PDA

View Full Version : Warning for Pro-Armor Kill Switch users...

450RGNCC
07-26-2006, 08:37 PM
I have a Pro Armor kill switch installed on my 450r, and I had to actually use it for the first time on Sunday. I was on a straightaway 4th gear pinned, and this little kicker snuck up on me... anyway, when I fell off of the bike, the tether where the two parts of the cord are clinched together with the metal band failed. I am assuming that the metal was not pinched tight enough, so the cord slipped out and my quad kept running, right into a ravine. So, please check your cords, because i do not want this to happen to anyone else.

P.S. Thank you Splatter Matter for the pic

07-26-2006, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by 450RGNCC
I have a Pro Armor kill switch installed on my 450r, and I had to actually use it for the first time on Sunday. I was on a straightaway 4th gear pinned, and this little kicker snuck up on me... anyway, when I fell off of the bike, the tether where the two parts of the cord are clinched together with the metal band failed. I am assuming that the metal was not pinched tight enough, so the cord slipped out and my quad kept running, right into a ravine. So, please check your cords, because i do not want this to happen to anyone else.

P.S. Thank you Splatter Matter for the pic

same thing happened to me, my metal clip ripped off

Sjorge450R
07-27-2006, 05:34 AM
also happens with pro-designs.

tltcracing
07-27-2006, 09:57 AM
wow. never herd of that happening... hope your bike was alright. i guess you could just pinch the clip more with some pliers to make sure it wont happen again.

450RGNCC
07-27-2006, 10:02 AM
My bike was fine except for a few scratches, but I think that pinching the clip more would help

raptor660r70
07-28-2006, 03:52 PM
i check mine periodically by getting off the quad and walking away with the tether still hooked to me. that way you can check both ends at once, then i will physically check the ends right after i do that.

Sjorge450R
07-28-2006, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by raptor660r70
i check mine periodically by getting off the quad and walking away with the tether still hooked to me. that way you can check both ends at once, then i will physically check the ends right after i do that.

its a little different when you get thrown from your quad. I also check mine by pulling it every once in a while (after I wash it).

raptor660r70
07-28-2006, 04:23 PM
its a little different when you get thrown from your quad. I also check mine by pulling it every once in a while (after I wash it).

i can imagine, i usally do mine before , during and after every race. plus when i go through tech they usually check them.

400exrider707
07-28-2006, 10:22 PM
Yeah they only fail when you need them...right after you fall off unexpectedly. I had it happen with my pro-design. My 400ex chugged along in 3rd gear by itself until it started climbing a hill and gravity overcame it and it stalled.

Your best bet is to totally remove the clip from the tether all together. I take the cord and run it right through my chest protector and then loop it through itself so it will physically either have to pull through my chest protector, or rip the cord itself. Bending the metal clips more will not help, they will just then be weaker than before. This has been idiot tested by my buddy who cant seem to stay on his quad.:ermm: