PDA

View Full Version : hot wire 400 ex?

jredecop
07-28-2006, 04:08 PM
We want to go riding this weekend and I took my truck into the shop and left our keys in the ash tray, is there a simple way to get this thing started?

sburton1
07-28-2006, 04:11 PM
i too have wondered this cause i want to make a push button starter for my ex and eliminate the key but havent got arround to doing it or figureing it out.

Quad Dude
07-28-2006, 04:13 PM
if you must ride it just go under the hood pull the green wire and then you will have to push start it. at least thats what iv been told

07-28-2006, 04:14 PM
not sure if this will work on the 400ex but when i had my 300ex the 2 wire's going two the ignition unplug them from the ignition and plug them together. hope this helps

TRX_450
07-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by pimpin416ex
not sure if this will work on the 400ex but when i had my 300ex the 2 wire's going two the ignition unplug them from the ignition and plug them together. hope this helps

thats what i did today with my friends pocket bike and it started

bansheemorphine
07-28-2006, 05:44 PM
i think there is like 4 or 5 wires on the 400 it is not like the 300 there is a way to "hot wire" it but i am not sure how

brapbrap13
07-28-2006, 05:44 PM

i have always wondered if that wokred on teh 400ex, never looked at my key.

FutureRacer
07-28-2006, 06:00 PM
I probably shouldnt be telling you guys this, lol but since its for a good reason ill tell ya. Its kinda bad that i know how, but when parents ground you from ur wheeler and take the key, its fun to make them mad by hotwiring it and running it anyways.
OK, to the right of your rev box is your ignition box (or so thats what ive been calling it), unplug the box, there are three wires that go into a white box that is attatched to the frame, you will need to get a bare wire and stick it in the top two so that they are completing a circuit. Turn your lights on prior to attempting this so that you know if you have a good connection or not. The wire has to be pretty much perfect in order for it to work, otherwise it will act like u dont have ur wheeler turned to "run" by the start switch. When the headlights light up, you know you have a good connection. if the wire is thin enough, you can shove it in there using the other side of the box and then if you ever kill your bike it should start right up. I hope this helps.
Kelley

krt400ex
07-28-2006, 06:52 PM

thats funny, i tryied that with my 300 and 400 and it idn't work. u sure?? i wouldn't do it anyway, just makes it that muck easier for someone to steal. i know a guy that was a ble to start it with a paperclip. i don't know how he did it though

07-28-2006, 07:41 PM
ya i'm positive it works on all 300 cuz i did it to mine and 1 of my buddies has 1 and we allways steal his quad.:D

johnsls
07-28-2006, 08:34 PM
Heres what I found from and old old thread

GPracer2500
07-28-2006, 09:40 PM
I keep a little jumper like that in my tool wrap just incase a key is lost.

400sEXridr
07-29-2006, 11:32 AM
to the left of the battery there is a small cylinder shaped solenoid w/ 2 terminals on the top. remove the plastic cover and touch the 2 terminals together w/ a screwdriver and it will start.

gmccomas412
07-29-2006, 08:30 PM
one day i wa spayin in the mud with my play quad my lakota anmd clogged the start button i guess it just wouldnt work so i ran it on pull startin it all the time but then eventualy the pull cord broke so i went to my last option i took to wires anand connected one to the pos terminal and one to the neg terminal and i thern bought a pushbutton at the local autosop and conected it to that i didnh have the key but it worked great but oneday i left my keys in my truck wen i brought it to the shop similar to ur situation but i tried pushin the button for the hell of it and it started right upso u can try temperloraliy converting it to a push button til u get ur keys bac but it does make it ver easy to steal.

jredecop
07-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Man you guys are awesome, great forum. I haven't got a chance to try any of these (tomorrow I will) but thanks for all the help. Looks like jumping the two wires under the headlight area work good;) I figured it would be simple, just got to know the which wires, thanks again.

jokester
08-05-2006, 04:44 PM
or you can just take out your ignition fuse, and put a wire in there and then plug the fuse back in and run the wire straight to your battery, and then hit the start button, if you do it this way though, your lights will stay on the whole time its on, then just kit the kill switch to turn it off

jokester
08-05-2006, 05:23 PM
not sure if this works on the 400 though, I used to do it to one of my friends utility quads, so it could be totally different

armysig
08-05-2006, 11:56 PM
Not to be a jerk or anything, but take this info to PM's. My reason for saying this is my quad was stolen by guys that hotwired it. All your doing is giving a step by step instruction on how to do it.

