View Full Version : won't start...yea yea search... i did

organiz3d_chaos
07-27-2006, 07:36 PM
06 450er, won't start...

Got full tank of gas...
Kill switch is in the center...
Engine IS turning over....
tried a new spark plug...
old on sparked but looked purpleish, not blue....

Bike was running "fine" and my dad killed going too slow over a hill and it wouldnt start again...When I went to check on it, they choke may or may not of been on....

Any ideas what happened?

4ABURN
07-27-2006, 08:34 PM
most likely flooded it. either let it sit.or hold it wide open for a few cranks on the starter. but don,t keep giving it gas or you will make it worse. and turn up idle alittle. :D

organiz3d_chaos
07-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by 4ABURN
most likely flooded it. either let it sit.or hold it wide open for a few cranks on the starter. but don,t keep giving it gas or you will make it worse. and turn up idle alittle. :D

Happened yesterday around 7:00.... 24 hours later still wouldn't start

ohsobad_chevy
07-28-2006, 08:56 AM
Gas on?
Pull the carb, clean it out real well.
Let us know.

organiz3d_chaos
07-28-2006, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
Gas on?
Pull the carb, clean it out real well.
Let us know.

yea gas is on....

well Stillwater Honda dealer are asses, won't buy anything from them...

My dad was talking to them, said it would be four weeks before they could even look at it... They take care of THEIR customers first... and they said Bartlesville sells damaged bikes and a bunch of other crap.

ohsobad_chevy
07-28-2006, 09:55 AM
HAHAHAHA..What a bunch of ********!!! I am clueless why it wont start...Does it make any weired sounds or anything?? Did you pull the carb yet and clean it all out, pull your pilot jet and make sure nothing is clogging it, check for spark as well. :)

07-28-2006, 10:02 AM
its your compression release. a friend of mine had the same thing happen to his. take it back to the dealer and have them fix it.

blakefoote
07-28-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by organiz3d_chaos
yea gas is on....

well Stillwater Honda dealer are asses, won't buy anything from them...

My dad was talking to them, said it would be four weeks before they could even look at it... They take care of THEIR customers first... and they said Bartlesville sells damaged bikes and a bunch of other crap.

can you hear your valves when it cranks? or can you hear anything clapping together?...i juss had to put all new valves and rebulid the starter on mine...and I have an 06'nd havent had it but only like 4 or 5 months...:ermm:

organiz3d_chaos
07-28-2006, 10:24 AM
Sound pretty much normal when I crank it... I've had the bike for a month now....

i hate those ********* at Stillwater Honda....

gonna have to drive 2 hours and 15 minutes one way...

ohsobad_chevy
07-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but a 450ER doesnt have a compression release, right?? I thought only the kickers did.

GPracer2500
07-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
Correct me if I am wrong, but a 450ER doesnt have a compression release, right?? I thought only the kickers did.

They both have an auto-decompression mechanism on the end of the cam.

jhoppa
07-28-2006, 11:32 AM
What might be wrong is this....

Some of the starting components are not strong enough for the 450r. Dealer told me if you give it ANY Throttle when starting the engine it has a tendancy to kickback/backfire and mess up the One-way sprag gear and bearing.

I just got mine back from Honda to fix the starting issue. Honda has a TSB out and will fix this under warranty. They said they have to replace about 20 parts in the tune of about $700. Dealer said they have done this repair on about 4 450r's right now. So far Honda does not have a fix.

Moral of the story---NO GAS WHEN STARTING...

ohsobad_chevy
07-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
They both have an auto-decompression mechanism on the end of the cam.
TY, Sir...I wasnt sure.

organiz3d_chaos
07-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by jhoppa
What might be wrong is this....

Some of the starting components are not strong enough for the 450r. Dealer told me if you give it ANY Throttle when starting the engine it has a tendancy to kickback/backfire and mess up the One-way sprag gear and bearing.

I just got mine back from Honda to fix the starting issue. Honda has a TSB out and will fix this under warranty. They said they have to replace about 20 parts in the tune of about $700. Dealer said they have done this repair on about 4 450r's right now. So far Honda does not have a fix.

Moral of the story---NO GAS WHEN STARTING...

never have given it gas when starting...

and if starter was out, It wouldn't turn over the engine

jhoppa
07-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Like I said, what might be wrong with it....

I said "starting components," starter still turns over, makes a little different noise.

Good luck

quadwunner
07-28-2006, 12:21 PM
You might Talk to the guys at aardmore honda. Im not sure how far og a drive that is for you but it may be worth it.

organiz3d_chaos
07-28-2006, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by jhoppa
Like I said, what might be wrong with it....

