PDA

View Full Version : New Tires & rims

YFZRB
07-29-2006, 06:07 AM
I bought the YFZ 11 weeks ago and have had 5 flats and bent both stock rims. Yesterday was the worst yet. Fifth gear hit a rut I usually go right over and it nearly sent me flying from the impact. Completely flattened 1 side of the stock rim and put a two finger size hole in the sidewall of the tire. :mad: What is a good rim/ tire combo to avoid flats? What tire pressure? Stock Yamaha suggested = 5 PSI I ride railway beds, trails and like to jump a lot.

All input appreciated!
Thanks

Pappy
07-29-2006, 06:10 AM
LOL...stock rims are ok but they are not indestructable. Rail beds are notorious for destroying equipment, maybe look into Hiper rims and some good sturdy tires.

md1985250r
07-29-2006, 06:20 AM
I got so tired of getting flats on the trails , I spent some major $$$ on beadlocks with GNCC treads and filled em up with TIREBALLS...no flats for a few months now. As a matter of fact I havent even poked a hole in one. Whole set up cost $1800. Money well spent.

YFZRB
07-29-2006, 06:21 AM
Thanks Pappy. I got your PM as well. Are stockers comparable to .190 rims? A friend says I should buy the bead locks.

Pappy
07-29-2006, 06:25 AM
If all out durability is the quest, look no further then Tireballs. I stated, when Tire balls first came out, that although expensive they would find their way to non racers for the simple fact noone likes flats! Do some checking however, as they do affect handling and I know some riders that reverted back to not running them because of the feel they give.

Stockers with a rolled edge are comparable to .190 rims. Neither is very strong and can be flat spotted easily. Burgard beadlocks are about the cheapest on the market if price is a concern, and it goes up from there.

YFZRB
07-29-2006, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the advice.
I will look into getting the tire balls.
I hope you and the boys get some time to ride this weekend.

Pappy
07-29-2006, 06:41 AM
Thanks! We are leaving shortly to head out for the weekend.:D

md1985250r
07-29-2006, 06:50 AM
I like the improved "cushion" the tireballs gave me, and the added piece of mind is priceless. The wife however, is still *****in about the $$$$.

YFZRB
07-30-2006, 06:22 AM
Thanks MD I'll start saving in secret! :devious: