PDA

View Full Version : Stock 400EX suspension is very stiff!!!

RobG
08-21-2002, 10:31 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the stock 400EX suspension is very stiff. When I got it, the rear shock was set to the factory setting and the fronts were on 4 (out of 5), which I think is also stock.

Since then I've softened the rear shock 1/4 turn on both rebound and compression and dropped the fronts to 2. That's helped a lot, but it still seems awfully rough.

By comparison, my friend's 98 Warrior is VERY plush, and my Grizzly is like a Cadillac.

The reason I bring this up is because I keeping seeing post about "Triple Rate" shocks and other mods you guys do for racing and I honestly wonder how you deal with it. This thing is so stiff that it seems virtually unridable on all but the smoothest of terrains. Even on the dunes as it is now, it's still very rough when crossing tracks made by other ATVs...

Thoughts?

Rob

Pappy
08-21-2002, 10:39 PM
i thought the same..so i went with works triplerates with rezzies. much better all the way around

Nausty
08-21-2002, 11:10 PM
they are single rates and and personally I thought they were super soft when your mx racing.

08-21-2002, 11:12 PM
Rob how much do you weigh?

I found the stk susp very soft and even had the orig rear revalved when it was rebuilt.

If your light (under like 160#) you may need to adjust the preload on the rear shock, and then reset your comp and rebound also.

But the stocker is not going to be as plush as the aftermarket no matter which brand you decide.

Juggalo
08-21-2002, 11:35 PM
rob i think is used to the plush supsension of his utulity. personally i think the stock shocks are really soft. if you just bought your quad brand new then the shocks need to be broken in still. they are really stiff for a while

08-23-2002, 10:05 PM
mine r fine, i need stiffer ones cuz i bottom out lot