PDA

View Full Version : 06' 450er wont start when hot

jmiller450er
07-26-2006, 07:34 PM
My 06 450er is next to impossible to start when hot. When cold it fires right up. When hot it will bump start with no problems. I have heard of others having this problem, and just wanted to know if you had any luck getting the dealer to do something about it under warranty. Mine is in the shop right now, but my dealer tried to play stupid when I told him about mine. He said they replace a few starter clutches, but haven't heard about a hot start problem. Let me know if you've had this problem and/or if your dealer did anything about it please. Thanks!

P.S. my 450er is stock with a hmf slip-on, no airlid mods

Phills450r
07-26-2006, 07:47 PM
i have heard about people turning the idle up a little bit.. but not really positive.. give it a try. sorry if i didn't help

400excracer
07-26-2006, 08:44 PM
My 450ER takes longer to start when it is hot, but it always starts. It does start easier when cold. I dont think of it as a problem, just more of a quirk. Every motor starts a little different.

wanna_be_ridn
07-26-2006, 10:55 PM
i never really had a problem with mine starting slow, and i have always heard of ppl saying diff things about starting taking long, or starter seems to be slow but mine has always started very fast, i mean dont get me wrong there has been a few times it has took a sec but never seemed to a constant problem. and i agree with 400exracer every motor is a lil diff.

DirtDevilBT
07-26-2006, 11:46 PM
Does the ER have a hot start? If not damn, if so you might have something wrong with it if you are using it with no luck. I dunno.

07-27-2006, 06:20 AM
no hot start on the er.

i turned the idle up a little, but that was to elimante the bog. i think it makes hot starting a little harder.

so i just put a smaller leak jet in for the bog so i ca get the idle back down

4ABURN
07-27-2006, 06:22 AM
I tuned up the idle and put a 45 pilot in and now it starts great when hot never a problem. even in the woods climbing hills.:D

ckasper18
07-27-2006, 06:29 AM
Bunp your slow jet up one number or buy the hrc needle kit part number is 16020-NLZ-610 for the 06 the 04-05 number is 16020-NLZ-651.

chad502ex
07-27-2006, 09:30 AM
hit the "HOT START" handlebart lever. Oh wait, the 06 doesn't have one like the 04/05 does, DOH!

What was honda thinking?

quadhauler
07-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Check your valve adjustment. Hard starting is a tell tale sign...

trick250r
07-27-2006, 01:24 PM
ive never had any problems with mine starting hot... did you re-jet when you put the pipe on?

jmiller450er
07-27-2006, 09:35 PM
I turned the idle up. HMF gave me a bigger slow jet, and I'm still using stock main (120 i think). I put on an adustable air/fuel screw, and the adjustable needle (3rd clip). I haven't made any air lid modifications, and it runs perfect. I was having the hot start problem before I got the slip-on. Dealer did my first tune up and checked the valves.

I've got the newest quad out of all my buddies, and I'm the one everyone has to stop and help bump all the time. I'm the only one on a Honda too, so I never hear the end of it. At least when I get it started I blow away the yfz's and 400's. Just wish the damn thing would start when it's hot.

quadhauler
07-28-2006, 08:18 AM
Are you giving it any gas when you try and start it?

Dave400ex
07-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Mine's the same way, they suck starting when they are hot.

Flodies400ex
07-28-2006, 12:59 PM
you have to rejet it when you put a pipe on and or a k&n and thats maybe the problem I think because thats what happened to my 400ex

trx400exxracer
07-28-2006, 01:03 PM
well guys your f#ck3d pretty much Santo DeRisi said there is no way to make the er better so just put a kicker on there like i am doing thats just what it comes down to i am putting a kicker on mine cause the electric sucks and there is no way you can make it work like the kicker:D

