PDA

View Full Version : Does this require rejetting?

Woodrowbt
07-26-2006, 09:39 PM
Would you have to rejet applying a new filter?

I am clueless on the whole "how to" on rejetting or when i need to rejet.

I bought this bike brand new from the dealer about a week ago with an aftermarket exhaust and they said they jetted it. Didn't ask too many questions on it, because basically i didn't know much about jetting.

It is a 05 bike they had on display for a few months. The bike itself runs very nice at the moment and i don't even regret buying it, but wouldn't mind putting some more power into it.

I was going to get a K&N filter for it, maybe change the air box lid, and maybe get a rev box

I do ride in some mud on the trails i go on(nothing that goes real deep though). So i don't know if a modified airbox lid would be a good idea???

just curious about the whole rejetting situation. i have gotten a lot of information just reading some of the other threads here, just need to know if i should rejet doing anything that i have mentioned above.

i'm sure i can find some instructions on how to do it some where on the internet or this site, just need to know when i need to do it.

thanks alot for any help

:)

plkmonster2
07-26-2006, 09:58 PM
Anytime you increase air flow, you should rejet. A new filter is so minimal, I would not worry. With the airbox off, I'd try a 155. That is what i run. Tad rich in summer, but it still runs very nice. In winter, I run a 158. The 155 is a little lean. It bogs off of a dead idle to full in 3rd or higher. A new cam, or piston also requires jetting.

Woodrowbt
07-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Would it be a bad idea running a bike through water and mud with no lid on your box though?

Seen some lids with a cloth like cover....like the ones that go over your filter.....dunno if those would work to well.

Is it a huge power gain with out a lid? or with the cloth like lid?

sorry for all the dumb questions......never done any of this ...was mainly on utility bikes back in the day.

400eXr1d3rZ
07-26-2006, 10:30 PM
Its not a huge power gain without lid, but its like 0.5hp to 1hp, if you have stock air filter or twinair filter you can get a Outerwear and take your lid off, outerwear is waterproof and stops dirt from coming in.

I would rather take the lid off, instead of buy another lid.

This is a question for you people without air lids. When you clean your bike, do you put the lid back on?

buster024
07-26-2006, 11:17 PM
I don't run an airbox lid, but I always put it on when I'm cleaning it or hosing it off. If I know I'm going somewhere that has water, I'll re-jet and throw the lid back on.

By the way, Woodbro -- my advice is to definitely do the work yourself. I just got into sport riding as well, and if you take your time, and ask questions you'll have no probs. After the first time you do it, you can re-jet in about 15 minutes. Good luck!!!

buster024
07-26-2006, 11:21 PM
One more thing, if all you do is drop a filter in, you probably won't need to re-jet. Your bike won't be running top notch, but you may not be able to really tell until you're more familiar with your ride. Once you start takin' the lid off, and running new slip-ons etc., you'll really need to rejet, or you will lose noticeable power.

Good luck again!

Woodrowbt
07-27-2006, 07:08 AM
thanks a lot. :)

07-27-2006, 08:44 AM
I cut holes in the lid, and put some very fine mesh screen material over the holes.

I also make sure I don't go in water deepr than my snorkel, and that assures I won't go in water deep enuf to get in my air box lid holes.