PDA

View Full Version : uh oh, now what??

Blue250X
07-29-2006, 10:55 AM
ok, so, i was adjusting my valves and im un screwing the valve cover bolts..and it snapped!! it snapped so i can get about a 1/4 inch of threads from the part of the bolt with the head in the threads. How can i get it out? thanks

bsjoe
07-29-2006, 11:03 AM
drill it out?

:(

Blue250X
07-29-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by bsjoe
drill it out?

:(

i would, but its pretty tight in there...anyone else?

DieselBoy
07-29-2006, 11:16 AM
Looks like you may need to take the valve cover off :chinese:

Blue250X
07-29-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
Looks like you may need to take the valve cover off :chinese:

the valve covers are off...?? how do i get the broken bolt out of there?

DieselBoy
07-29-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Blue250X
the valve covers are off...?? how do i get the broken bolt out of there?

No, not the inspection holes, the valve COVER. then, you can work it out of there if any threads are sticking out with vice grips, otherwise you may need to drill it out.

brapbrap13
07-29-2006, 11:28 AM
put some oil on it so it loosens up and then grab it with vice grips.

Blue250X
07-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
No, not the inspection holes, the valve COVER. then, you can work it out of there if any threads are sticking out with vice grips, otherwise you may need to drill it out.

OH!!! lol, hey, thats a good idea, but theres no threads sticking out, but i can drill it out...GOOD IDEA!! haha, thanks alot

DieselBoy
07-29-2006, 11:50 AM
try putting a flat screwdriver in there and see if you can back it out, too. Leave drilling it out as your last resource. and use a smaller bit to ensure you do not damage the rocker's threads.

nickmelll
07-29-2006, 12:11 PM
spray a little pb blaster on it then take a left handed drill bit to it and see if it and see if that works

Blue250X
07-29-2006, 12:20 PM
alright everyone, the cover is off:D haha, i love tearing into engines, i cant believe i didnt think of that...it was kinda obvious...anyways...im waiting till dad gets home, and ill see what he has in mind for it. Ill try the screwdriver thing right now.

Blue250X
07-29-2006, 02:02 PM
ok, screwdriver didnt work. any more ideas?

DieselBoy
07-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Hmmm.. it shouldn't be in there very tight. Soak it with WD-40. I've gotten bolts out with using the screwdriver method many times, however sometimes if their tight it won't be enough. Without visually seeing it, I don't know what to suggest at this point. I know there are kits you can buy to remove broken bolts, I just can't recall the name of it. Drilling it out may be your only other solution, but be careful!

GPracer2500
07-29-2006, 09:26 PM
I've had good luck using standard drill bits. Basically, you choose a small drill bit and drill a hole in the center of the broken bolt--it dosn't need to be all the way through. Then reverse the drill while applying a side-load to the drill bit (be careful--you don't want to break off the bit in the bolt!). Allow the drill to spin very slowly and the bit will often "grab" the bolt enough to back it out.

Variations on this method can include glueing a small rod (like a nail) into the hole you've drilled in the broken bolt. Allow the glue to set and then back out the bolt using the "extension". Or, after the hole is drilled, use a nail or even a small philips head screw driver to lightly snug into the hole.

The basic idea is you need to find a way to "grip" the broken bolt so you can back it out. When a hole is present in the center of the bolt then there are a whole bunch of ways to find that "grip".

An Easyout is a reverse drill bit that is designed to get you that grip.

Good luck!

orangeEX
07-30-2006, 07:47 AM
drill a small hole in the middle of it then go to a hardware store and buy a paddle bit for drilling a 1" hole in wood.
take a small hammer and tap the tip into the whole
then while lightly taping use a crescent wrench to thread the bolt out.

this is how i get exhaust studs that break off in the head.!!!
so i know it works. it always works

Blue250X
07-30-2006, 10:12 AM
alright everyone, thanks for all the ideas!! that sum b!tch it coming out, haha