Flodies400ex
07-28-2006, 01:43 PM
it is kind of dumb that they made it all in the case for the 450ER and they should consider putting in outside the case then it would be alright but man you pissed or something lol

trx400exxracer
07-28-2006, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Flodies400ex
it is kind of dumb that they made it all in the case for the 450ER and they should consider putting in outside the case then it would be alright but man you pissed or something lol

who me nahh just tellin it like it is as of now the electric start sucks and there aint nothin to d about it except just to get a kciker installed

Flodies400ex
07-28-2006, 02:10 PM
and now can you have starter and kicker or no because why spend all the dang money and i havnt had no problems with my starter

trx400exxracer
07-28-2006, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Flodies400ex
and now can you have starter and kicker or no because why spend all the dang money and i havnt had no problems with my starter

yeah i will have e-start and kick and the money is worth it

e-start sucks in xc racing especially when it gets hot and on the starts but i think the only thing you can do is lean out the pilot jet and that is as good as you will get other than a kicker

fatkid400
07-28-2006, 06:40 PM
Mine has always started allitle hard since the 1st day I got it. its not as bad as some people sounds like thiers is tho.It got a little better when I jetted for the fmf,also turning up the idle does help.Check your battery to. If its cranking to slow they start real hard.

DirtDevilBT
07-28-2006, 10:50 PM
ATTENTION!!!!

Instead of getting a kick starter for a paid for ER, just get a 41mm FCR with the hot start and TPS. You can sell the stock carb and keep the e-start. Or just look at the thousands of threads about this problem and change your leak jets, pilot jets, or whatever other jets the FCR has.

I don't understand the problem. Hell, for the first 7 months of so I totally forgot about my hotstart, kicked and kicked but it would fire up the 3-4th kick. I think you just need to try some other things before listing to someone tell you there is no hope, however popular he is.

trx400exxracer
07-29-2006, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by DirtDevilBT
ATTENTION!!!!

Instead of getting a kick starter for a paid for ER, just get a 41mm FCR with the hot start and TPS. You can sell the stock carb and keep the e-start. Or just look at the thousands of threads about this problem and change your leak jets, pilot jets, or whatever other jets the FCR has.

I don't understand the problem. Hell, for the first 7 months of so I totally forgot about my hotstart, kicked and kicked but it would fire up the 3-4th kick. I think you just need to try some other things before listing to someone tell you there is no hope, however popular he is.
]
if you didnt know not alot of people paid for the er cause they wanted some paid for it cause there are not many kickers

and why would you change the carb wouldnt that be downsizing cause they updated the carb this year not sure what carb you are talking about

and the ER is horrible no matter how much you do to it it will be no better than kick and not worth it in the end its just more to make it a lil better

FoxRacing81
07-29-2006, 08:48 AM
We put a new perch on my buddies 450r and took the hot start off. That thing fires up 1st kick when its hot with no hot start.

DirtDevilBT
07-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by FoxRacing81
We put a new perch on my buddies 450r and took the hot start off. That thing fires up 1st kick when its hot with no hot start.

Lol, well give this guy his old hot start! Help him out.:D

PS> The 41mm MX FCR has a Hot start on it. It would be the carb I'd update to from my 04 stocker. The 06 is a 40mm FCR but without HS. And people bought the e-start because everyone *****ed about the kickers and the YFZ's were making bank getting all the lazy people. I don't think the ER is as bad as you put it, there arn't that many threads about problems other than bogging mostly and that's fixed with a new leak jet and quick shot. ;) :D

