PDA

View Full Version : spark enhancer worth the $$ ???

Quadster450
07-29-2006, 08:43 AM
anyone run one of those iCat spark enhancers? this is what their website says:

-- The iCat is a small electronic device that is inserted between the coil and spark plug. The iCat is not a simple capacitor that shortens the spark duration, but electronically alters the pulse from the coil, and as a result produces longer, more powerful spark.
-- Increases throttle response and torque under load.
-- Gives a cleaner more efficient burn and increases miles per gallon while reducing emissions.

i've got a buddy that has one on his yfz and he says it kicks a**

GPracer2500
07-29-2006, 10:45 AM
I've read lots of opinions on the I-Cat and those opinions tend to vary wildly. My assessment (having never tried one) is that there are many better ways to spend $200 on your quad...

Their performance claims strike me as dubious at best. They state, "...Unfortunately, a Dyno is NOT the way to test an iKat. The iKat provides the engine with a stronger and different shaped spark - it does not change the power characteristics of the engine more over it greatly enhances the power that is already available. A rolling start over a pre-measured distance will demonstrate that the iKat will give increased throttle response by getting you to the finish line in a shorter time (one test over 75 meters gave an improvement of 3k/hr which is a significant improvement!)..."

Unfortunate indeed--and also non-sensical. A dyno is a great tool for measuring time-to-speed and time-to-distance in a repeatable, controled environment. :ermm:

Quadster450
07-29-2006, 06:06 PM
it does sound like a good spin on their part for minimal gains...