PDA

View Full Version : Problem

Toadz400
07-26-2006, 08:43 PM
I've got a race coming up in a couple of days so I really need to figure out what the problem is.

Sunday I was at the track and noticed that when riding mine ('05 w/ cam mod, intake, exhaust) I would get extremely tired before the first lap was done. When I'd ride my friend's stock '06 I could go 4-5 laps wide open and not even get winded. I noticed that with mine I was struggling to hang on more because of how hard the power hit compared to the '06. So today I set out to undo the cam mod. I had no problem doing that but my problem sets in when I started it up to take it for a ride. It cranks over but doesn't fire unless I give it some gas but it quickly revs up and dies again. It doesn't sound good at all because it will rev too much and backfire when it dies. Other things I did during the cam setback was: cleaned filter, moved clip up one position, and adjusted the throttle cable. I'm thinking maybe I messed something up on the carb that would cause it to act this way, or is it possible it's the cams? The cams were lined up correctly so I don't see how that could be the problem (Although I think I'm going to go out and take it apart and check again to make sure).

One thing that pops up in my mind was when I had the carb out (I disconnected the throttle cable and had it alongside the YFZ because I didn't want to disconnect the TPS) I noticed this black plastic screw on the backside of the carb. It wasn't screwed in all the way so I took it out and it had a spring assembly underneath it with what looks to be some type of plug with two holes in it. I put it back in the way it looked like it was supposed to be (the holes lining up) and tightened it all the way. Now I'm wondering if maybe I wasn't supposed to tighten it down all the way?

Could it possibly be the TPS even though I didn't remove it? I did have the carb kinda twisted around for awhile so maybe it caused a disturbance in the TPS? I'm just kinda freaking out now because all I wanted to do was have the normal mild YFZ power back so I could last throughout a race and now it doesn't even run right. Someone please help me out or confirm that it's possibly the cams not being right, that mystery black plastic screw, or the TPS.

I'm heading back out to check on the cams again and if that's not it, I'm pulling some hair out.