PDA

View Full Version : Frame and rust question

Antifaith
07-27-2006, 09:06 PM
I'm taking my entire bike apart to get rid of all the rust and dirt that got in hard to reach area and to do some other maintenance. I polished a few parts with great results by following the guide posted in the how-to section.

However, my frame is very rusted and also half painted from the previous owner. I can get rid of the paint and the primer under it without any problem, but the rust is another problem. Sanding it all away is probably going to take me years and my fingers will be killing me. I tried some rust remover product i got from the store but it's not very effective, whatever it removes comes back a few days later.

So, is there anything i can remove rust from a frame efficiently, in order to get it ready for a powdercoating?

Pappy
07-27-2006, 09:08 PM
If your going to have it powdercoated, the prep work done by the coater will handle it.

NorCalRacer
07-27-2006, 09:09 PM
If you have an angle grinder there are wire wheels and sanding discs that will take that rust right off. If you don't maybe find a paint shop and take it to get sandblasted.

Antifaith
07-28-2006, 10:37 AM
Ok i bought a black&decker angle grinder today. It came with 3 "type27" metal grinding discs. I tried on a hard to see spot and it's way too harsh. What i should be using are sanding discs right?

NorCalRacer
07-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Yeah, you need the discs. I'm not sure on the numbers but I think the roughest I've used is 80 grit and you have to be careful with it, but it is fast. I'm sure you could find finer ones at the hardware store. Also, they sell wire wheels and cup brushes for the grinder, but wear HEAVY clothing if you us one because they launch little wire spears out as you use them. They are also a little slower on rust than a sanding disc. Good luck!

nosliw
07-29-2006, 10:25 PM
sanding by hand or tool is too time consuming and doesn't do any better of a job than a $15 sand blaster.

just got to find a place where it doesn't matter if it gets a little sandy.

and a good air compressor.

and sand.

....goggles..