PDA

View Full Version : jet sizes .. i never noticed before ...

lee37vernon
07-26-2006, 02:13 PM
i just got to looking down some jets as i'm gonna need to put a carb on my r shortly . the larger the jet number the smaller the diameter the hole ..... !!!
i know i've read it here before however would someone like to explain why you use a smaller jet when up sizing the carb ? i know something to do with air velocity . i never realised tho like i say that the hole got smaller as the number got higher , i would have thought the other way round which is why i'd like to know the theory behind it ..

SET THE STAGE
07-26-2006, 02:17 PM
maybe it's just on certain carbs because i'm almost certain the hole on my old blasters mikuni round-slide had a bigger hole with the a larger size jet

lee37vernon
07-26-2006, 03:21 PM
mikuni are probably different to keihin then , i know on the mikuni the numbers are way higher for a similar size jet to the keihin .

fireburns99
07-26-2006, 04:21 PM
are you sure???I'm almost postive that the size of the hole gets larger as the number does. The air velocity wouldn't have anything to do with the main jet. It just allows the gas to mix with the air. Maybe you have a special carb, and/or jets?

GPracer2500
07-26-2006, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by lee37vernon
i just got to looking down some jets as i'm gonna need to put a carb on my r shortly . the larger the jet number the smaller the diameter the hole ..... !!!
i know i've read it here before however would someone like to explain why you use a smaller jet when up sizing the carb ? i know something to do with air velocity . i never realised tho like i say that the hole got smaller as the number got higher , i would have thought the other way round which is why i'd like to know the theory behind it ..

What jets are you looking at? All the Keihin and Mikuni jets I've ever seen definitely have larger holes for larger jet numbers.

250R_4_ever
07-26-2006, 09:03 PM
the Bigger the number the Bigger the jet hole

see by your self
they are classified from the smallest (152) to the biggest (200)

:eek2:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b332/volks_r_us/jetbox.jpg

lee37vernon
07-27-2006, 12:00 AM
well thats bizzare ! ! carb came from a member on this site with spare jets .. did think it was odd when i looked .
dont recall drinking that much last night either :huh

maybe i need glasses but i'll have another look , odd though !!!

hang1p
07-27-2006, 01:45 AM
maybe in England thats how it goes Don't you guy's drive on the other side of the road too. Over here in Maine bigger #'s means more fuel or bigger hole:D

lee37vernon
07-27-2006, 05:36 AM
i found out whats going on , i think !!

i have 7 spare jets with this carb , 155 , 162 , 165 , 170 .. you look down these and they are indeed sized as you'd expect ..

its then when you look at the other 4 things get weird , 210 , 220, 230 and 240 ... these are all way smaller than the first three , but bigger than each other in turn .

now i think these last 4 must be mikuni jets , i know that the numbers are way higher . when i think about it the member the carb came from does say he runs a 200+ sumething jet .. wonder if he's got one of those in his R ...

and HANG1UP , i do just what it says on the bottom of my driving license ..... ' TEAR ALONG THE DOTTED LINE ' :devil:

250R_4_ever
07-27-2006, 07:43 AM
wohhhhhhhhhhh

Bro you are confusing Keihin jets and mikuni which are NOT the Same

it's not because you have 280 mikuni main jet that a 180 Keihin main is gonna be smaller

mikuni and keihin are not gauge the same ways

mikuni will always a bigger number for the same size hole .That's how the rated there jets size

I didn't get first place cuz i didnt notice you where comparing mikuni main VS Keihin Main

btw they are not interchangeble

All 250r came with a keihin 34mm PJ Carb

lee37vernon
07-27-2006, 12:48 PM
i know this , this was not what i was saying .
my point was that maybe the jets i had numbered in the 200's which are SMALLER than the ones in the 160's etc are obviously not the correct keihin jets , i assumed maybe they'd be mikuni , as mikuni have a higher numbering system than that of the keihin .
however if they dont interchange then who knows what these jets are ?? they fit keihin but the numbers on them dont figure .maybe their cheap copies with dodgy numbers . anyhow their destined for the bin !!

BLACKeR
07-27-2006, 03:26 PM
could be from any jet kit, i way back in the day when i was dumber bought a K&N jet kit the numbering was completely different than what was in my stock carb, yet the jets fit fine.

zedicus00
07-27-2006, 08:10 PM
hey lee member when i sold you that i told you the jets over 200 were knock offs and would need to be redrilled if you wanted to use them? most performance shops can do that. though it may be cheeper to buy new jets, just depends on the shop... we get forget full in our old age.

:p

lee37vernon
07-28-2006, 03:43 AM
i recall now , bit off on the old sizing though whoever made these were'nt they . lol .

destined for the bin for price of new jets :) just threw me when i was looking at them deciding where to start my jetting at . thought i was going mad for a bit :huh

zedicus00
07-28-2006, 06:08 AM
i cant vouch for your sanity but yes the jet sizes were a ways off... actually i compared them to some jets in the 140 - 150 range and they were pretty close.

peeping TOM
07-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by hang1p
maybe in England thats how it goes Don't you guy's drive on the other side of the road too. Over here in Maine bigger #'s means more fuel or bigger hole:D

no m8 it's u american's who drive on the other side . ...lee keihin go up to 200 ,,,,,, got u mot yet ??????

lee37vernon
07-28-2006, 11:04 AM
waiting for oddments now , thats it . need me a pipe and seat latch and bits so it stays in 1 peice . soon as it turns up and i have it dialled in i'm off up the garage :D

GPracer2500
07-28-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by peeping TOM
...keihin go up to 200...

Keihin hex head mains actually go up to 230. It's not especially common to see them past 200 though...

fireburns99
07-28-2006, 11:30 AM
yea i can't imagine the motor that would take anything more than 200. My stock bore takes a 190, and it's really built.