PDA

View Full Version : Trx 90 engine mods

Big Red Menace
07-29-2006, 11:07 AM
I'm going to modify my sons 96 trx 90 from pee wee stock to peewee super stock. Rules say must retain stock cases and auto clutch, 4 strokes up to 125cc.
In my research I'm finding a lot of bolt on honda clone parts. Like these "ultra heads" from dr atv and 114cc aluminum cylinders from trail bikes. Anybody tried these products or similar stuff?
I know I could spend $2500 on a package from somebody but I'm a very capable mech/machinist and would like to save some $ doing it myself if others knew of some decent componets. Or better yet had somehave proven used stuff.

CAIN730
08-05-2006, 10:24 PM
In the long run you will be better off paying the $2500 now and your kid will instantly be on a fast bike. You will probably be able to eventually figure out how to make an engine run like the ones offered by the engine builders but you will loose a lot of races and spend alot of money getting there.

johnnie
08-21-2006, 04:25 PM
BEN THERE DONE THAT SPEND THE MONEY

08-27-2006, 09:23 PM
i just went through this last winter. check out beatrice cycle they have all stock & knock off honda parts that work great for a great price. we did a 114cc w/ a cam carb & intake for 450$;) and let me tell ya this little quad rips.

Big Red Menace
09-10-2006, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the input 911. I was hoping to get more input like yours saying what works and what doesn't. I'm trying to not break the bank on the engine so I can get quality chassis componets. I'm a believer that, that is where the speed is in mx, more than having a 20 hp engine. Perhaps having less hp than the others at first will make him a better rider too.

09-17-2006, 06:26 PM
i like the way you think;) my son raced w/ a stock engine last year but he had elkas and extended spacers. This made him run a lot harder to do well. Last winter we put in a 114 kit w/ cam, carb and ignition. this thing rips so we just updated the front end to dual a-arms w/ the diomond j customs kit. this is a must to go to the next level in mx:D good luck p.s. i pm'd you on a trick:macho

09-19-2006, 07:37 PM
just put on dbbl a-arms and let me tell ya......... this is a 700% dif.:D :D :D :D

Big Red Menace
10-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the tips 911. I installed the 114 kit with the mild TBQ cam from Dr Atv and settled in on a #94 main jet in the stock carb and what an improvement that made! Not a full blown race engine by no means but I blew it over backwards riding a wheelie.:D
What carb and ignition stuff did you use? I'm going to leave the stocker as is for now. I bought an engine off ebay and that's the one that's going to be totally gone through and heavily modded up. I've got a line on a fully done up national level chassis that if I can swing the jing I'm going to buy and install that engine in it.:devil:

10-09-2006, 09:40 AM
i went w/ a 22mm carb and matching intake but our engine is only a 114. so if you go w/ the full 125 i think a 24mm carb would work for you. as far as an ingnition i use a Robbsracing cdi. this not only extends the rev limmit but changes the timming for better bottom end. goood luck w/ your build, or should i say BUILDS:eek2: remember to be carefull........... it is very adictive:D