PDA

View Full Version : 426 cam ?

Daver
07-26-2006, 09:02 PM
i used to run 400 11:1 with Stage1 hotcam
and was very happy with the preformance
was ahead in front when racing modded 400 and lots of 426, but i just got 426 still 11:1 but thinner head gasket , and i don`t feel like its got much more power , (but feel much more heat) should i change my cam ? i read somewhere not to use stage one on higher than 426 what is the reason for that ?

answer from GPracer2500 would be apreciated , or anybody that know lots bout 4EX

Wheelie
07-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Step up to a stage 2 or something comparable to a stage 2.

FYI--I running a stage 3/stroker cam in my 440 stroker and love it.

plkmonster2
07-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Is the engine fully broken in, and properly jetted? Coudl be lean if it wasn't rejetted. I would definitely get a new cam. A stage one is mostly low end, the new stage 3 is mostly top, and the new stage 2 is all around. If you do mx, I'd go for a stage 1. For pure dune or wide open, stage 3. All types of riding suits the stage 2. The stage 1 has more lift and less duration than the stage 3 for more low end. The stage 3 has more duration and more overlap, so it is better at higher rpm's. At low rpm's, the overlap slightly lowers compression, because the exhaust and intake velocity is not there. The stage two has more duration and more lift than stock to give a nice increase all around. If you can find a HRC cam, get that. They are sweet, but expensive. I was told that the new Stage 2 is close, but are the specs the same?

GPracer2500
07-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by plkmonster2
...HRC cam...Stage 2....are the specs the same?

Lift/duration specs can be found here: http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=237131

Those are the specs for every cam I can find that publishes the specs. If anyone has specs for any cam not listed, LMK and I'll add it.

AFAIK, the HC stg 2 is probably a better choice for a 426. I think a 426 needs a little more valve duration than offered by the stg 1 for the best all-around performance. With a 426 and a stg 1 the cylinder is probably struggling to completely fill with intake charge at mid-upper rpm. Stg 1 should work fine, stg 2 probably better all-around.

johnsls
07-27-2006, 06:25 AM
I just recently got the 426 w/stage II by HotCams,, it really woke up my engine,, I rode other stock 400's and this just blows them away.
I only dragged raced against a stockk 400ex and some kind of either yamaha I think a 350, newer bike but blew him away.

I higher rpm's theres no controling the engine,, it just explodes power,, I'm still getting into it but notice the more you get the rpm's up the better it is.

I know I should seriously think about getting a new CDI with higher rev..

I'm not too sure but from what I've tried reading it improves response time etc...

my 2¢

EXevan91
07-27-2006, 08:41 AM
FYI the stage 1 hc is a mid-top end cam just like the stage 2, just more mild. And the 3 is well top end