PDA

View Full Version : Steering shaft bushing replacement

bakerboyz
08-21-2002, 09:36 PM
Anyone ever replace the steering shaft bushing. My old one was making noise. I had to hammer it out and the new on fits just as snug. Is this normal? I dont want to have to hammer it back in.

cdalejef
08-21-2002, 09:45 PM
Are you talking about the upper bushing or lower bearing?

bakerboyz
08-22-2002, 06:46 AM
Sorry, I ment the lower bearing.

250Xtreame
08-22-2002, 07:36 PM
I cant get that bearing out of my X for the life of me. How did you do it? I removed the dust seals, lower collar and c-clip, but now im stuck. Did the bearing hammer out of the top or bottom?

ryan

doctor_915
08-22-2002, 09:46 PM
Well now Ryan here is what you wanna do to get that thing out, first you want to go and get yourself a 15# sledge hammer and Smack it 4 times as hard as you can, and then twice easy. Then you go and get yourself some waterproof grease, spread that on all nice and into all the nooks and crannys like butter on an english muffin. Then you take a blow torch and heat the grease up causing a thermoreactive expansion, once the grease is heated up more than my dad when I told him mom had a special friend you smack it some more with that sledge hammer. Once you have it changed I reccommend putting solder around the dust seals to create a true dustless seal. After that you pour buttermilk on it to temper the fresh solder and fight off another chance of thermoreactive expansion. Now trust me buttermilk is much better to use than skim. Tell me how it works....

I'm not seriously that dumb just bored.

PS: My mom found my key in the pocket of my jeans when she washed em, thought you might have been looking for it....

L.Vegas400
08-23-2002, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by doctor_915
once the grease is heated up more than my dad when I told him mom had a special friend

lol:rolleyes: