PDA

View Full Version : New way to clean white plastics...

450RGNCC
07-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Well, today I was cleaning my 250r for the last time, as I am selling it, and I noticed that my white plastics had some stains on them and were starting to discolor... So I looked to my side, and I see the bottle of Wesley's white wall tire cleaner, and since it is a bleach, I thought that I would give it a try. Well, it worked wonderfully. I sprayed some on and scrubed it with a rag and the plastic came out very white and it also seemed a lot shinier. I do not know if anyone else has already posted this, but if not than I suggest trying this if you have white plastics.

Lolli2
07-27-2006, 06:16 AM
Never heard of the stuff but I will definitely look for it. I've heard people are using that Mr. Clean magic eraser too. I saw those at Walmart in the hardware section. I haven't tried them personally. There's a white wall one of those too.

Where did you get that Wesley's stuff from?

400eXr1d3rZ
07-27-2006, 07:15 AM
Doh, if I get white plastics, im gonna keep a few bottles of that around :p

450RGNCC
07-27-2006, 08:14 AM
I get it from auto parts stores, but im pretty sure that they sell it at wal-mart too. The magic eraser makes the plastic white, but it also makes them dull and completely take away the shine.

Wandell
07-28-2006, 01:49 PM
Westley's will eat up aluminum (corrode it). I can't imagine it is good for your plastic. Ever see aluminim wheels on a car or truck that look almost white? That's caused from cleaning them with acid or Westleys.

Pappy
07-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Wandell
Westley's will eat up aluminum (corrode it). I can't imagine it is good for your plastic. Ever see aluminim wheels on a car or truck that look almost white? That's caused from cleaning them with acid or Westleys.

10-4, westleys contains a mild acid and should never be used on anything metal! certain metals are ok, but any painted powdercoated or polished metals will be harmed.

450RGNCC
07-29-2006, 08:46 AM
Well, I guess that the acid takes off the dirt then, however it does not harm the plastic at all. Just think, the bottle that it comes in is plastic. I do not see any reason to not use this method, other than just be careful where you spray it when you use it, or just take the plastic off completely.

tltcracing
08-03-2006, 02:02 PM
does the dirt stick to it when you ride? i did a similar thing with my boots(black) and the "wet" tire shine stuff. before i could even get the boots on at the track the dust stuck to them and made them almost red. but it washed off easy but then so did the shine.:(

450RGNCC
08-04-2006, 03:38 PM
I did not have a chance to ride my 250r after that, but this product is just a cleaner. Tire shine leaves a coating on the plastic, but this product is only a cleaner, and leaves no residue on the plastic, so I would assume that it would not collect dust as quickly as tire shine does.

pnut420
08-07-2006, 01:21 PM
Tire shine is not good to use at all, maybe if you have 20 inch rims on your quad and take it to shows.

I used some stuff called orange brite or something like that, its really cheap like $2 a bottle at ace hardware. It cleans everything real good and leaves a nice shine. It got just about everything but a black spot from my boots, so Ill try the wesleys for that.

Everyone thinks putting glossy stuff like tire shine, etc... helps, but all its does is put a fake shine on there thats just wears off first ride and collects dust, best way to keep them shiney is to keep them clean.

Ive heard of some people spraying wd40 on their plastics to help keep mud and junk from collecting. I tried it before and it worked good, but gotta keep it away from wear your legs are.

Iliketogofast
08-10-2006, 09:02 AM
Yup, I use it on my air scoops. It works like a charm... My mom uses it on our boat and it works well for that, too.

The two best things for colored plastic, though, are Formula 2000 cleaner in a neon green bottle, and Orange Glo floor polish.

Armorall and Black magic (protectant or tire shine, anything by them) wipes off very easy and doesn't bring nearly the level of super wet shine that the ones I mentioned do.

I've also heard good stuff about Son of a Gun, but I don't know exactly what that is.

Maxima carries a Silicone Detailer spray that I just ordered and I expect good results from it, too. If it sucks I'm sending it back. :D

cchrider
08-11-2006, 12:25 AM
Might work good for white plastics. I dont have white anymore I am running yellow maier plastic. But simple green and a S.O.S pad works great for stains.

f4istunna
08-14-2006, 10:15 AM
i've used soft scrub on my white plastic came out great, was all stained up also. Also used sos pads before then polished the little scratches out w/ hand polish made it look like new.

bwamos
08-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Good old SOS pad (white only) then some Mop&Glow (any color). ;)

poolguy55
09-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Hey guys.. as you can tell by the username, I am a pool guy. Last year I threw my white plastics for my oddysey into my own pool for a few days and kept the chlorine residual up. They came out sparkly new looking. Like anything else, it might not work for everybody, but I ride a lot in the clay and had a lot of that red staining and it worked like a charm. My mom used to do that with our white plastic patio furniture. Cheers!

trx400exxracer
09-09-2006, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Good old SOS pad (white only) then some Mop&Glow (any color). ;)

yup mop & glow works

440racer66
09-17-2006, 07:28 PM
any body try bleach????????

rap700
09-20-2006, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by pnut420
Tire shine is not good to use at all, maybe if you have 20 inch rims on your quad and take it to shows.

I used some stuff called orange brite or something like that, its really cheap like $2 a bottle at ace hardware. It cleans everything real good and leaves a nice shine. It got just about everything but a black spot from my boots, so Ill try the wesleys for that.

Everyone thinks putting glossy stuff like tire shine, etc... helps, but all its does is put a fake shine on there thats just wears off first ride and collects dust, best way to keep them shiney is to keep them clean.

Ive heard of some people spraying wd40 on their plastics to help keep mud and junk from collecting. I tried it before and it worked good, but gotta keep it away from wear your legs are.
I spray everything but the seat, handcontrols, and footconrols with wd40 after washing works great, and helps alot with keeping mud off when riding. I should buy stock in wd40 :D. I use mean green to wash with. Works great It seems to work better than simple green.

shaff107
09-20-2006, 09:55 AM
I use this as all over cleaner ... have powercoated and Special metal part and this stuff has never hurt anything ... cleans all black PC spot less ... have been doing this with the PC for alittle over a year and has not bother it yet still looks new !

THIS STUFF IS AWESOME!