PDA

View Full Version : Reliability of 450?

pwrhungry
07-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Im not going to be professionally racing it or anything just beating it up anywhere I can find to ride it. Wondering if the engine needs rebuild after so many hours or is it pretty stout and will last me a good while? I try reseaching and there is tons of BS to dig through to find answers.

I read so many posts and reviews to find which quad to get then im narrowed down to the 450 and the 700 yamaha's.

Basically is the 450 durable and reliable?

atva_63
07-27-2006, 02:31 PM
Maintenence and you will be fine

tye101
07-31-2006, 06:21 PM
it holds up very good,, don't wasite your time on a 700

pudamac12
08-04-2006, 02:51 PM
i have four friends with yfz's and three out of the four have had to rebuild them after only two years of riding. the fourth one had the tranny go out and had to have it replaced

tye101
08-05-2006, 12:51 AM
damn, sounds rough on the bikes, maybe should figure out how to knot *uck them up

nicko-31
08-05-2006, 04:07 AM
You know I have to come in on this one,these machines are so high in horse power and teach there are always going to those that don't hold up as well as some,with that said though use your head as with all expensive toys,don't beat the crap out of them put them away dirty and wet and expect them to last,they WON'T.I've never found it possible to change your oil enough clean lubricate adjust and just maintain machines to a high level and just pay attention to what's going on with the thing,any thing and it will greatly reduce your chances of breaking something that's not supposed to break:cool:

infantry317
08-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by pudamac12
i have four friends with yfz's and three out of the four have had to rebuild them after only two years of riding. the fourth one had the tranny go out and had to have it replaced

Some of the 04's had a problem where they machined the cam seats out of alignment so it messes up a lot on the top end.
But I hear you're supposed to rebuild the top end on the yfz every 50hrs from Yamahas recommendation.

tido450
08-05-2006, 05:13 PM
yah two years of riding is a long time on a motor. and a very long time if they ride them hard. it is preventative maintenance to rebuild the topend before it blows up and really does some damage