PDA

View Full Version : EBay fees, any way to beat them?

derekhonda
07-27-2006, 06:10 PM
Hey guys, I have sold one thing on ebay for like 300 bucks and the fee i ended up paying was $22 and change.

Now I am contemplating putting an argo or two up but need some help. Has anyone sold a car or boat or fourwheeler on there before? How can you list pricy items the cheapest? What is the best way to go about this?

Thanks!

Derek

figair
07-27-2006, 06:18 PM
I used to sell a little on ebay but,Them fees being ebay,and paypal fees really blow a big one.I could maybe understand 1 hell I undersatnd 2% but thats crazy as far as 3%.Then your ebay fees on before that.I guess a bunch of people make big $$$$$$money on there though.Sorry I couldnt help you

Aceman
07-27-2006, 07:06 PM
Jack your shipping costs up. I've never sold but I believe Ebay charges you for the item price without the shipping cost added in. People will keep this in mind when bidding. So if the item sells for lower than usual but with a higher shipping price you just paid less Ebay fees but received the same amount of money. Understand?

Pappy
07-27-2006, 07:45 PM
I pretty much stopped using ebay

When an item gets 200 views and sells for below market, then take out the fee's...

I can list it on this site, get 3 times the veiws and it sells for a fair price with no fee's.

07-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Yeah jack your shipping price;)

Vtr_Racing
07-28-2006, 08:59 PM
The fees have gotten bad. Try not to use the little gadget things that Ebay offers. Buy it now etc...... Start your bit under 10 bucks and only add 1 pic of it. Add a disclaimer to the description that you can pull your item if you dont get "X" amount or state what you want for it. PayPal helps to protect you from thieves. The fees are getting out of whack though.
If you jack with people on shipping your gonna make em mad. Not such a good idea.

Aceman
07-28-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Vtr_Racing
If you jack with people on shipping your gonna make em mad. Not such a good idea.

Why?

If the high shipping price is clearly stated in the auction why would it matter? Is it because some people don't realize I'd rather charge a lot for shipping so I pay less Ebay fees based on the lower sale price? Who cares if I charge $75 shipping for something that probably only costs $15 to ship? I can understand that if it's a 15 dollar part you should only have to pay the actual shipping cost but what if something is selling for a few hundred dollars?

brapbrap13
07-28-2006, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Quad_King
Yeah jack your shipping price;)

yeah but that can be a scam as will. for some idiots that dont no better.

07-29-2006, 07:21 AM
Well there are different fees, there is an insertion fee and then a fee after you sell the item and it's based on what the item sells for. Here are ways to make those as low as possible. I sell items on ebay all the time, my insertion fee is never more than $1.45, why, because I never have a reserve price. All my items start at $1. For that $1.45 you also get enlarged photos and a small photo to the left of the item when it's listed.

The second way to beat the final fee after the item sells is to stop the auction early. Many times bidders will email me and ask if I will stop the auction early. I always tell them yes and shoot them a price and once they pay me via paypal, stop the auction. There are no fees!! Just the original $1.45 insertion fee.

honda350r
07-29-2006, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Kyle_TQRA

The second way to beat the final fee after the item sells is to stop the auction early. Many times bidders will email me and ask if I will stop the auction early. I always tell them yes and shoot them a price and once they pay me via paypal, stop the auction. There are no fees!! Just the original $1.45 insertion fee.

In a black and white world , that is called stealing !!

07-29-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by honda350r

"Stealing"?? How so?? At any time you can stop your auction for any reason!! If that wasn't the case then ebay would not allow you to stop the auction before it completed!

figair
07-29-2006, 09:56 AM
I guess it is,but hey I still think ebay fees and paypal fees are ridiculious.I understand they have to make money.But come on 3% paypal then your ebay fees.
I also understand to jack up the shipping fees and lower the selling price(thats a great idea also)but sometimes they jack the fees up a little to much.Just my 2 cents,heck if theres a loop whole and you figured it out heck why not use it.The Goverment
steals from us everyday(they dont feel bad)Or think there stealing.lol again my 2 cents:D

honda350r
07-29-2006, 10:24 AM
"Stealing"?? How so?? At any time you can stop your auction for any reason!! If that wasn't the case then ebay would not allow you to stop the auction before it completed!

eBay prohibits email offers to buy or sell listed items outside of the eBay Web site. Offers of this nature circumvent eBay's fee structure and are a potential fraud risk for both buyers and sellers.

Some examples of outside of eBay offers include:

Using information obtained through eBay to offer to buy or sell a listed item outside of eBay.

"Canceling a listing to sell to a buyer who became aware of the item through eBay."

Ending a listing early to sell the item at a higher price to the winning bidder.

Fraud,cheating stealing, call it what you will... You are breaking the rules !!

