PDA

View Full Version : new guy. need some help.

STRIKER
07-27-2006, 08:52 AM
hello everyone. i was reading some of the posts on this site, mabe i can get some direction from some of you guys. i have a stock honda 1995 300ex (My wifes) it has been pretty babied and not ridden very hard. the front sprocket has stripped the splines off the countergear!! the splines on the (stock) sprocket are not in bad shape! im wodering if anyone out there has had a similar problem.. what could cause this? i would think the shaft should be surface hardned to wear the sprocket splines??? next question, honda dealer wants $250.00 for the parts, 7 bills for labor. i could tear it down, not sure about getting the tranny back together. makes me wonder what a new 300 motor/tranny would cost! any opionions and suggestions would be great! thanks.

underpowered
07-27-2006, 10:45 AM
this may sound like a stupid question, but does your wife have small hands? i have had a few 300ex as had my older brother and we have never managed to strip the countershaft, but my cousins (12 &150 have stripped the sountershaft on 3 diefferent ones. The reason is their hands are not large enough to fully release the clutch lever and "pop" it the last part of it's movement. over time this "popping' of the clutch wears teh countershaft. i have seen it many times, usually from riders with small hands. they just cannot properly release teh clutch lever and cause this.

86 Quad R
07-27-2006, 11:17 AM
you have a pm