I said "starting components," starter still turns over, makes a little different noise.

Good luck

engine is clearly turning over..... feel pressure out of the exhaust when try to start it

Flodies400ex
07-28-2006, 12:57 PM
the starter is gone because i just got my brand new 450ER and they said if you push on the gas when are trying to get it started it will ruin the starter and maybe the gears. It is located where the kick start use to be and i would take it in because I am very sure that it is the starter is out.

organiz3d_chaos
07-28-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Flodies400ex
the starter is gone because i just got my brand new 450ER and they said if you push on the gas when are trying to get it started it will ruin the starter and maybe the gears. It is located where the kick start use to be and i would take it in because I am very sure that it is the starter is out.

I DID NOT ever give it gas while starting it

and HOW is the starter out if it turns the engine over just as it was when it was starting!?!?!??!?!?!?!:huh :huh :huh :huh :huh

Flodies400ex
07-28-2006, 06:20 PM
It was just a suggestion that it could be it but i would just call some dealer and explain what happened ok dude

BSTURDIVANT
07-30-2006, 09:03 AM
Probably the throttle override switch- 1 in the carb and 1 in the throttle housing. take the throttle cover off and make sure the lever is pushing in the microswitch. Have someone hold the switch in and start! If it cures the problem, splice the wires together by trimming the insulation and twisting together,seal the splice with rtv, let dry and retape! This eliminates future problems! Too many safety switches on new quads!

honduh440
07-30-2006, 09:53 PM
i have a 05 one day it just died while i was wide open throttle. all i had was a pipe and air filter. i couldnt get it to start back up at all so i took it in to JH racing and he said the motor was fine so we just put a new 13.1 piston and hot cam in then it worked fine.

07-31-2006, 09:53 AM
lol
was that sarcasm?

so, if my motor dies, I should just go out an buy a 13:1 piston and cam. no more worries.

organiz3d_chaos
07-31-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by honduh440
i have a 05 one day it just died while i was wide open throttle. all i had was a pipe and air filter. i couldnt get it to start back up at all so i took it in to JH racing and he said the motor was fine so we just put a new 13.1 piston and hot cam in then it worked fine.

Well now, that sounds like perfect solution

08-01-2006, 08:27 PM
not for the faint at heart but, any time i needed to know wether something had engine or carb problems i would take off the air filter and spray a LITTLE starter fluid into the carb w' the throtle open.. if it fires u know its the carb... if not check to see if u have spark, good luck;)

organiz3d_chaos
08-04-2006, 08:36 AM
My dad talked to the honda of Stillwater owner. He told him to bring it in. He said the mechanic is gone this week but him and his dad will look at it and any thing major will have to wait for the mechanic. He listened too it and thinks its a valve, I will post again when we know for sure

fatkid400
08-04-2006, 04:34 PM
I have a guess....Have them look at the carb,If the flat side carb sticks open the tps on the 06's will either kill the engine or prevent it from starting to keep from blowing up the motor.If yur pops roled it hard enough the slide might have got stuck and thus your bike wont start;)

organiz3d_chaos
08-04-2006, 11:23 PM
they said they looked at the valves and they are fine... they are thinking maybe it jumped time...

QuadRacer041
08-05-2006, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by BSTURDIVANT
Probably the throttle override switch- 1 in the carb and 1 in the throttle housing. take the throttle cover off and make sure the lever is pushing in the microswitch. Have someone hold the switch in and start! If it cures the problem, splice the wires together by trimming the insulation and twisting together,seal the splice with rtv, let dry and retape! This eliminates future problems! Too many safety switches on new quads!

im with you.
i would checkinto this before i brought it to the dealershipe. it happened to a freind of mine when his quad was only a few months old.

organiz3d_chaos
08-10-2006, 02:51 PM
They said its not the timining... wish they would hurry up and figure it out...

Digsy
08-10-2006, 03:38 PM
You dint really say if you checked your carb ... allsorts can get in there .. someone on here said they once got shafted by a grass seed in their carb .. it might have been Pappy, I think ...

ohsobad_chevy
08-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Digsy
You dint really say if you checked your carb ... allsorts can get in there .. someone on here said they once got shafted by a grass seed in their carb .. it might have been Pappy, I think ...

Yeah, doesnt take much to clog your pilot circuit up, which will cause the same kinda of problem.

organiz3d_chaos
08-16-2006, 07:52 AM
dealer thinks its the starter now, not really seeing how since it turns over...

and no i didnt get a chance to check the carb...

organiz3d_chaos
08-21-2006, 08:51 AM
hmm.... said it was the starter clutch... i still don't understand how it was the starter if it was turning over stil