jmiller450er
08-09-2006, 05:59 PM
Called Honda told them about my problem same day I dropped it off at the dealer. My 6 month warranty ran out today, Honda assured me they would fix the problem free of charge after my warranty expired if I still had the problem when I got it back from the dealer. Dealer calls today.... come get your quad it's ready. Get to the dealer and ask the service manager what they did to it. He replys 'nothing, there is nothing wrong with your quad'. He explains to me that he had 3 different mechanics ride my quad till hot, and none of them had a problem getting it to start back up. I explained to him I only had the problem when it was REALLY hot, and almost never would start if I stalled it. He still replys 'We couldn't find anything wrong with it'. So I offer to show him exactly what it was doing. He tells me he can't let me ride around the dealerships parking lot w/o a helmet, after offering to lend me one, then saying sorry he didn't have an extra one around for me to use since I didnt have mine with me. He then hands me a bill for $65 telling me that because they couldnt find a problem I have to pay for the time they spent trying to find the problem. When I dropped my quad off it was spottless, I take pride in cleaning and maintaning my quad. As I walked into the dealership I noticed my quad was dirty, not filthy but mud in the wheel wells and all over my fenders. So by now my blood is boiling and the curse words are flying. After explaining in not so gentle words that I was taking my quad and what he can do with the $65 bill he tried to give me, he tries to tell me maybe its my fault and that it must something I'm doing to it that is causing the problem.

I by no means am a mechanical genius, nor am I a moron when it comes to starting, riding or general maintenance on quads. I read the manual, I know not to touch the gas when starting. I know not to hold the start button down for more than 5 seconds and to let it cool after trying. I bumped my idle up, and still can't avoid the occassional stall on the trails in the woods. The starter spins fine, it just wont fire up for me when hot after a stall and sometimes after just turning it off hot, then trying to start it.

So when I get home from dealer I get on the horn and call Honda up and speak to the same rep I spoke to when I called the day I dropped the quad off. Honda tells me to take it to another dealer and get a second opinion. They were very polite and calmed me down rather well as my wife would attest too. They also assured me that even though my warranty is expired that Honda will fix it free of charge to me because I called them before my warranty ran out.

I'm now worried that if I take it to another dealer they will give me the same run around bull crap. Even though I'm not happy about the whole starting issue, I do love my quad and dont want to go without it for another 2 weeks to a month for another dealer to mess with it. I realize that there are lots of 06' 450er owners out there that havent had a single issue with there er starting, hot cold or whatever. Consider yourself lucky. I am very unhappy and dont know where to go from here. I know I'll catch a lot of crap for saying this in here but.... I wish I would have got the yfz.

Dave400ex
08-09-2006, 06:17 PM
JMiller450er mine is the same way. I'm taking it to the dealer next Monday. Where can I find the number for my local Honda rep?

jmiller450er
08-09-2006, 06:23 PM
I used the number for Honda in my owners manual. 1-866-784-1870.

trx400exxracer
08-09-2006, 06:32 PM
i wouldnt recomend taking it to a dealer i wouldnt let anyone pretty much touch my 450er i think all they will do is wear it out waste gas and all and get the fun out of riding it and say there is nothing wrong with it JMO i would try the hotstart thing up there someone menched about we are going to try that and mabye kick on mine but we will see how hotstart is:D

Dave400ex
08-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Mine will be perfectly clean before taking it there, so if they ride it much, I will know. I have read a few people trying a carb with a hot start and it not helping. I'm just going to get the kicker. How much does Santo sell his kit for?

ckasper18
08-15-2006, 07:37 AM
We also had a customer with the same problems and we spent hours and it worked perfect here at the shop the following weekend he would call back with the same issues.What we finally found was starter clutch was not turning the motor fast enough after replacing that and WALLA she was fixed.Dont give up dealerships maybe try a different one...

We have several times had customers bring stuff in with problems and as soon as they get to the shop there fixed untill they leave again your bike should have been clean when you got it back.You did the correct thing by calling Honda with your problem and when you called them back and told them the response of the dealership that does npt sit good with Honda they dont like that.Next time before you leave the shop have a cell phone and call the rep while your standing there and explain to him there attitude.

On another note nobody is perfect not even you and sometimes we all need to try again.............Chris

Dave400ex
08-15-2006, 12:53 PM
Well I finally took mine to the dealership yesterday with this problem. Hopefully they do something. I'm expecting them to call and say it's fine though. Mine better not be dirty when I get it back either!