Now you guys have just given a lot of people information on how to rip off someones quad. :ermm:

sburton1
08-06-2006, 12:35 AM
well its kind public knowledge sorry your quad got stolen but this is a forum and people do learn how to install push button starts and other stuff ect... witch is bacically the same thing. i guess how to HOT WIRE is not the best termonolagy but if some wants to stal your quad theyll get it onw way or another usually the just pick it up and roll it or man handle it into a truck. starting it up makes it kinda obvious. i know if i heard my quad start up id just grab the gun. noise isint a thiefs friend. that being said many people have been busted stealing getting info from fourms and have been linked to the forums and thats how they got caught. so if any ones being fish dont think you can hide behind a computer screen!

SET THE STAGE
08-06-2006, 07:12 AM
or you could do what i had to do on my blaster, since on the newer ones they upgraded the wiring system and you couldn't just plug the 2 wires together and start it up like that, i just took the back side off of my key ignition thinger and turned it from the inside so it made it seem like the key was turned but without actualling having the key in it, then i just taped the key ignition to the frame under my hood. i'm sure it'd probably work on a 400 as long as you do it right

SET THE STAGE
08-06-2006, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by armysig
Not to be a jerk or anything, but take this info to PM's. My reason for saying this is my quad was stolen by guys that hotwired it. All your doing is giving a step by step instruction on how to do it.

Now you guys have just given a lot of people information on how to rip off someones quad. :ermm:

i doubt a crappy key ignition setup is going to stop someone from taking your atv. it's not like they're going to ride it out of your yard or anything

rYan01400EX
08-15-2006, 09:50 PM
There's a white clip that is attached to the frame. Then, there's another clip that connects into it. There are 4 or 5 wires that run into the clip. There are 1 red and 1 black wire. Cut those and touch them together... She'll fire right up. Then run electrical tape around them to keep the connections from touching.

firefighterjosh
08-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by 400sEXridr
to the left of the battery there is a small cylinder shaped solenoid w/ 2 terminals on the top. remove the plastic cover and touch the 2 terminals together w/ a screwdriver and it will start.

Not without the key on

Built_300EX
12-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Ok, on the picture, you see the white plug that the ignition goes into? You can take a needle and put it through the red and black lines and it will start right up. Do not go through the black and white one, just the red and black on the inside of the plug. If you go on the top, you will get lights and starter but it will be as if your coil doesn't send a spark. I just had to do this to mine because I lost my key. Ordered a new keyswitch and didnt think to look if they changed them and ordered the wrong d*** one.

rubbersdown
12-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by SET THE STAGE
i doubt a crappy key ignition setup is going to stop someone from taking your atv. it's not like they're going to ride it out of your yard or anything
agreed, Its a 4 wire ignition, its not rocket science. Even if you didnt know which wires were which, everyone knows red is hot, green is ground. There is only 2 wires besides those, BL and BL/W. Putting HOT to one of those is going to start it. Any A hole who is going to try and hotwire a quad is going to know this. Literally less than 3 seconds of trial and error and the bikes running. ATV ignitions are like like padlocks. All they do is keep the honest people honest. Anyone who wants your bike is going to get it, one way or another.

DirtyBirdRacing
12-19-2010, 04:16 PM
When I started to take my EX apart i had to push it around the block to the other side of the garage with the plastics off, and the ignition unpluged just messing around i droped it in to gear... so as far as i can tell all you need to do it unplug the two wires and you should be able to catch it in gear. that or i did something else and didnt even relize.