PDA

View Full Version : Does ANYONE HAVE A TURBO KIT ON THERE 400

Sparky416ex
08-21-2002, 08:47 PM
Im thinkin seriously about getting one...how is reliablilty?...is there lag?...tell me a whole bunch of stuff

RED121572
08-22-2002, 08:01 PM
I can tell you that you will be 3 grand poorer.

Ive got an ole hairdryer that belonged to my Grandnational (bless its soul) sitting in my parents basement Ill sell ya.

Big - D Racing
08-22-2002, 08:19 PM
Expensive yes... LOng reliability no. It'll kill your engine fast 5 times faster than having a 440 kit.

08-22-2002, 08:34 PM
yeah but turbos are adjustable . you can run 15psi on race days and like 7psi on just fun ride days to not put so much stress on your engine. but i would reccommend a 440kit instead.

Sparky416ex
08-22-2002, 08:41 PM
OK well ill put a 426 in it and put a mild turbo in it...like my hair dryer lol

RED121572
08-23-2002, 06:09 AM
Nah, the larger the turbo the better. I can hook you up with a Stage 9 1250 CFM Turbo that can send a Turbo Regal through the quarter mile in 9 seconds and produces 800 HP! Yea, thats what you neeed, lol

Good luck with your project hoss. Let us know how things turn out for you.

RED

01 250exman
08-23-2002, 12:34 PM
but a turbo is safer on the motor than nos right.and whay is a turbo bad for the motor?

Scott
08-23-2002, 12:57 PM
Ok, here's why a turbo, blower, or Nitrous oxide is hard on an engine. A typical engine (car or quad) is normally aspirated, which means the fuel/air mixture is pulled into the cylinder by the vacuum created when the intake valve opens and the piston travels down the cylinder to the bottom of the stroke.

With a turbo/blower/nitrous, not only is the intake air/fuel charge no longer operating at a vacuum, it's pressurized to some psi of boost. That forces a much larger air/fuel charge into the cylinder, which then makes much higher pressures in the combustion chamber and cylinder when the engine comes up on the compression and power stroke. That puts much more stress on the piston, rings, wrist pin, crank, main bearings, valves, gaskets, and seals. That's why things wear out faster. You can also add in higher temps in the cylinder from the higher pressures during combustion. And it's easy to get the engine too lean since the blower/turbo/nitrous is adding the additional air and YOU have to figure out how much more fuel is needed.

Just my 2 cents.

RED121572
08-23-2002, 01:00 PM
NOS and Turbos put enormous stresses on an engine that wasnt ment for those two applications.

Im not a NOS expert, so I wont go there. But I do know a thing or two about turbos.

Turbos, (hairdryers) shove compressed air into the intake. As long as your able to add fuel to that air, you can develop more Horsepower.

Trust me when I say this, there is so much to the world of "Forced Induction" There is so much to learn. If one tinkers with a turbo or supercharger without doing ALOT of research, the end result will be very expensive lesson on what not to do.

Do a search on the internet about Turbochargers and also how intercoolers work in conjunction with them as well.

good luck!

GrounD PoundeR
08-23-2002, 01:11 PM
My question to you is why just put one on your quad? Grand National w/ twin pitbull turbo's is nice but a LS1 camaro with Quad turbos and still street legal pushing 1600 hp is awsome.

If you're he11 bent on getting a turbo for your quad you need to make sure your engine is prepped for it. Additional cooling would be ideal like the suzuki liquid cooled engine so you dont burn-up / warp anything. As for the turbo watch out for cheap ***** bearings..

Scott
08-23-2002, 01:23 PM
I don't think there are too many choices for turbos for a quad. Not too many on the market that I know of, actually I thought there was only 1 kit available. It would have to be a tiny turbo, the one for a BGN is feeding a 3.8L engine, you're talking about a 0.4L engine. That's not going to take many CFM.

08-23-2002, 01:35 PM
dont u need to have efi so u dont lean out the air to fuel ratio?
killer

RED121572
08-23-2002, 02:11 PM
Hey Scott!

Bigger is better! LOL LOL

...The GN turbo could work...maybe not. LOL

Quad turbos on an LS-1? Ive been out of drag racing too long.

Scott
08-26-2002, 06:13 AM
You don't have to have EFI to have a turbo, there's a turbo kit for the 400 and Shee and both of them have carbs.

GrounD PoundeR
08-26-2002, 12:35 PM
Quad turbos on an LS-1? Ive been out of drag racing too long.

That would be a waste of money. What I was refering to is a friend in Florida that has 4 turbos on his LS-1 camaro.

Just because someone makes something for your quad does not mean if wont damage your engine or need alot of follow-up maintenance every time you ride. Turbos can be abusive to your engines life. even if proper installed from over heating. This is why I mentioned a liquid cooled engine. Not to mention some way of cooling the turbo itself.

I would like to know how it works out for ya. Next week will talk about building a boss hog quad.:D

Scott
08-26-2002, 12:42 PM
How about a sidewinder 400EX? Works on street bikes. And I s'pose it's a little tamer than a boss hog quad, no blower.

GrounD PoundeR
08-26-2002, 01:03 PM
I was refering to a 350 c.i. engine. Like they do for street bikes. It was a joke. :D

The difference between alot of street bike and the 400 is they are liquid cooled, but hey thats just my opinion.

Sparky416ex
08-26-2002, 03:20 PM
yeah id put a pingry on it and make sure it was prepped

Scott
08-26-2002, 04:34 PM
Yeah I know ground pounder, the Boss Hog I saw had a blown 350 on it. 30 years ago guys started putting 350s in bike frames and drag racing them. They didn't have blowers on them and they called them sidewinders.

Leo
08-26-2002, 07:31 PM
ask Marty from the Quadshop about turbo kits...

he's got one on his Raptor :D

Leo

airheadedduner
08-26-2002, 11:53 PM
I think you have to run race gas or some higher octane fuel with a turbo. Forceing more air into the intake will cause your compression ratio to spike. With a quad there is not much turbo lag because most people that put turbos on them use a smaller one that does not require as much presure to turn over. I would just save your money and but in a well built 440 kit.

L.Vegas400
08-27-2002, 01:47 AM
i wonder if something could be conjered up as far as a small eletric motor on a small supercharger.:rolleyes: it would more work than its worth. or tie it into your front sprocket.

just rambling:blah

L.Vegas400
08-27-2002, 03:30 AM