Here are more details http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-spam-non-ebay-sale.html

DieselBoy
07-29-2006, 11:21 AM
A while back my account was "compromised", and my account was shut down. To this day, it's not reinstated, and they want me to fax them all kinds of government ID and Credit card bills verifying my account. I was not happy, I don't think I'll even bother fixing it.

Ebay get's very angry when you end a listing early...

good idea by the way to raise the shipping cost and lower the bidding cost... ebay charges way too much anyway.

honda350r
07-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
[B

good idea by the way to raise the shipping cost and lower the bidding cost... ebay charges way too much anyway. [/B]

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-shipping.html

Ebay will not tolerate that either !

DieselBoy
07-29-2006, 12:14 PM

Ebay will not tolerate that either ! ]

what's left to say? they got ya by the balls.

dpizz450
07-29-2006, 01:28 PM

im not trying to be a @s$ or nothing, but who cares? are you mr e bay or something? if somebody found a way to beat the system why not? the system beats us everyday.

popo
07-29-2006, 01:36 PM
"Stealing"?? How so??

Theft by deception.

jdwxv3
07-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Ebay has the entire system monopolized. I sell most of my stuff on this forum or others. Ebay is just getting crazy on there prices. As far as ending auctions early it is my stuff and I payed an auction fee so I will end it early....to bad for them if they miss out on there final value fees. I wont lose any sleep over it and am sure ebay wont go broke. I just wish another good auction site would come in and give ebay some competition.:ermm:

07-29-2006, 02:55 PM
i just didnt pay them and they went away :huh

derekhonda
07-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts_Suck
i just didnt pay them and they went away :huh

Was this an attempt to be funny, or just you opening your mouth again?

Well, I went ahead and listed it on ebay. $35.30 by the time i put everything i want on there. Hopefull someone just calls and offers and then I can cancel the auction. Thanks guys!

Aceman
07-29-2006, 03:33 PM

Geez, get off the soapbox, you must own Ebay stock. If it makes you feel better, then list your auctions and pay every last fee they throw at you. However, if I ever sell something and I think it's probably going to cost around $20 to ship, I might state there is a $50 flat rate charge.
1. Now I know I will have enough to cover shipping cost.
2. I don't have to make a trip to the post office/UPS store to figure out the actual shipping cost saving me some gas money.
3. I pay a little less auction fees.
4. It doesn't affect anyone bidding on the auction and only results in less fees paid by the seller.

I disagree with using Ebay for product advertising just to sell to anyone that emails an offer. I hate when I'm bidding on something and the seller ends the auction early.:rolleyes:

DieselBoy
07-29-2006, 08:10 PM
I think they need to develop another website, like ebay, but A less fee raping service.

figair
07-30-2006, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
I think they need to develop another website, like ebay, but A less fee raping service.
I agree

NorCalRacer
07-30-2006, 09:08 AM
Then just quit using ebay:rolleyes: I have no problem paying ALL their fees. They are an excellent site and I can sell stuff that would otherwise sit in storage or go to the dump. It is easier than listing in the paper and I usually get MORE than what I wanted for my item. I have made a good bit of money on ebay and have no complaints on the way they do business. If I did, I wouldn't cry about it and try to steal from them, I would find a different way to sell my items honestly. No matter how you rationalize it, cheating fees is stealing. No I don't own stock, I just have a moral upbringing and it has carried me far in life.:D

07-30-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by popo
Theft by deception.

By deception?? Get a grip!! Every one of my auctions I state I have the right to end the auction early due to local advertising!

And someone mentioned paying a 3% paypal fee. I use paypal all the time and never get charged a fee! I don't have a business account is why. Those of you who are being charged a fee allowed paypal to upgrade your account to a premier or business account. The only difference is I cannot accept credit card payments through paypal which I state in my auctions anyway.

Latemodel32
07-30-2006, 10:09 AM
I sell all kinds of ATV stuff on EBay there is no real way to beat it.Suggestion if your going to sell a car,Bike,Quad,ect....Put it in cycletrader or boat bike and rv trader.I have never NOT sold a quad by using one of this weekly books.At one time i thought about using EBay for my quad but didnt. As far as jacking up the shipping costs you run the risk of not selling it.Example would you a buy a "X" product for $5+ $10 s/h or "X" for $5 + $50 s/h ? I would go for the $10 s/h >People who buy the product dont give a SH*t how much we pay for the fees.I guess if you dont like it dont use it. I agree i wish there was another auction site out there.

honda350r
07-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by YZrida
im not trying to be a @s$ or nothing, but who cares? are you mr e bay or something? if somebody found a way to beat the system why not? the system beats us everyday.

Rules are rules .. Who are you Mr dishonest??? I thought the original thread starter would lile to know that more than 3/4 of the people on site don't know shiot !!

Anyone eles want to kick me for telling the truth ???