PDA

View Full Version : rear bearing carrier

Jem8821
07-27-2006, 12:15 PM
Well it finally went, can't belive it hasn't gone sooner but i was lubing my chain and my tires have about 1/4" play up and down...neat! Well i'm a do it yourself kind of guy so i was wondering if there was anything special to taking the rear end apart? i'm trying to loosen the nut on the right side of the swingarm right now...and its barely moving. i'm heating it up, spraying liquid wrench on it...and it still will barely move. Is there something i need to do prior to loosening the nut or is it just years of corrosion/grit? Thanks

Caseys 300ex
07-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Well to take the lock nut off you have to take a little ring off your axle. That ring holds the nut on. Also lock nuts have left handed threads which means you have to go left to tighten and right to loosen.

1.) Make the nut go towards your swingarm. If you go far enough in a little ring should appear.
2.) Take the ring off.
3.) Now you sould be able to take the nut off. Also make sure ur tires and hubs are off. The lock nut also holds the rotor hub on. So slide the rotor off. Make sure the brake caliper is off also.
4.) Now slide your axle out. You can leave the sprocket on because thats the side you will be pulling on to take the axle out.

I hope this helps you at all.

Jem8821
07-27-2006, 03:25 PM
ehh...i don't recall seeing a little ring...i'll have to look agian(real good...) and see but i didn't see one at the time. i have the jam nut backed off the big nut, its the big nut(on the far right) i'm having trouble turning. Thanks for the reply, hate having my quad down :(

Jem8821
07-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Thanks to you guys i'm all ready to put my new bearings in, thanks!