
If its pulling to the right, try switching the tires, if it is different diameter then it should start pulling to the left after you switch.

Carrier bearing being bad is unlikely, a bent axle will do that put if you put your quad on a stand and run it would can easily see a bent axle.

For the frame being bent that pretty hard to do, and if you did you should see a weld or two that has flexed or cracked a bit. If you rolled it before chances are your subframe is bent for sure and that could make you weight transfer a little more to one side.

If you are running tires with 50% tread left, usually the tire that sees the most turning is going to wear down alot more than the other, I had stock 400ex tires and 1 was almost bald and the other still had 30%.

I could never get my 400ex to wheelie to straight, but I just made sure I had plenty of room side to side . The battery being on the left side doesnt help to much and you can relocate those in a aftermarket airbox that holds the battery as well. If your bending to the right though its not going to help that.

250xridamatt
08-09-2006, 08:23 PM
Having lugnuts fall off definately sucks, I know that much. I was going around a berm in 3rd gear, when my wheel flew off. Ill try to get a picture of how destroyed my beadlock is tomorrow.